Lenbrook Acquires MQA!

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Tidal MQA now sounds good on Android following the update on 17th January.
Is this all pure coincidence or is it linked to the Lenbrook acquisition I wonder...

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Tidal MQA now sounds good on Android following the update on 17th January.
Is this all pure coincidence or is it linked to the Lenbrook acquisition I wonder...
It is just your imagination a security update would change the sound.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Rexp

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
One wonders if Tidal is reconsidering the switch in light of the Lenbrook news.

Nope, looks like you can kiss MQA goodbye April 10, 2024. Tidal is moving to one tier except for DJs. Nobody seems to care what Lenbrook is doing except for you.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Nope, looks like you can kiss MQA goodbye April 10, 2024. Tidal is moving to one tier except for DJs. Nobody seems to care what Lenbrook is doing except for you.
They are merging the Hifi tier with Hi res tier, can't see any mention of stopping MQA on April 10?

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
They are merging the Hifi tier with Hi res tier, can't see any mention of stopping MQA on April 10?
Tidal is tired of an extremely effective boycott against their MQA tier and they are getting rid of it as a cost cutting measure. And of course, Block Inc is moving Tidal out of the streaming market since they can’t compete.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Tidal is tired of an extremely effective boycott against their MQA tier and they are getting rid of it as a cost cutting measure. And of course, Block Inc is moving Tidal out of the streaming market since they can’t compete.
Please share links to these facts.

Reactions: Daverich4

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Tidal may be done but Lenbrook could offer a streaming service.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
Tidal may be done but Lenbrook could offer a streaming service.
Hope not, I'd rather see Lenbrook re launch MQA with a name change and new mission statement that it's purpose is to improve the sound of poor digital recordings, not all digital recordings.

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
That’s fine that some like MQA-formatted music. But it is something else when these few try to convince others MQA is a genuinely competitive hi-rez format, it’s sound is the cat’s meow, and MQA’s intentions were white as snow.

Maybe this will help some better understand MQA's sonic performance from one who just might be among the most qualified to speak. Hopefully, the reader already knows a little something about Peter Moncrieff’s reputation / listening skills.

Anyway, Moncrieff is rather wordy and then some as he often times is. Nevertheless, so well worth the read.

As for me, I'm most fond of two particular MQA performance-related quotes...

1. "For the first time you will hear EXACTLY what the engineers heard in the studio." (since they made no mention of equipment I'm guessing systems and configs. no longer mattered)

2. Listening to MQA was like experiencing the birth of a new world -J Atkinson

What more needs to be said about MQA? Sadly, it took Harley about 15 or 20 pages to tell us what Atkinson told us in one sentence.

Rexp

Aug 31, 2022
That’s fine that some like MQA-formatted music. But it is something else when these few try to convince others MQA is a genuinely competitive hi-rez format, it’s sound is the cat’s meow, and MQA’s intentions were white as snow.

Maybe this will help some better understand MQA's sonic performance from one who just might be among the most qualified to speak. Hopefully, the reader already knows a little something about Peter Moncrieff’s reputation / listening skills.

Anyway, Moncrieff is rather wordy and then some as he often times is. Nevertheless, so well worth the read.

1. "For the first time you will hear EXACTLY what the engineers heard in the studio." (since they made no mention of equipment I'm guessing systems and configs. no longer mattered)

What more needs to be said about MQA? Sadly, it took Harley about 15 or 20 pages to tell us what Atkinson told us in one sentence.
Well I certainly don't think their intentions were good and would much rather have high quality recordings in FLAC but the sad fact is that most files on Tidal and other streaming services are poot and need fixing.
Which streaming service do you subscribe to?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

I think John and Robert got excited about MQA because it does sound good. I have heard many A/B demos and have always preferred it personally.

But you have to look at the economics of streaming separately. Neither Tidal nor Qobuz are making money. I like Qobuz a lot but worry a little on how long they can sustain the business with losses.

I want the streaming services to do well but with the labels taking so much money, it’s difficult to see a way forward. The artist is getting screwed as well.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
I think John and Robert got excited about MQA because it does sound good. I have heard many A/B demos and have always preferred it personally.

But you have to look at the economics of streaming separately. Neither Tidal nor Qobuz are making money. I like Qobuz a lot but worry a little on how long they can sustain the business with losses.

I want the streaming services to do well but with the labels taking so much money, it’s difficult to see a way forward. The artist is getting screwed as well.

Do the right thing, buy files or physical media. Mostly they will sound better, too.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Please share links to these facts.
Based on your prior posts. You can’t google tidal music layoffs. Find the investor page on Block Inc’s site. Or understand why Tidal Music does not fit in a Rule of 40 company.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Do the right thing, buy files or physical media. Mostly they will sound better, too.

yep, my vinyl buying is certainly supporting some artists.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Funny I always hear people make the assumption that artists make more money when you buy the LP, CD, physical media. I'm not sure that is true.

So an artist typically make around 10-15% off each album. So a $25.00 album nets the artist $2.50 - $3.75 on average. So if an artist streams a song via Amazon Unlimited they get $0.01175 per stream. If they stream 320 songs they would get $3.76.

Seems to me the potential is greater for the artist via streaming. I would think on average an artist would get more than 320 steams per album, especially if the album is worthy of one buying it.

Now I still believe artist should make more for their work but that is a different discussion.

Reactions: Rexp

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Funny I always hear people make the assumption that artists make more money when you buy the LP, CD, physical media. I'm not sure that is true.

So an artist typically make around 10-15% off each album. So a $25.00 album nets the artist $2.50 - $3.75 on average. So if an artist streams a song via Amazon Unlimited they get $0.01175 per stream. If they stream 320 songs they would get $3.76.

Seems to me the potential is greater for the artist via streaming. I would think on average an artist would get more than 320 steams per album, especially if the album is worthy of one buying it.

Now I still believe artist should make more for their work but that is a different discussion.

I don't believe the math is right here on the streaming. Several label folks have told me physical sales are an order of magnitude better for the artist.

Reactions: Another Johnson

stehno

Jul 5, 2014
Salem, OR
I think John and Robert got excited about MQA because it does sound good.
lol. So excited they've probably been wearing pull-ups since Dec of 2014?

Lee, my hunch is you'd be doing yourself a real service if you took the time to read what Moncrieff has to say about MQA sonics and those who find pleasure listening to MQA. But, it's just a hunch.

BTW, the quote "For the first time you will hear EXACTLY what the engineers heard in the studio so long as you see the little green light illuminated." came from MQA ads. Not from Harley nor Atkinson. But MQA pulled those ads early on as the masses started to catch on.

Last edited:

Another Johnson

VIP/Donor
Jan 13, 2022
Music City, USA aka Nashville
I have a lot of musician friends in the industry. Getting screwed by streaming is a common topic of conversation. Most would prefer that you pay for the download. These guys are not all obscure artists. I’ve been told in some instances that a song was streamed well into six figures of play, producing revenues which after division among those entitled to a share would barely buy dinner at a good steakhouse (Stoney River, Bob’s, Jimmy Kelly’s etc) in Nash Vegas.

Reactions: Lee

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing