Let's see if my A90 can be repaired

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
According to https://www.ortofon.com/repair-mc-a90-p-530-n-3597 there is a Special Repair Service for it (and other high carts as well), for 2000 euros. The problem is that when filling out the payment form, there is no option for a USA address. So let's see what the US importer has to say. Ortofon's page says they install a brand-new motor, which is the right way to do it, hence the high cost.

It will be a shame if it cannot be repaired, as I was getting some beautiful sounds this morning, after the latest anti-skating adjustments, including some exceptional tracking of the Mahler 2nd finale, unlike I've ever heard before; and ironically, this was its demise. But I accidentally pushed the VTF scale _towards_ the cartridge, which caused the cantilever to snap off - so there is a precious diamond in here somewhere :cool: I'd like to find it and photograph it closely. I had just come back from a bicycle ride, and should have settled down a bit.

There was a similar thread here years ago and some people said they were able to repair them back in 2013 https://www.whatsbestforum.com/threads/does-ortofon-still-rebuild-the-a90.4112/page-3#post-190448

Let's see if we can Resurrect it now. It's such a fast cartridge!

1566163810193.png

Attachments

• 1566163652208.png
    1566163652208.png
    302 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks Jonathan. The good Steve and David Karmeli have stepped up to help as well.

Interestingly enough, my son looked at this mess and said: "What am I supposed to do with this when I inherit it"

Ahhh, you never own an A90, you merely take care of it for the next generation

PS: An adapted Patek Philippe quote, if not obvious

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
UPDATE: Not only was the A90 repaired - consistent with Ortofon's renowned build quality - the sound, which also includes concurrent a phono stage repair with new capacitors plus the Vishay diodes in the power supply I installed, is FAR superior than ever before, to the point that listening to the Four Seasons Telarc re-issue with the BSO players brought tears to my wife's eyes this morning. Incredible string tone, power, depth, presence, speed, vividness, control and transparency. Last night I video taped my son playing his trombone alongside Ellington on the platter, and I may share it some day. This has been like a MAJOR component upgrade, evident with every single LP.

Get yours re-built! It looks like I had ~3000 hours on the old motor, according to the SDS's timer.

Last edited:

Doak

Nov 29, 2013
UPDATE: Not only was the A90 repaired - consistent with Ortofon's renowned build quality - the sound, which also includes concurrent a phono stage repair with new capacitors plus the Vishay diodes in the power supply I installed, is FAR superior than ever before, to the point that listening to the Four Seasons Telarc re-issue with the BSO players brought tears to my wife's eyes this morning. Incredible string tone, power, depth, presence, speed, vividness, control and transparency. Last night I video taped my son playing his trombone alongside Ellington on the platter, and I may share it some day. This has been like a MAJOR component upgrade, evident with every single LP.

Get yours re-built! It looks like I had ~3000 hours on the old motor, according to the SDS's timer.

I have very recently acquired a nearly new A90. While I hope to not need rebuild services in the near future, I am interested in how/what it took to get the job done.

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Get yours re-built! It looks like I had ~3000 hours on the old motor, according to the SDS's timer.

How many times did you replace the stylus on it?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I have very recently acquired a nearly new A90. While I hope to not need rebuild services in the near future, I am interested in how/what it took to get the job done.

Easier than I thought: either work with a dealer and then send it to Ortofon USA, or deal directly with Ortofon USA (or send directly to Ortofon Denmark outside the U.S.); they quote a 6 week turnaround; mine took a little longer because the factory was closed in August, but on big deal. I do not know to what the degree the sonic gains are attributed to the new motor, considering that all other phono repairs and mods were being performed while it was away, but the results were shocking, and still are.

Reactions: Doak

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
How many times did you replace the stylus on it?

I had never replaced it before; but it was visibly deep black from the heat, after 3000 hours or so - love that timer on the VPI SDS

Catcher10

Dec 28, 2018

Glad this worked out for you, sounds like you got back a bench queen! Here's to another 3,000 hours of bliss :cool:

Reactions: ack

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I had never replaced it before; but it was visibly deep black from the heat, after 3000 hours or so - love that timer on the VPI SDS

interesting.....and thank you.

over the years some have taken shots at Ortofon for the idea that the A90 stylus design (Replicant 100) somehow shortened the life cycle compared to other competing cartridges. even that wear was perceived earlier than other cartridges.

now you are rebuilding at 3000 hours; which any cartridge would likely need. and Ortofon's rebuild approach to me is very fair to the owner.

https://www.ortofon.com/hifi/products/historical-products/mc-a90/diamond-and-coils/

i own an older (700-900 hours) regular MC Anna that still plays great, and a new Anna Diamond that is astonishing, and know that Ortofon's do last.

Reactions: ack

Grady98

Apr 27, 2018
East Coast
Thanks for sharing. Makes me feel better about my Ortofon Jubilee which has approximately 1200 hours and sounds better than ever. On another note my Transfiguation Protues bit it after 500 hours due to coil failure. Very bummed after such a short lifespan....

My next cartridge will likely be another Ortofon.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I am staying with Ortofon as well - impeccable build quality, as always, engineering and QA. My entire analog chain sounds significantly better than ever before, part of it is the rebuilt A90, part of it the repaired XP-25 phono plus the new diodes I put in there, and part of it is the new Tubulus DB-25 umbilical. The collective is result is sheer realism with the appropriate recordings.

Thanks to Ortofon!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing