Light Bar -- Rechargeable and Motion-Activated

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
After we re-occupied our house it has been fun to settle in and enjoy the place. As one uses features day-to-day one reflects on how things could be slightly improved or made just a little bit more convenient.

The original house never had a coat closet. During the repairs I discovered a cavity in the drywall near the front door which could be scooped out for a shallow coat closet. The new coat closet is small, but totally fine. After looking at it for a few weeks I realized that there is no light in this little closet.

It is way too late to rip up drywall and install power for a hard-wired light. This situation calls for a battery-powered light which turns on when it detects motion when the closet door is opened and turns off by itself.

I ordered four different battery-powered, motion-sensitive lights on Amazon.com. Three of them were junk; they literally did not work for one reason or another. Either the light would not go on no matter what, or the motion-detection function was completely missing in action or otherwise not working as advertised.

But one product -- EShine -- seems to be of high quality and works very well! It works exactly as advertised. This particular brand makes 24", 17" and 10" models. I would have preferred it to be powered by AA batteries, but this model is USB-rechargeable. The 17" model fit in the coat closet like it was a custom installation.

It can be manually turned on or turned off. There are three brightness levels. Once activated it stays on for about 20 seconds. The light bar attaches magnetically to many metal surfaces, and it comes with a self-adhesive metal strip as well.

With one successful light installation behind me I now feel like the proverbial hammer holder: When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

Now I go all over the house . . . "Gee, wouldn't it be nice to have a light up there, under there, over there, in the back, in the front, under the counter, above the shelf . . ."

IMG_8898.jpg

The 10" model would be great for mounting in the top front area of record storage boxes so it is easy to see the spines of the record jackets. You walk over to your record storage cabinet and the lights go on and off by themselves.

Last edited:

K3RMIT

Sep 4, 2020
The usb is a great idea if you consider this.
If you would add one of those usb battery chargers to it. it would greatly add on to running time.
amd of you don’t need to add time it’s still an easy way to charge it.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing