Light Harmonic LightSpeed USB Cable Split Configuration

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I'm looking to replace my current Nordost usb cable with the Light Harmonic LightSpeed in split configuration.

Lightspeed_White_Ladder.jpg

Is this still the best today or is there another usb cable in the same price range that's better?

elescher

Member Sponsor
Sep 12, 2010
New York
I read a review recently (not sure where) that rated the Chord USB cable superior to the standard Light Harmonic. When I was using USB (I have found SPDIF superior in my system) I had the LIght Harmonic and prefered it to the Audioquest Diamond. I have never heard the Chord cable though.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Was in the July 2014 edition of HI-FI News magazine from the UK, they tested 10 usb cables and the Chord Signature won.
Last year, the Chord SilverPlus won the test, think they are Chord fanboys...

This is what they said about the LightSpeed cable;

Extravagantly-priced, Light Harmonic’s LightSpeed cable sounded very, very tidy, rendering the likes of Chris Jones with a dry clarity. Similarly, The Beatles remaster was delineated like no other in this test, Lennon and McCartney’s voices revealed in seemingly explicit detail while Ringo’s drum-work was pristine. This is very nearly a ‘great cable’ but where is the emotion?

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
That review is a joke. Not to be taken seriously on any level.

I have compared the Lightspeed to both of Nordost's USB cables and ended up buying the LS. The LS trounced the Blue Heaven, but as did the Heimdall. The Heimdall is excellent for the price, but the LS did a better job of getting out of the way. It's magical.

I originally compared a demo non-split LS to those Nordost USB cables. It was the split version I purchased.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I tested the Lightspeed against the AQ Diamond and the Diamond won.

highstream

VIP/Donor
Nov 16, 2013
...This is what they said about the LightSpeed cable;

Extravagantly-priced, Light Harmonic’s LightSpeed cable sounded very, very tidy, rendering the likes of Chris Jones with a dry clarity. Similarly, The Beatles remaster was delineated like no other in this test, Lennon and McCartney’s voices revealed in seemingly explicit detail while Ringo’s drum-work was pristine. This is very nearly a ‘great cable’ but where is the emotion?

I've got the standard Lightspeed hooked to a PWD II and I'd have to say that's an accurate summary of how I feel. Don't find myself singing along.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
I've got the standard Lightspeed hooked to a PWD II and I'd have to say that's an accurate summary of how I feel. Don't find myself singing along.

I am often compelled to get up and dance when listening to digital via the Lightspeed. And many times after I first got it I found myself tearing up at the beauty of the music coming through. And there have been other times that I couldn't help but sing along. M

I can't see how someone could not have an emotional reaction unless their mind was not in the right place. I can see the Lightspeed's price having that effect.

I've had a half dozen digital cables including genetic and very cheap ones. It's bizarre to me that someone would place the blame for not having an emotional reaction on a USB cable - especially on one as awesome in the time domain as the Lightspeed.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
That review is a joke. Not to be taken seriously on any level.

I have compared the Lightspeed to both of Nordost's USB cables and ended up buying the LS. The LS trounced the Blue Heaven, but as did the Heimdall. The Heimdall is excellent for the price, but the LS did a better job of getting out of the way. It's magical.

I originally compared a demo non-split LS to those Nordost USB cables. It was the split version I purchased.

Glad to hear that you compared the Lightspeed against the Heimdall. I have the Blue Heaven now and had wondered if the Heimdall was better than the Lightspeed.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I read that review, you place the AQ Diamond and the Shunyata Venom before the LightSpeed.

Now I'm confused, in the review that I read here you say this but I just found a post from you on another forum saying that you prefer the Shunyata over the AQ??

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Glad to hear that you compared the Lightspeed against the Heimdall. I have the Blue Heaven now and had wondered if the Heimdall was better than the Lightspeed.

The Heimdall is a big step up from the BH. I was on my way to purchasing a Heimdall, but then I heard the LS and my jaw hit the floor. Two other friends made the same decision to go LS, even though they both really liked the Heimdall.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
The Heimdall is a big step up from the BH. I was on my way to purchasing a Heimdall, but then I heard the LS and my jaw hit the floor. Two other friends made the same decision to go LS, even though they both really liked the Heimdall.

Ok, I just ordered a LightSpeed.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I'm not a big proponent of digital cables affecting the sound... it either works or it doesn't. That being said. For USB, the Light Harmonic is the only one I'll use.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I listened to my friend's Light Harmonic LightSpeed and a Totaldac usb filter cable in the same system (though not at the same time) and prefer the Totaldac.
IMHO LightSpeed is rather hifi whereas Totaldac is very musical yet without much loss in hifi parameters such as agility, resolution...etc.
My 2 cents.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
I listened to my friend's Light Harmonic LightSpeed and a Totaldac usb filter cable in the same system (though not at the same time) and prefer the Totaldac.
IMHO LightSpeed is rather hifi whereas Totaldac is very musical yet without much loss in hifi parameters such as agility, resolution...etc.
My 2 cents.

I have both of the cables you discuss and agree with Bruce. What does "rather hifi" mean. Your analogy borders on the absurd especially in the context of your so called comparisons. Prefer what you want, but the LightSpeed is not "rather hifi".

So you listened to a "friends Light Harmonic LightSpeed and a Totaldac" BUT "not at the same time" and came to the conclusion that the LightSpeed is "rather hifi".

Nuf said.

Last edited:

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
What does "rather hifi" mean.

I'm sure that the LS isn't perfect, but saying that it "lacks emotion" or is "rather hifi" conveys no useful information. These seem like "drive by" shots fired with the aim to do some damage to the LS' reputation as opposed to attempts to provide information that can help a person decide if the LS is worth auditioning.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
I respect everyone's opinion about the LightSpeed whether they find it good or bad, we all got different tastes but Bruce is a pro and if he says that this is the only one he will use, I think it must be rather good.
Like I said, I ordered one so I'll soon find out.

kennyb123

Nov 30, 2012
Kirkland, WA
Like I said, I ordered one so I'll soon find out.

After glancing at your system I think you are in for one heck of an upgrade. The BH is hindering things relative to the rest of your cabling.

You also have a big upgrade waiting for you if you go up a level or two in power cords. Start with the one plugged into your wall. A Brahma or Frey2 leading your loom will blow your mind. I used to have a similar loom, but eventually moved to Brahma everywhere.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing