Looking at Upgrading my ARC Line Stage Ref 2 Mk I to an ARC Ref 5se

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Hello All, I've been listening to my LPs through an ARC Ref Phono and Ref 2 Mk I Line Stage for many years. Recently I acquired a Ref 2se Phono and the improvement was substantial. This has got me thinking that maybe it's time to upgrade my current line stage to something like the Ref 5se. Anything newer than that will be out of my budget.
What are the thoughts from other ARC using people here?
Thank you.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You will experience significant improvements all around.

Reactions: Pacha

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
What are the thoughts from other ARC using people here?

I agree with Bobvin. I owned the Ref 2se and 5se for a few years and will say they are meant for each other. These units were designed, built and released by the same people and they share the same level of quality with several of the same parts and similar topology built around the 6H30 tube. If you like what you hear from your 2se be prepared for more of that from the 5se. ARC's top-line Ref 10 and Ref 10 Phono are essentially two Ref 5ses and two 2ses respectively, one for each channel, each with it's own power supply.

Reactions: MPS and Pacha

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Thank you for the replies, they re-enforced my thoughts. I’ve started my search for a Ref 5se, see several Ref 5 for sale, no se, so I’ll need to be patient.
I’ll update as the search continues.

Reactions: Bobvin

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
Try a website called Hi-Fi shark. There are about 12 Ref5 SE’s for sale some of which are in the US, the balance being In Europe
good luck with your search

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I moved from REF3 to REF5 and it was a noticeable improvement - the REF 5SE is worth the difference over the REF5.

Be very careful with HifiShark - they only gather advertisements and have no control on content. Audio Research preamplifers are a scammer favorite.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
Thank you for the replies and the warning. I deal with a close friend who is also my audio dealer. I do all of his phono setups and he takes care of my needs. I'll keep an eye out for a good Ref 5se and keep the thread updated.

Reactions: Bobvin and tima

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
First update:
I've found a Ref 5se for sale, the asking price is $6599.99. What do you all think of that price and besides tube hours and overall condition, what questions should I be asking the seller?
Thank you

Last edited:

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
First update:
I've found a Ref 5se for sale, the asking price is $6599.99. What do you all think of that price and besides tube hours and overall condition, what questions should I be asking the seller?
Thank you

If you feel you need to ask questions to the seller, then you have a problem. Tube hours are meaningless, the counter can be user reset. IMHO you should research the seller, not the REF 5se! :)

• Haha
Reactions: christoph and Pacha

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
First update:
Thank you

Original msrp for 5SE in 2012 was $12,995. Your price is not a screaming bargain but seems reasonable for 8+/10 condition. You might ask the seller if he is the original owner and does he have any extra new tubes he could add to the deal. If you can get a serial nbr, ARC may be able to tell you if the unit has been in for repair. If you buy a 5SE, I suggest acquiring a new set of tubes for backup.

Reactions: BillK and Pacha

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Take away typical 40% the dealer earns on sale of a new unit at full list price, the unit you mention really ought to be in (imho) pristine condition for the seller to be asking what he is. That said, it may be he is expecting a negotiation so is starting high. I‘m sure a clean, well cared for, cosmetically perfect unit could be found for less if you are patient.

lem321

Feb 7, 2014
First update:
Thank you
Hi Pacha,
First of all, I think the 5SE is a great upgrade and matches the 2SE very well. I've owned both. I have tracked Audiogon prices on the 5SE over the last few years and selling prices have generally been as low as $5500 and up to the $6900 range. I think anything around $6000 or less would be a good price (for the buyer). I would ask total hours, age of the unit and whether it was an original 5SE or one that was upgraded from a Ref 5. Having the original box and accessories including the Owners Manual, tools, remote control (preferably metal) and documentation are desirable. Lots of pictures help and of course, seller feedback on Audiogon, usaudiomart, eBay, etc.

Reactions: tima

joey_v

Nov 30, 2015
$6500 is a little much. I owned the 5se, sold it for $5000.

I’m sure you will like it.

Nemal1

Dec 9, 2018
The questions raised earlier are excellent and cover almost everything assuming the seller is being honest. Are you unable to listen prior to purchase?
you always have the opportunity to negotiate as well. Good luck...

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
For a unit that is six years old which is ancient by most hi end company standards (especially AR), I wouldn't buy above 40% list unless there are major tube upgrades or other improvements over stock to the unit.

Pacha

VIP/Donor
Apr 23, 2014
I found and purchased a Ref 5se from a dealer I've dealt with before. It arrived yesterday and after a short warm up period I'm in Audio Heaven. Wonderful pairing with my Ref 2se Phono and Ref 150 Amp.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Over and out for now as I have many LPs and R2R tapes to listen to.

Reactions: MPS and christoph

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I found and purchased a Ref 5se from a dealer I've dealt with before. It arrived yesterday and after a short warm up period I'm in Audio Heaven. Wonderful pairing with my Ref 2se Phono and Ref 150 Amp.
Thanks all for the suggestions.
Over and out for now as I have many LPs and R2R tapes to listen to.
Very happy for you. Thats a nice upgrade. Enjoy going through your music collection, you'll discover some titles all over again.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I made the same move you did from a Ref 2 to a Ref 5SE many eons ago in my ARC days. I thought it was a wonderful move. In fact, I liked the 5SE more than the 6 in a lot of ways. Highly recommend re-tubing with an factory ARC tube set as it a nominal investment to assure top performance.

Just FYI, the general rule for used gear is 50% off list for current production and 25-40% for discontinued gear although patience is often required to get those prices

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
I made the same move you did from a Ref 2 to a Ref 5SE many eons ago in my ARC days. I thought it was a wonderful move. In fact, I liked the 5SE more than the 6 in a lot of ways. Highly recommend re-tubing with an factory ARC tube set as it a nominal investment to assure top performance.

Just FYI, the general rule for used gear is 50% off list for current production and 25-40% for discontinued gear although patience is often required to get those prices
Marty

How often do u use the "my wife will only let me spend x" to get the price down? That one was pretty weak... ;)

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing