Allnic H7000 vs ARC Ref2(SE) ?

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
As a preamplifier I prefer anything from Kondo, Shindo, Audio Tekne, Robert Koda, Absolare or Audio Consulting.
As a reference preamplifier Kondo G-1000 would be my first choice which I like a lot whenever I listened to. Kondo M-1000, M7 or even the G-70 is still better than almost anything. If you want a solid state pre than Robert Koda K-10 is a great choice. IMHO it sounds like a tube pre or if you want a clean open sound (I prefer tubes instead) CH Precision L-1 is a good option (with X-1) Or if you want a passive pre than Audio Consulting silver rock is a great option.

I’m not evading from anything. I’m still saying the same thing. Sorry but I never heard 6H30 and 6550 (as a rectifier) sound good on a pre especially with newly made tubes. Nos Reflector 6N30 tubes can not help much either.
Ah !…yes, I might discern where you are coming from now , Kondo , Shindo a rather comfortable euphoric colouration tho not entirely accurate to the recording, quite engaging if that is what one is looking for. Robert Koda is quite excellent, CH Precision less so imho.

For my part in my time with ARC gear NOS Pre 1990 Reflector corp 6h30-DR make for a rather discernible evolution in audible quality as do the 6550 ( Regulator rather that Rectifier ) in the power supply , GE 6550A for an accurate and neutral presentation , earlier 60’s and 50’s production Tung Sol should one wish to add a pleasing degree of tone and texture to the recording … rather like Kondo and Shindo.

Last edited:

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
GE 6550A for an accurate and neutral presentation

That's the only claim where I will give a little disagreement. The GE 6550A is fine in Conrad-Johnson gear. Imo it is colored and soft in ARC. The Ref 2 through Ref 6 series + Ref 10 series were designed using the SED 6550C. The Sovtek 6550 WE they come with now results from the SED version no longer made. Fwiw ask Warren Gehl what he thinks of the GE 6550A in their their gear. Ymmv.

TLi

May 27, 2016
I use Tung Sol black plate 6550 for my ARC Ref 10 preamp and Ref 10 phonostage. Tung Sol black plate is the best.

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Ah !…yes, I might discern where you are coming from now , Kondo , Shindo a rather comfortable euphoric colouration tho not entirely accurate to the recording, quite engaging if that is what one is looking for.
Well, Kondo and Shindo are different sounding but both great. especially Kondo. For example Lamm amplifiers are great too and still totally different than Kondo and Shindo. I can live happily with either of them. Topic was about preamplifiers but if you’ve ever heard a Lamm ML2.1 or Tenor 75 watt OTL or Kondo ongaku in a serious system you would know what I mean.

I’m not gonna argue with you if any of them has a “colouration” or not. especially compared to ARC stuff. If you choose to keep believing they’re colored and ARC is not it’s ok.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Well, Kondo and Shindo are different sounding but both great. especially Kondo. For example Lamm amplifiers are great too and still totally different than Kondo and Shindo. I can live happily with either of them. Topic was about preamplifiers but if you’ve ever heard a Lamm ML2.1 or Tenor 75 watt OTL or Kondo ongaku in a serious system you would know what I mean.

I’m not gonna argue with you if any of them has a “colouration” or not. especially compared to ARC stuff. If you choose to keep believing they’re colored and ARC is not it’s ok.

Tenor 75 OTL is one of my favorite amps pity it kept blowing up stuff

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
Tenor 75 OTL is one of my favorite amps pity it kept blowing up stuff
I still remember how amazingly fluid it sounds. All silver Audio Note UK ongaku was not similar sounding to Tenor OTL but still amazingly fluid. You can keep listening them hours without listening fatigue.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Topic was about preamplifiers but if you’ve ever heard a Lamm ML2.1 or Tenor 75 watt OTL or Kondo ongaku in a serious system you would know what I mean.

Indeed I have. together with a number of similar pre and power amplifiers over the years that impart their own coating on the audio replay, some like this colouration some may not.

Are you seriously saying that a Kondo Ongaku is devoid of a degree of colouration ? as well as it may sound.

And yes I am saying that in comparison the later generations of Reference ARC Pre and Powers are unquestionably less so in this regard.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Are you seriously saying that a Kondo Ongaku is devoid of a degree of colouration ? as well as it may sound.

Stock Kondos are very colored thing is it is rare to get hear these tube amps such as 211s with valves swapped to Amperex, United, or WE 242c. I respect your AR preamp post because it shows a guy who did his homework tube rolling.

Reactions: Argonaut

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
Stock Kondos are very colored thing is it is rare to get hear these tube amps such as 211s with valves swapped to Amperex, United, or WE 242c. I respect your AR preamp post because it shows a guy who did his homework tube rolling.
As I posted a little earlier Kedar, to the effect that whilst the ARC REF40 might not make it onto the podium of worlds best pre amplifiers I still consider it an excellent pre, erring on the side of neutral , certainly I regard it as a great buy on the used market at $10,000 or less.

Last edited:

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
I've hung on to the Allnic, though that decision somewhat has to do with the fact that I moved from Chicago to London and have had all of my hi-fi stuff in storage for the last year.

Would definitely still like to hear the ARC. Part of it has to do, I confess, with wanting to have a matching unit to go with my Ref Ann/40 preamp. Also thinking of adding the Ref75SE power amp down the line. So, it'd be neat to have an all-black ARC set-up.

The Allnic sounds good, but it's a very different design language (and silver) and stands out considerably. It's also pretty annoying to get at the loading dials when switching carts.

Thanks for checking in.

Argonaut

Jul 30, 2013
N/A
I've hung on to the Allnic, though that decision somewhat has to do with the fact that I moved from Chicago to London and have had all of my hi-fi stuff in storage for the last year.

Would definitely still like to hear the ARC. Part of it has to do, I confess, with wanting to have a matching unit to go with my Ref Ann/40 preamp. Also thinking of adding the Ref75SE power amp down the line. So, it'd be neat to have an all-black ARC set-up.

The Allnic sounds good, but it's a very different design language (and silver) and stands out considerably. It's also pretty annoying to get at the loading dials when switching carts.

Thanks for checking in.
I would recommend Sevre and his team At KJ West One … they have excellent facilities and will be able to set you up with an ARC phono demonstration , they might even be able to source a REF75SE as well .

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

Thanks for checking in.

Do you have the KR/RK recti on that yet?

davidavdavid

Jun 30, 2014
Columbus, Ohio, USA
david.com
KJ West One on Old Cavendish Street just off Marylebone High Street is a fave audio salon of mine. Vsevolod "Seve" Mikhailov is great, and some of their best gear in the shop is DOWNSTAIRS. :)

Reactions: wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Do you have the KR/RK recti on that yet?
Based on a rec from Albert Porter (who sold me the Allnic), I got an NOS RCA JAN 5U4G Black-Plate-Coke-Bottle rectifier.

Is that a Kron tube you mentioned?

The NOS RCA definitely improved on the stock.

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Based on a rec from Albert Porter (who sold me the Allnic), I got an NOS RCA JAN 5U4G Black-Plate-Coke-Bottle rectifier.

Is that a Kron tube you mentioned?

The NOS RCA definitely improved on the stock.

Also try RK 5u4g. The RK is the best in that series, the lower priced ones are KR 5u4g which are also very good. It will be quite different from the RCA and usually, but not always, will work better. But you should try to understand the full potential of that phono, if it works it is going to sound extremely good. With the stock recti it is quite poor.

Reactions: wbass

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing