Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Holding out for the Director's cuts.

P

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Waiting for Director's cut too. Only reason I can think they're not being released now is to get 2x money from those that can't wait.

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Gonna be a long wait if they stick to their plan to release the EE concurrent with The Hobbit (2012/2013, best case). Don't mind being double-dipped on this one.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Ok, tell me more about the director's cuts. I have heard that on the Twin Towers, while longer, it tends to make the movie ramble:confused:
Also, apparently on 'Return of the King' ,all that is additional is extra scenery shots:confused:
The releases tomorrow will be bargain priced at below $20- each. I wander how much the director's cuts will be and when they will be released:confused:
I think I'm with Ken on this one.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Ok, tell me more about the director's cuts. I have heard that on the Twin Towers, while longer, it tends to make the movie ramble:confused:
Also, apparently on 'Return of the King' ,all that is additional is extra scenery shots:confused:
The releases tomorrow will be bargain priced at below $20- each. I wander how much the director's cuts will be and when they will be released:confused:
I think I'm with Ken on this one.

Suffice it to say I disagree with every criticism of the extended editions ever logged. YMMV. The whole saga holds together better. You get back story on Aragorn that is missing from the theatrical releases. You get very cool scenes, and you get, well, Google "Mouth of Sauron." I'll wait because I don't think the movies (and I LOVE these movies) are as good in the theatrical releases and I'd rather watch the real thing on DVD than the compromise on Blu Ray.

Too bad Tom Bombadil wasn't on the cutting room floor.

P

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Completely agree with the above. I found the extended cuts wholly superior -- the extra character elaboration yields a deeper experience.

Unfortunately, Del Toro is out as director of The Hobbit -- he was a perfect choice. AFAIK, no replacement has been named which puts more pressure on the 2012 release date

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Sure, but I'm not going to wait 2-3 years for want of $60. When the EE's come out, I'll rebuy and dump the TE's.

YMMV.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Sure, but I'm not going to wait 2-3 years for want of $60. When the EE's come out, I'll rebuy and dump the TE's.

YMMV.

I won't be waiting, I'll be watching the DVDs of the EE. Seriously, if I bought the Blu Rays, I probably wouldn't watch them more than once. I'll rent them when they come out and enjoy the resolution, then go back to the complete narrative at 480p.

p

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Tim, I'm a huge movie fan and LOTR is a unique confluence since I've read the book probably 45 times over the past 45 years. I own somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand DVD's/BD's and I don't rent. But that's just my obsession, hence the YMMV.

Insane? Probably.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Tim, I'm a huge movie fan and LOTR is a unique confluence since I've read the book probably 45 times over the past 45 years. I own somewhere between 2 and 3 thousand DVD's/BD's and I don't rent. But that's just my obsession, hence the YMMV.

Insane? Probably.

It's an insanity I can relate to, Ken, but have avoided so far. My personal rule is that if I think I'll watch it once a year for life, I'll own it. Otherwise, rental makes sense to me. Now music is another question...

P

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing