Lumin X1: Enabling an Even Simpler Yet Better Sounding System

You are correct, of course, that the Lumin L2 does not have a linear power supply. But Lumin designed it that way on purpose and for whatever reason, it works superbly.

I usually change components or tweak things further when I hear something wrong, however subtle or slight. Right now, I don't hear anything wrong, but instead get great excitement and hear wonderful sonic and musical beauty from my system. So, for the moment, I'm as content with the sound as any audiophile can be.

There were two major recent upgrades which, to my mind and ears, crossed over some threshold and allowed me to stop hearing things at least very subtly "wrong." One was the incorporation of the L2 with the Lumin-recommended fiber optical networking of it and the Lumin X1.

The other was finding two speaker systems, the Graham Audio LS8/1 and the Watkins Generation 4, both of which provide not only a clearer window on what's upstream, but also eliminate so many distortions and resonances present at least to some minor extent with all previous speakers I've owned. The Graham goes deeper and may be more satisfyingly weighty for large-scale classical music, so I may go back to it at some point, but the Watkins is, at least for now, the most bewitchingly beautiful and exciting.

I only wish that it had not taken so many years and such expense to get here. While my current system costs under $50,000 total, over the course of my audiophile career (about 1966 to the present) I recently calculated that I have spent almost $700,000 on audio equipment, recouping only a small fraction of that amount in sales.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing