LUXMAN L-507Z MC Section

ghamilton1

Jun 15, 2024
Asheboro NC
I have a Luxman L-507z amp.
Love it!
However, I tried a Audio technica

AT-OC9XML MC cartridge. The results were disappointing.​

The specs recommend 100 ohms. The Luxman has a 100 ohm input. Yet the top end is a bit dull. Some recordings with plenty of top end energy seem to be exceptable. But not as extended as my AT-VM95ML MM cartridge.
I took great pains in setup.
It's not a arm mismatch.
Perhaps the MC section is not as good as it should be.
Any ideas?
Thanks

Attachments

• 20240604_202002.jpg
    20240604_202002.jpg
    634 KB · Views: 6
The MC stages in these Luxman amps are fantastic (relative to what you would normally get built-in). Of course a standalone would give you greater ability to tailer the sound to suit the cart, which you dont get in this case.
Brand new cart? It will need about 50 hours minimum to open up.

Reactions: ghamilton1
The MC stages in these Luxman amps are fantastic (relative to what you would normally get built-in). Of course a standalone would give you greater ability to tailer the sound to suit the cart, which you dont get in this case.
Brand new cart? It will need about 50 hours minimum to open up.
It would have to be a night & day difference after break in for me to change my mind. Right out of the box it should have at least been the equal of my VM95ML. It wasn't.

It would have to be a night & day difference after break in for me to change my mind. Right out of the box it should have at least been the equal of my VM95ML. It wasn't.
You say you went to great pains to set it up, so perhaps you could explain your steps and the tools you used to get to where you are and still not happy?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing