M12 Gold Switch

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
I’ve just got M12 Gold for an audition. Quite impressed so far. I connected my server to slot #1 and the router to slot #2. I see that people use different combinations. Does it really matter?
Thanks In advance.

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Also, what is the alarm reset slot for? Where can I get the M12 Gold switch instruction manual?

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
A friend recommended Crystal E grounding box from Japan. It’s cheaper than Entreq and has a small footprint that suits me very well.

36063C39-AE01-4832-9A65-99288C7705BB.jpeg

Initial impression the drum in The Empire Strikes Back is now more forceful. Same for piano and probably also for other repercussion instruments.

F4E4D81C-D996-4E91-88EF-043FA56B245F.jpeg

Here is the link to the product website http://kojo-seiko.co.jp/products/crystale.html It’s available from Amazon Japan at a discount ;)

63412D3A-9B45-4D1A-9987-929EB6A9CCCA.jpeg

Last edited:

abeidrov

VIP Donor
Dec 17, 2015
Moscow
Are there any comparisons of M12 to Melco switch? Sorry if this question was asked before.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
A friend recommended Crystal E grounding box from Japan. It’s cheaper than Entreq and has a small footprint that suits me very well.

View attachment 82268

Initial impression the drum in The Empire Strikes Back is now more forceful. Same for piano and probably also for other repercussion instruments.

View attachment 82269

Here is the link to the product website http://kojo-seiko.co.jp/products/crystale.html It’s available from Amazon Japan at a discount ;)

View attachment 82270

Connected the switch to the earth ground of my Linn Klimax DSM/2 Katalyst for the moment. Haven't tried any grounding boxes just yet, that's the next step. IMG_1839.jpeg

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Are there any comparisons of M12 to Melco switch? Sorry if this question was asked before.
This was definitely covered in the various chat and forum. I have listed a few below and you can start reading them at your convenience, but be warned that they were poisonous :D

https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/...y-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/ *mother of all discussion thread

Telegärtner switches are industrial grade and installed in hard to reach places, I guess the Alarm Reset connection is being used to reset the switch in case of a loss in signal. I am not 100% sure as there is no accompanying user manual that comes with the M12 Gold.

Reactions: abeidrov

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Connected the switch to the earth ground of my Linn Klimax DSM/2 Katalyst for the moment. Haven't tried any grounding boxes just yet, that's the next step. View attachment 82271
I see that you are running 100 Mbps on #1, I guess that connects to your DAC, and #2 to the upstream router or switch?

onsionsi

Nov 27, 2019
This is a follow-up post after sharing my network improvement journey I learned from members in this forum.

So I got myself an M12 Gold and had to wait 2 weeks for the Plixir LPS. While waiting for the LPS I connected the M12 with the stock SMPS between the Melco S100 and N1Z. At first I was impressed at M12’s ability to present the micro details but I also noticed that the music had become cold and lifeless, the musicality had simply disappeared.

To stop the torturing process I immediately unplugged the M12 and connected it to my wireless router to break it in.

Yesterday my 12V6A Elite DC Power Supply arrived. I quickly set it up and let it bed for a few hours before the audition began.

Wow I finally understood why the M12 is so popular amongst the members here. Hearing is believing! It’s like having upgraded to a new DAC, I could now see better where the instruments are located in Driving, the first track of Hans Zimmer’s Live in Prague. The timing of the music is now so perfect and it has got that 3D effects. Previously it was quite flat with music coming from a big black hole behind the speakers.

Listening to the 7th track - You’re So Cool, the timing is so perfect I kinda suspect there’s a super duper high-end clock in inside the M12. Is there one?

I had initially wanted to A/B the effect of having the M12 in my system and without. But it was totally unnecessary and I simply continued listening to the the whole album last night.

This morning I played John William’s The Imperial March. In line with my observation last night, there was clearly more definition in the music, it’s like watching a 4K video vs full HD. However, when the trumpet came in, there’s a slight loss of airiness and dynamics.

I have a love-hate relationship with Patricia Barber recordings. When I first listened to her Cafe Blue album, I found that the recording was superb but the music sucks. Subsequently as I upgraded my hifi system her music became more and more musical and lively. I always use this album to audition for musicality. And with the M12 there was a slight lost in the sparkles and musicality

To be fair the LPS and DC cable had fewer than 24 hours on their clock. I also read that the Telegärtner LAN cable also need long breaking-in hours. But overall I’m very with the upgrade at this juncture. Hopefully with more time the music will become less clinical.

View attachment 81504
Out of curiosity from where did you buy the DC cable for M12?

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
Out of curiosity from where did you buy the DC cable for M12?

It is a PLiXiR’s Statement DC cable. I got it together with the LPS.

Reactions: onsionsi

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Marcin from JCAT had this ground conditioner cable made to order for me. Heard a huge improvement from the first notes! Didn’t expect this but wow, definitely a recommended upgrade!
JCAT1.jpg

JCAT2.jpg

seeteeyou

Apr 6, 2015

https://zhongce.sina.com.cn/article/view/110425/
https://www.lr-link.com/products/lres4006mt-poe.html
http://www.visionchinashow.net/txw_ensz/exhibit/product_body.aspx?zs=939&id=1185
The LRES 4006MT-PoE uses a unique X-Code cross shield to isolate four communication signals for signal integrity, while its rugged and durable characteristics make the modified product ideal for wet and other harsh environments, such as field monitoring, railway monitoring, industrial production, etc.

About $270 (1,680 RMB) here

https://detail.tmall.com/item.htm?id=656084349943

Now we could have M12 X-coded connectors on both ends.

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
I bought a Telegartner M12 switch and it arrived today. Out of box, it sounds reasonably fine but I found it a bit muddy though the bass sound clearly more than my Melco S100 while it has a smooth sound, quite warm. I hope it can provide more resolution.

It is a bit weird to describe the sound of M12 as “analog” for such a typical digital gear. But it really brings a touch of analog taste.

Can anyone advise if M12 will need some burn-in hours or the sound is stable out of box? I am looking for a DC cable so that I can use my KECES P8 with its 12V output. The M12 has quite a wide range of voltage from 10v-60v. I assume 12V would work?

I was following some tips from the threads above. I grounded it to an electricity supply box into the dedicated ground board. I does sound clearer and more transparent than without a ground.

I connected 3 Telegartner network cables to Melco, a streamer (Auralic Aries G2.1) and a Roon Core (Innuos Zenith MK3). However I found on the M12, the LED is flashing in orange. Does it mean it is a 100MB connection instead of 1000MB?

I assume those should be 1000MB sockets?

Thanks

Last edited:

MasterparK

Jan 16, 2022
South Korea
I bought a Telegartner M12 switch and it arrived today. Out of box, it sounds reasonably fine but I found it a bit muddy though the bass sound clearly more than my Melco S100 while it has a smooth sound, quite warm. I hope it can provide more resolution.

It is a bit weird to describe the sound of M12 as “analog” for such a typical digital gear. But it really brings a touch of analog taste.

Can anyone advise if M12 will need some burn-in hours or the sound is stable out of box? I am looking for a DC cable so that I can use my KECES P8 with its 12V output. The M12 has quite a wide range of voltage from 10v-60v. I assume 12V would work?

I was following some tips from the threads above. I grounded it to an electricity supply box into the dedicated ground board. I does sound clearer and more transparent than without a ground.

I connected 3 Telegartner network cables to Melco, a streamer (Auralic Aries G2.1) and a Roon Core (Innuos Zenith MK3). However I found on the M12, the LED is flashing in orange. Does it mean it is a 100MB connection instead of 1000MB?

When I connected the m12 gold first time, I was really disappointed. and I couldn’t believe that this one was known as the best switch out there.

Firstly I tried to isolate vibration with magnesium alloy foot and changed power supply with Lithium-ion Phosphate Battery pack designed for audiophile which is from 13.5v to 10v natually diminishes. (the best point of the voltage was 10v) It came with a wide open sound stage, hugely noticeable difference.

And secondly when I changed the telegartner ethernet cables with the sablon ethernet 2020 for m12 gold, beautiful musicality followed up instantly. I can not get away with the impact of the m12 gold now. I am loving it.

Orange flashing is the indication of 100mb. Green flashing is 1000mb.
I hope you find the best outcome with M12 gold soon.

Reactions: Sablon Audio

PR13

Dec 15, 2019
UK

Thanks
You don't need more than 100 to stream hi res. Mine is the same, green incoming, orange to my DAC. Don't stress about it, I don't and the sound is absolutely sublime.

Straight out of the box, as it were, mine was superb, the bass particularly was the first thing I noticed. Has improved 10 fold since.

I too went with Sablon ethernet cables, I want to say (from the experience of others) that I was on a good foot from the start but not having tried any other brand, I cannot say for sure. I am more than impressed though with the cables, they are lovely and as many audiophiles are into bling, they don't disappoint

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
Thanks for the feedbacks.

I can self-answer part of what I was asking. The sound quality improved along with the “burn-in”, after almost 3 days powered up, the switch sounds more natural, clear, less muddy, going to the right direction.

But I did 2 additional efforts which also brought significant improvements are:

I grounded the switch, with a ground cable going to a ground device associated with my power supply. I read about someone connected it to a ground box, even a phono ground post, etc. All in all, I find grounding the switch is an efficient way to improve.

I use a linear power supply to power up the switch. I have a KECES P8 and I customized a DC cable that can fit the M12 socket. It is a 12V output, in the range of 10V-60V marked on the switch. But I don’t know what is the “sweet point volt” in this range. So far it seems to work fine with 12V. This also brings the performance into another level, higher resolution, refinement, etc. A very noticeable improvement.

I also tried to put the switch on a anti-vibration board. I felt there’re improvements but not very much sonically visible. One puzzle is this switch is narrow and relatively light. Once it is cabled with those stiff Telegartner cables, I found it difficult to find a balance. Therefore, anti-vibration board may not work well. I have to use a weight to press the switch on the board.

Compared to the sound when it arrived, after burn-in, DC power supply, grounding, maybe anti-vibe, the M12 sounds quite different, not muddy at all and I found the resolution that I expect.

I’m wondering whether the performance would improve if I change the LPS into JCAT or Uptone, or Ferrum? Not sure anyone had such experiences in comparing among different LPS’s.

Reactions: ctydwn and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I also tried to put the switch on a anti-vibration board. I felt there’re improvements but not very much sonically visible. One puzzle is this switch is narrow .
Volent HK, the official dealer in HK put it on a Taiko panzerholz board with good effect.
However I am not sure if panzerholz boards of this size is available in places other than HK.
The M12 Gold can be screwed onto the board for better anchorage but Volent didn't do that.

I’m wondering whether the performance would improve if I change the LPS into JCAT or Uptone, or Ferrum? Not sure anyone had such experiences in comparing among different LPS’s.
Pls also consider the Plixir Elite Series LPS from Singapore.
They complement the characters of M12 Gold very well.

Reactions: onsionsi and ctydwn

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
I would definitely second the Plixir Elite BDC LPS on the M12. Also, use another Plixir Elite BDC LPS on my ISP modem.
As far as isolation, have had positive effects from 'gathering' my networking/grounding/switch gear on an HRS M3X2 isolation base...

m12 1.JPG
m12 2.JPG

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
It took me 2 weeks to a month to run in the whole M12 setup. I read that it’s due to the Telegartner LAN cables that require long burn-in period.

I also read that 100M/Fast Ethernet connection sounds better but I will get an error in Roon when playing hires files. So now I connect the M12 exclusively to the 1000M/Gigabit Ethernet port of the S100. I can’t hear any difference to be honest.

My M12 is connected between the Melco S100 and Melco Z1. In my case “green” is 100M and “yellow” is 1000M.

Below with the M12 connected to 1000M port of the S100:
0EE3280B-DD89-4672-A23A-FFB242919361.jpeg

And here when it’s connected to the 100M port:
E92AB1A1-0EE5-4115-8430-80C0F226B563.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: ctydwn and CKKeung

ShawnZH

Sep 20, 2020
It took me 2 weeks to a month to run in the whole M12 setup. I read that it’s due to the Telegartner LAN cables that require long burn-in period.

I also read that 100M/Fast Ethernet connection sounds better but I will get an error in Roon when playing hires files. So now I connect the M12 exclusively to the 1000M/Gigabit Ethernet port of the S100. I can’t hear any difference to be honest.

My M12 is connected between the Melco S100 and Melco Z1. In my case “green” is 100M and “yellow” is 1000M.

Below with the M12 connected to 1000M port of the S100:
View attachment 88632

And here when it’s connected to the 100M port:
View attachment 88633
Thanks CK. I have a Melco S100 but didn’t try to connect to M12 via its 100M jack. You solve the riddle of the LED color. Normally green is faster :)

Reactions: ctydwn

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing