M12 Gold Switch

Redphu

Sep 24, 2018
Hello folks,

New to hobby so trying to keep up. Currently supporting sonore player and looking for ofcourse MORE. Can someone tell me the difference between the Sonore Optical Module Deluxe vs the Fiber box II.

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Anyone ever try/compare how one M12 Gold compares to two M12 Magic?

The sound of the m12 magic is quite different from the m12 gold not only due to different construction, but also because it's limited to 100Mbit vs. 1Gbit (gold)

With a good linear power supply I could live happily with the m12 magic

But once you hear m12 gold, there is no way back - it has more of everything.

Regards,
Marcin

Reactions: ctydwn

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Has anyone tried to ground M12 gold switch to ground box? There is a screw with red wire which I think is grounding post

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
Has anyone tried to ground M12 gold switch to ground box? There is a screw with red wire which I think is grounding post
Yes, I have the m12 gold switch and NET Card XE grounded using high quality OCC cable. The cable is then connnected to grounding box from foQ.

Router in other room is also grounded this way.

L1004486.jpg

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Regardless of right or wrong or in between, this seems distasteful to be airing this issue on a public form and pasting private texts, etc. rather than the company/dealers etc. figuring it out offline.
just IMHO

Reactions: gds7368 and 4FUN

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
This is a follow-up post after sharing my network improvement journey I learned from members in this forum.

So I got myself an M12 Gold and had to wait 2 weeks for the Plixir LPS. While waiting for the LPS I connected the M12 with the stock SMPS between the Melco S100 and N1Z. At first I was impressed at M12’s ability to present the micro details but I also noticed that the music had become cold and lifeless, the musicality had simply disappeared.

To stop the torturing process I immediately unplugged the M12 and connected it to my wireless router to break it in.

Yesterday my 12V6A Elite DC Power Supply arrived. I quickly set it up and let it bed for a few hours before the audition began.

Wow I finally understood why the M12 is so popular amongst the members here. Hearing is believing! It’s like having upgraded to a new DAC, I could now see better where the instruments are located in Driving, the first track of Hans Zimmer’s Live in Prague. The timing of the music is now so perfect and it has got that 3D effects. Previously it was quite flat with music coming from a big black hole behind the speakers.

Listening to the 7th track - You’re So Cool, the timing is so perfect I kinda suspect there’s a super duper high-end clock in inside the M12. Is there one?

I had initially wanted to A/B the effect of having the M12 in my system and without. But it was totally unnecessary and I simply continued listening to the the whole album last night.

This morning I played John William’s The Imperial March. In line with my observation last night, there was clearly more definition in the music, it’s like watching a 4K video vs full HD. However, when the trumpet came in, there’s a slight loss of airiness and dynamics.

I have a love-hate relationship with Patricia Barber recordings. When I first listened to her Cafe Blue album, I found that the recording was superb but the music sucks. Subsequently as I upgraded my hifi system her music became more and more musical and lively. I always use this album to audition for musicality. And with the M12 there was a slight lost in the sparkles and musicality

To be fair the LPS and DC cable had fewer than 24 hours on their clock. I also read that the Telegärtner LAN cable also need long breaking-in hours. But overall I’m very with the upgrade at this juncture. Hopefully with more time the music will become less clinical.

F0DD27CE-2066-4610-9CB0-B9FC3C17A0F4.jpeg

Addicted to hifi

VIP/Donor
Sep 8, 2020
Australia
This is a follow-up post after sharing my network improvement journey I learned from members in this forum.

So I got myself an M12 Gold and had to wait 2 weeks for the Plixir LPS. While waiting for the LPS I connected the M12 with the stock SMPS between the Melco S100 and N1Z. At first I was impressed at M12’s ability to present the micro details but I also noticed that the music had become cold and lifeless, the musicality had simply disappeared.

To stop the torturing process I immediately unplugged the M12 and connected it to my wireless router to break it in.

Yesterday my 12V6A Elite DC Power Supply arrived. I quickly set it up and let it bed for a few hours before the audition began.

Wow I finally understood why the M12 is so popular amongst the members here. Hearing is believing! It’s like having upgraded to a new DAC, I could now see better where the instruments are located in Driving, the first track of Hans Zimmer’s Live in Prague. The timing of the music is now so perfect and it has got that 3D effects. Previously it was quite flat with music coming from a big black hole behind the speakers.

Listening to the 7th track - You’re So Cool, the timing is so perfect I kinda suspect there’s a super duper high-end clock in inside the M12. Is there one?

I had initially wanted to A/B the effect of having the M12 in my system and without. But it was totally unnecessary and I simply continued listening to the the whole album last night.

This morning I played John William’s The Imperial March. In line with my observation last night, there was clearly more definition in the music, it’s like watching a 4K video vs full HD. However, when the trumpet came in, there’s a slight loss of airiness and dynamics.

I have a love-hate relationship with Patricia Barber recordings. When I first listened to her Cafe Blue album, I found that the recording was superb but the music sucks. Subsequently as I upgraded my hifi system her music became more and more musical and lively. I always use this album to audition for musicality. And with the M12 there was a slight lost in the sparkles and musicality

To be fair the LPS and DC cable had fewer than 24 hours on their clock. I also read that the Telegärtner LAN cable also need long breaking-in hours. But overall I’m very with the upgrade at this juncture. Hopefully with more time the music will become less clinical.

View attachment 81504
Very nice.

Jeffy

Apr 27, 2014
Orchard Lake, MI

View attachment 81504
I found the 12 to be too bright in my system as well. It lost the musicality. I switched to the Innuos switch using wireworld ethernet going through a emosafe passive network isolator filter. The filter was crucial. The sound I'm getting now is very natural.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
I found the 12 to be too bright in my system as well. It lost the musicality. I switched to the Innuos switch using wireworld ethernet going through a emosafe passive network isolator filter. The filter was crucial. The sound I'm getting now is very natural.
This is the filter?

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Due to some setup changes I'm looking for a 5 meter high-end M12 network cable but couldn't find any so I'm using a Delock 85432 M12 network cable in the meantime. Doesn't sound bad at all for the price, €56,64, it's even got a RJ45 Hirose plug. Any suggestions for a better cable in this length are welcome.

01delock.jpg

*Edit: Ordered a 3 meter Telegärtner RJ45 CAT 6A network cable and a EMO EN-1005+ network isolator to use in combination with the 2 meter M12 Network Cable that came with switch instead of the 5 meter Delock M12 cable.

1anetworkset.jpg

Last edited:

tategoi

Dec 25, 2014
I saw that you have #1 and #2 plugged-in. Does this combination give you better sound? My dealer recommended #1 and #5 but I’ve yet to play around with the combination. However I discovered that the exposed outer metal of #1, #2 and reset connectors are connected to the grounding post but not those of #3, #4 and #5. I wonder why. Will play around with the combination when I get hold hold of an Entreq box.

I only noticed that some LAN ports of the Melco S100 sound slightly different to one another but I can’t conclude which one is best though.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
No idea, haven't tried different combinations. Marcin, who I got the switch from, does it this way as you can see in post #205 so I presume this is the best way.

Drikus

Member Sponsor
Sep 28, 2012
Brussels
Marcin will get me a 3 meter Telegärtner Japan MFP8 IE Gold RJ45 LAN cable (special order for that length) and a JCAT net isolator;

DSC_0008tt (1).jpeg

DSC_0067tt.jpeg

l1010799.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing