M12 Gold Switch

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Which one are you referring to - Reference (Green) or Signature (Orange)? The Signature is less stiff.
Gosh. Now I don't know. It was a standard Lan cable, using a normal switch, not one with the special connectors for the M12. May be the MFP8 Cat 8 cable?

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Telegartner Japan says that this smps is of medical grade and the perfect partner of the switch.
:rolleyes:

Yeah the difference for medical grade is there are stricter rules for ground current leakage. So there are no Y (L&N to ground) filter caps shunting high frequency noise to your ground for example. Hurray ;)

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
Emile :
Please check the dimensions of the switch and experiment with diff board sizes.
I guess the optimal one should be long enough to allow using screws to anchor the switch via its two small outtriggers onto the Daiza.

Then every M12 Gold Switch owners will buy one for sure.
:cool:

Hmm interesting thought, with the supplied stiff ethernet cables it does indeed trip over easily. Will have a go at that!

Reactions: CKKeung

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
No ar.
It's an industrial waterproof dc socket/plug.

You have to buy this plug and install it on your dc cable (M12 Gold's end).
View attachment 64129

CK, thx for the great reporting and pics!

I could NOT understand your first post after you visited your distributor and you did not think the M12 Gold was at the level of the Extreme. I thought there must be something amiss in the system that you had heard. Now that the M12 Gold is broken in I am glad that you have heard what it does.

I just grounded my M12 Gold Switch and it was not a subtle up-tick in performance. I also have my M12 Gold on a Diaza platform. My Optimo 3 Duo PS which will power BOTH the M12 Gold AND my Edge router is shipping next week.

I've already reached sonic nirvana, but looking to icing on the cake with the Optimo PS.

Again, thx for the great pics and report!!!

Be well. Keep safe.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
CK, thx for the great reporting and pics!

I could NOT understand your first post after you visited your distributor and you did not think the M12 Gold was at the level of the Extreme. I thought there must be something amiss in the system that you had heard. Now that the M12 Gold is broken in I am glad that you have heard what it does.

I just grounded my M12 Gold Switch and it was not a subtle up-tick in performance. I also have my M12 Gold on a Diaza platform. My Optimo 3 Duo PS which will power BOTH the M12 Gold AND my Edge router is shipping next week.

I've already reached sonic nirvana, but looking to icing on the cake with the Optimo PS.

Be well. Keep safe.

What did you ground the switch with Bob?

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
What did you ground the switch with Bob?

I just connected the ground lug on the M12 to my phono stage ground. I will probably find a stronger direct ground point to an outlet ground, I just wanted to see if I could hear a difference doing this. Which I did.

Reactions: howiebrou

rgmd11

Mar 30, 2017
Telegartner also says that the chassis of M12 Gold Swtich is made of sturdy cast aluminum alloy and therefore of industrial grade standards.
It can survive in all kinds of weather and what's important to audiophiles is that it is resistant to vibrations harmful to sonic performance.

However I did an experiment yeaterday during the audition :
Instead of placing the M12 Gold Switch directly on the top level of a Quadrature HiFi Rack, I inserted a small size Taiko Audio Daiza panzerholz board and listened again.

View attachment 64120

No surprise again.
Both the dealer and I noticed the sonic improvement in seconds!
They were in all sonic aspects and not subtle at all.
I actually think that this tweak is MANDATORY !

However the Daiza I experimented with was not of the perfect size for M12 Gold Switch.

Emile :
Please check the dimensions of the switch and experiment with diff board sizes.
I guess the optimal one should be long enough to allow using screws to anchor the switch via its two small outtriggers onto the Daiza.

Then every M12 Gold Switch owners will buy one for sure.
:cool:

Hi
Maybe you can mount the M12 onto the Daiza diagonally !

Reactions: Glide3 and CKKeung

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Thanks for the extensive report @CKKeung
There is one more thing you should try with the m12 switch gold: ground it! Then you will reach the ultimate performance
Best regards
Marcin
Hello Marcin,

I know that ar. :D

Capture _2020-04-18-19-19-27-3~3.png

Will try grounding for sure.
Will gather diff ground cables and groundboxes to have another fun gathering.
;)

Reactions: Marcin_gps

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Reactions: Mike Lavigne

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Be well. Keep safe.
Thanks very much for your kind words!

I am quite confident that the new JCAT Optimo DUO must be a top LPS.
Can it challenge the unobtainable golden grail of Paul Haynes SR7?
Please do comparison aginst some good LPS and share with WBF brothers here.
Thanks again!
:)

BTW I think the PLiXiR Elite LPS worked very well with M12 Gold Switch too.
A very good cheaper alternative for M12 Gold owners.

Last edited:

onlychild

Sep 18, 2019
Let's continue with tweaks.

How about if an audiophile has got an audiophile switch already?
Should he sell it away and get a M12 Gold as replacement?

No of course!
As good as the M12 Gold, audiophiles will be awed by employing it in a dual-switch configuration!
I tested the tweak yesterday :

View attachment 64122

The above photo was taken before give it the Daiza panzerholz board.
The pairing switch was only a humble Clones Audio audiophile switch costing usd700.
The connecting ethernet cable was again a humble Telegartner Gold MFP8 Mk2.

I have mentioned on diff threads in the past that doing a dual-switch config is much much more cost-effective than adding a top 10M clock to a single switch such as SOtM.
And this is a perfect example.
The leap in sonic performance make it a must-do as well.
;)

Some WBF brothers must be very itchy now and want to test the dual-switch tweak with various brands/models.
Please go ahead and share your experience here.
:D

So who will be the first to run dual M12s in series? Might be easier for a dealer to try.

Reactions: CKKeung

2ndLiner

Dec 16, 2015
Perhaps users could share their M12's, you know, alternate weeks. You send me yours and I'll send you mine. Applicants sign here!

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
So who will be the first to run dual M12s in series? Might be easier for a dealer to try.

I do actually have another M12 switch (the Telegartner sounds best), I could try that though my schedule probably won't allow me to do so on very short notice.

Reactions: onlychild

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Why stop at two? Paul Pang recommends a quad switch.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Perhaps users could share their M12's, you know, alternate weeks. You send me yours and I'll send you mine. Applicants sign here!

I will be able to do it by next week. I have one M12 Gold installed now. I have another M12 coming later this week. To connect the two M12s in series I will need a net isolator so that I can use the M12/J45 connector cables to go in and out of the two M12 switches.

The net isolator will come along with the Optimo 3 Duo PS which should be here sometime next week. So, if no one has done it by then I will do it. Although even if someone else does it prior, I will still be dong it and we can compare results.

With the Optimo and it's dual outputs I can run both M12s off the Optimo.

Should be interesting......

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Once I get all of the "paraphernalia" I will do a few videos-

1) No M12 Switch

2) M12 Switch with supplied PS

3) M12 with Optimo 3 Duo

4) Two each M12s with supplied PSs

5) Two M12s both powered with the Optimo

The purpose is not illustrate or to make any REAL judgements as bass is such a key factor in sound. The videos do NOT pick up the real experience in the room mostly because the bass is not in the video that is experienced in the room.

What makes my systems very special for me are the 3D holographic soundstage that is created that are accentuated with the insertion of the M12. More individual space between instruments and air around each instrument and voice/body.

Unfortunately the 3D holographic experience does NOT come across in the videos. SO, it still will be fun, but I personally would not put much meaning in the videos other than an amusing interlude while we all are in the state that we are in.

My Nikon D5500 that I am now using for the videos starts to roll off the bass at 100Hz. I tried a Rode mic last week but did not like it and sent it back. I have another mic coming this week. Its a Deity mic and goes down to 50Hz so it might be better by the time I do these videos.

Moment-deity-VMICD3PRO-V-Mic-D3-Pro-01.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing