M12 Gold Switch

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Bob I hope you make them blind recordings. Give us a week to decide then once arguments have subsided and the thread has been closed you can tell us.

Reactions: Bobvin and Rhapsody

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Hahahahahah:)....

Reactions: howiebrou

nonesup

VIP/Donor
Feb 15, 2017
Spain
I understand that the Switch Telegatner has an origin as an industrial Switch and in that context its waterproof connectors make a lot of sense. However, now it has broken into the world of audio and I think you should think of a model with RJ45 connectors. There are many potential leads with very expensive ethernet cables, who are not willing to give them up.

Marcin_gps

VIP Donor/Industry Expert
Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Reactions: Marcin_gps

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu
I understand that the Switch Telegatner has an origin as an industrial Switch and in that context its waterproof connectors make a lot of sense. However, now it has broken into the world of audio and I think you should think of a model with RJ45 connectors. There are many potential leads with very expensive ethernet cables, who are not willing to give them up.

I'm pretty sure a RJ45 variation of the switch will not sound as good. The m12 connectors are greatly reponsible for the sound the switch 'produce'

Sablon Audio

Industry Expert, VIP Donor
May 22, 2015

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Great news there are other options of LAN cable for m12 gold switch.

It will be interesting to find out how the M12 connector contributes to the sound as compared to RJ45 connector

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
That’s an interesting question Pang though we should also bear in mind that not all rj45 are created equally.

Based on what I know of the Telegaertner rj45 plugs, my prediction when using a cat 7 or better rated cable is as follows - cat8 rj45 > M12 > cat6a rj45

On a lesser rated cable, the M12 might well come out on top but it is hard to tell and somewhat academic given that this is an industrial interface not used elsewhere in our homes.

One potential way to test this hypothesis would be to make two longer rj45 cables and then break them in the middle with rj45 and M12 plugs/sockets respectively and compare back to back. I may try that next month, on a best endeavours basis etc ;)

Reactions: nonesup

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
That’s an interesting question Pang though we should also bear in mind that not all rj45 are created equally.

Based on what I know of the Telegaertner rj45 plugs, my prediction when using a cat 7 or better rated cable is as follows - cat8 rj45 > M12 > cat6a rj45

On a lesser rated cable, the M12 might well come out on top but it is hard to tell and somewhat academic given that this is an industrial interface not used elsewhere in our homes.

One potential way to test this hypothesis would be to make two longer rj45 cables and then break them in the middle with rj45 and M12 plugs/sockets respectively and compare back to back. I may try that next month, on a best endeavours basis etc ;)

Mark, previously I compared both RJ45 and M12 plugs version of telegartner gold LAN cables. M12 version sounds better for me consistently. However the big limitation is the switch is different (melco S100 and m12 gold switch). The LPS is the same for both switches. I wonder is there any way to conduct a fair comparison bet rj45 and m12 plug.

Reactions: Marcin_gps

Sablon Audio

May 22, 2015
Mark, previously I compared both RJ45 and M12 plugs version of telegartner gold LAN cables. M12 version sounds better for me consistently. However the big limitation is the switch is different (melco S100 and m12 gold switch). The LPS is the same for both switches. I wonder is there any way to conduct a fair comparison bet rj45 and m12 plug.

That’s good Pang though it will have been a cat6a rj45 plug and we both know what the cat8 version brings to the party ;-) Afaik the TG M12x plug has 1ghz bandwidth, likely on account of the extra shielding of the conductor pairs to minimise alien cross talk (AXT).

We then need to consider how the M12 plug also happens to use a similarly spec’d socket whereas most of our equipment has older lower spec rj45 sockets. Tbh that is something I am scratching my head about just now, as I was surprised at the gains I achieved from the cat 8 plug despite the equipment jacks being of a much lower bandwidth which shouldn’t let the full potential shine. Gotta wonder how cat8 sockets in tow would compare...

Reactions: kimurastanley

Marcin_gps

Jun 24, 2015
jcat.eu

Japan Telegaertner MFP8 IE GOLD RJ45 LAN connector in addition to being gold plated (the standard version supplied to 3rd party is only nickel plated), it has a new substrate with gold plated contact and signal pins and is made to be less susceptible to micro vibration over the standard version. It sounds a lot better than the standard connector - more detailed and nuanced.
Unfortunately the connectors are not available to the public. I'm one of the few lucky ones to be able to use them.

Regards,
Marcin

darkfrank

Oct 29, 2018
Japan Telegaertner MFP8 IE GOLD RJ45 LAN connector in addition to being gold plated (the standard version supplied to 3rd party is only nickel plated), it has a new substrate with gold plated contact and signal pins and is made to be less susceptible to micro vibration over the standard version. It sounds a lot better than the standard connector - more detailed and nuanced.
Unfortunately the connectors are not available to the public. I'm one of the few lucky ones to be able to use them.

Regards,
Marcin

It looks like Telegartner would not even want to offer this upgrade to the customer who purchased the m12 gold switch set, for the attached cables.

Reactions: onlychild

Musiclvr

May 20, 2020
I’m about to order my M12 gold switch; And since members are talking about connecting two switches in series, I already have an Uptone Audio EtheRegen. Does anybody have any experience with the Uptone Audio? I was thinking of connecting these two in series. Thanks

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I’m about to order my M12 gold switch; And since members are talking about connecting two switches in series, I already have an Uptone Audio EtheRegen. Does anybody have any experience with the Uptone Audio? I was thinking of connecting these two in series. Thanks

It won't hurt to try it as you will have both in house. I think Romaz and maybe others DO have an EtherRegen in series with the M12 Gold Switches.

I am going to get an EtherRegen when they are available to insert into the chain and see what I hear.

Musiclvr

May 20, 2020

Regards,
Marcin
So we consumers cannot have that?

auricgoldfinger

Dec 8, 2019
It won't hurt to try it as you will have both in house. I think Romaz and maybe others DO have an EtherRegen in series with the M12 Gold Switches.

I am going to get an EtherRegen when they are available to insert into the chain and see what I hear.

Appreciate the feedback

I believe Romaz ended up going with some combination of the M12 and Melco switches.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing