Mad wonderful times with ASR Exclusive II

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Well, I recently purchased these wonderful amps/intergrated ...whatever, from someone downsizing in Northern NSW.
I had read they were very musical and great with Electrostatics, including my beloved Quad ESL, which AD wrote about.
The price was pretty wonderful also which helped.

Having installed the 4 monstrous chassis tied by huge power relay cables, which just about killed me lifting on my own in my basement music room

From the start with the Morel Fat ladies, there was a staggering improvement, in both timbral colour, and ability to different similar instruments, plus a gigantic sound stage with layering, and it was pretty good before them.

The amplifiers can be "tuned" changing a number of aspects of their behaviour electrically with clear sonic benefits

It has wonderful protection circuits, and tells you what is wrong, like stepping on a power cord, and one channel going down

OK, this is where things go a bit weird, but with wonderful results.

I had been using the Morel, the CLX sitting idyll in the room, as I have yet to find a amplifier that really worked with them, that I liked; or so I thought ( I can put the CLX on little trolleys to wheel them around)

I was mucking around with you tube classical videos through my Server, when I got a playback at 0DB, ie full blast!

After I hurriedly turned it off I noted a splash sound from time to time, I thought was a room resonance.

Eventually I tracked it down to the left channel midrange driver, I had burnt a voice coil.

I ordered another one from Madisons, but what to do while I waited for it to arrive.

Hey the CLX are there, and these ASR are supposed to be good on ESL.

So I plugged the CLX in

Right from the get go, there was a marked change to the character of the CLX, from other amplifiers.

There was no less transparency, but also increased resolution, and timbral colour, and wonderful bass, and the ASR would play the CLX very very loud without any strain.

I began to tweak the system, and each change seemed to render greater rewards.

The Morel driver arrived, and I fitted it, but that was two months ago and I still haven't listened to it

Recently, I really felt the CLX were singing, but I still felt there was a residual steeliness on occasions, maybe 5% of other amplifiers.

I went on holiday with my wife to Japan over Xmas and NY.

I often find when I am away, I come back and hear the system afresh and make improvements, or detect what had been annoying me

Besides the steely irksomeness, I still felt the ambience of the theatre a recording was made wasn't as good as it should be

My system has 5 auxillary subs, and a tree of supertweeters, they are supposed to add ambience. This runs through a DEQX, and uses a Chord DAC for DA duties.

While I was on holiday I was reading some back issues of HFN about the Aida, and XLF. What struck me, was they said the ambient rear tweeters should aim towards the centre of the soundstage.
For some reason, I thought they should point out, which is how I had them in my set up

Ok so the next day after returning I turned the big rig on, and all the subs, and the crossover.

I listened, an it sounded better than I remember before I went away.

Ok, so now for my experiment, I turned the tree, so that the two forward facing tweeters pointed towards the centre of the soundstage.

I listened.....WTF!

The steeliness was gone, and in its place great hall ambience, air around instruments, back of stage reverb, and improved detail retrieval, and much enhanced timbre.

It was as if the whole system just jelled.

I moved the tweeters a bit so they less crossed over, and it wasn't as good, so went back to exactly how I had them

I listened to my test set up DSD tracks, all sounded so much more real,

I changed to records, and the same changes were wrought

Recently I had felt my Bakoon two box phono sounded a little too lit up

My esoteric e03 seemed better balanced

Now when I played through the Esoteric it was excellent

I changed to the Monaco, with Triplanar, and bakoon running in current output mode

The Bakoon now had overtaken the esoteric. All brightness gone, and an earthy warm, and yet detailed picture replaced.

I put on all my test LPs and they all sounded spectacular.

I have a track of Messiah, which seems to always pic up flaws if anything is wrong.

When the first violins came in and then the choir, it was wonderful, and I jumped to my feet and started dancing around the room

When it stopped I realised I must have been playing this incredibly loud, with no apparent distortion or feedback

Best sound I have ever had in my system

I still haven't played the Morels lol

Reactions: Audiophile Bill

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Excellent report, nice results!

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Well, I recently purchased these wonderful amps/intergrated ...whatever, from someone downsizing in Northern NSW.
I had read they were very musical and great with Electrostatics, including my beloved Quad ESL, which AD wrote about.
The price was pretty wonderful also which helped.

Best sound I have ever had in my system

I still haven't played the Morels lol

Agreed 10% ASR II - best I ever heard.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
(...) Having installed the 4 monstrous chassis tied by huge power relay cables, which just about killed me lifting on my own in my basement music room (...)

I never decided what was more cumbersome, the four chassis or the three long anaconda type umbilicals ... The ASR Exclusive II sounded great with electrostatics - a good friend fell in love with Soundlab's listening to ancient music in my system and decided he had to get a pair A1's. The source was a Nagra CDP. I am sure you will have a great time listening to them on your Quad's!

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
Yes the quads will be interesting I will have to carry them down as won’t carry the asr up the stairs lol

I agree the four chassis and the huge umbilicals are hmmm big and cumbersome
Till you listen and then you admire them and accept its idiosyncratic take on an amplifier

Two helpful things for me is the sub out to the crossover and variable gain

Unlike Reddog I developed a bit of a love hate relationship with the CLX as I never found an amplifier I really liked he has been lucky with his CJ amps

I think if I had my time again I would have tried the Pass labs though they are a bit rare in Oz and crazy expensive

The only other was mono blocked Phi 200 VAC which were very good great timbre and dynamics sadly I didn’t buy them at the time which was a mistake I think again damn rare here

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Only 10%?

At least it wasn't 1%... :confused:

Absolutely should have been 100%.

Never heard any other amplifier, tube or ss, at any price, compare at delivering such a high level of pure musical engagement.

Not saying that such an amp doesn't exist, only that I haven't heard it, including the large number of high performance amps belonging to my RoomPlay system/room voicing clients.

Reactions: kevinkwann

awsmone

Apr 6, 2014
Canberra Australia
At least it wasn't 1%... :confused:

Absolutely should have been 100%.

Never heard any other amplifier, tube or ss, at any price, compare at delivering such a high level of pure musical engagement.

Not saying that such an amp doesn't exist, only that I haven't heard it, including the large number of high performance amps belonging to my RoomPlay system/room voicing clients.
I hadn't realised u have an ASR lol

Do u use their powercords that come with it or anything after market?

Is there an ypoint with a PC change on the battery pack other than for grounding?

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
I hadn't realised u have an ASR lol

Do u use their powercords that come with it or anything after market?

Is there any point with a PC change on the battery pack other than for grounding?

I use Stealth power cords for the two power supplies.

I do not use anything other than the stock pc for the battery.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Friedrich knows his stuff. I love my ASR phono stage. it allowed me to get off the audiophile equipment merry-go-round for phono stages a long time ago!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing