Magico A5?

MarkusBarkus

Feb 6, 2021
...for pre-amps Luxman has a CL-1000 component, which is tube-based, replacing the C1000.

Otherwise, they still offer the C900 to pair with the new M10-X amp, which last year replaced the venerable M900 amp. That is my understanding.

Regarding using the M900s in bridge-mode, I do like them. I first used a single M900 in stereo mode, but of course wondered what two would do. I contacted the guys at Luxman USA who (not unexpectedly perhaps) thought it would be terrific. And it is. Excellent control and grip. Very sweet sound.

They were also helpful in determining whether introducing the Magico A5s (to replace Revel Studio2s) would be suitable. I had concerns regarding impedance loads at certain frequencies.

It took about a week, but they closed the loop with Luxman engineers in Japan *and* with Magico. Green light. Frankly, I thought the Luxy US guys were excellent.

By all accounts, that M10X is a real sweet amp. I plan to enjoy what I have for a good while before I try to "guild a lily" so to speak.

kparmer65

May 13, 2022
So I traded the A5’s for a pair of B&W 801D4’s they had been siting in the boxes for the last 5 months while we finished the remodel on the Lake Home. Finally got them set up and WOW is all I have to say couldn’t be happier.

Reactions: bonzo75

ecwl

Mar 20, 2021
Winnipeg, Canada
So I traded the A5’s for a pair of B&W 801D4’s they had been siting in the boxes for the last 5 months while we finished the remodel on the Lake Home. Finally got them set up and WOW is all I have to say couldn’t be happier.
A friend had B&W 802D3 and tried Focal Sopra 2, Magico A5 at home and in the end just ordered the B&W 802D4 because he likes the sound better and the speakers have better synergy with his system for his music. At this price, everybody should just buy what they love.

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
...for pre-amps Luxman has a CL-1000 component, which is tube-based, replacing the C1000.

Otherwise, they still offer the C900 to pair with the new M10-X amp, which last year replaced the venerable M900 amp. That is my understanding.

Regarding using the M900s in bridge-mode, I do like them. I first used a single M900 in stereo mode, but of course wondered what two would do. I contacted the guys at Luxman USA who (not unexpectedly perhaps) thought it would be terrific. And it is. Excellent control and grip. Very sweet sound.

They were also helpful in determining whether introducing the Magico A5s (to replace Revel Studio2s) would be suitable. I had concerns regarding impedance loads at certain frequencies.

It took about a week, but they closed the loop with Luxman engineers in Japan *and* with Magico. Green light. Frankly, I thought the Luxy US guys were excellent.

By all accounts, that M10X is a real sweet amp. I plan to enjoy what I have for a good while before I try to "guild a lily" so to speak.
I had cl1000 and c900 now Luxman has c10x pre coming

mxk116

Mar 24, 2022
M10X here
That one is on my the short list. I’m using a Pass Labs XP-22 preamp which is exceptionally quiet and dynamic. Currently using a Classe Delta Stereo. It has a nice synergy with the Pass preamp which I think is, in part, due to its relatively high gain.

What preamp is your M-10X partnered with?

Last edited:
Reactions: ozy

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
That one is on my the short list. I’m using a Pass Labs XP-22 preamp which is exceptionally quite and dynamic. Currently using a Classe Delta Stereo. It has a nice synergy with the Pass preamp which I think is, in part, due to its relatively high gain.

What preamp is your M-10X partnered with?
VAC Master
From what I heard the C10X will be 24k retail and not to much different than C900 . I think the C900 is the value buy

GSOphile

Sep 3, 2017
I have an M-10X driving Magico S3 MkII's. The pre is a loaner ARC Ref 6SE pending availability of the C-10X, which I'm told will carry a 20K USD MSRP (same as the M-10X). The M-900u's were criticized in some circles as not being particularly dynamic. My M-10X is still breaking in, but is very dynamic. Liking what I hear a lot.

b345t

May 10, 2020
I have IsoAcoustics Gaia Titan Theis 70 & IsoAcoustics Gaia Titan Carpet under my
Focal Maestro Utopia Evo with great results
Just wondered If APOD would be better . Has to be a lot simpler that dealing with those carpet disks :)

Do you have both speakers or did you move from the Maestro Evo to the A5? I am currently contemplating an upgrade from my Sopra 2 and would be very grateful if you could describe the differences between these two speakers in your environment. Cheers!

rau

Aug 6, 2015
Wisconsin
Do you have both speakers or did you move from the Maestro Evo to the A5? I am currently contemplating an upgrade from my Sopra 2 and would be very grateful if you could describe the differences between these two speakers in your environment. Cheers!
Maestro Evo big difference than Sopra , I listened to Sopra 2 &3 before and I'd pick A5 all day . But if I had to pick Maestro or A5 I'd keep Maestro . I have both pairs still at different homes

Reactions: b345t

b345t

May 10, 2020
Maestro Evo big difference than Sopra , I listened to Sopra 2 &3 before and I'd pick A5 all day . But if I had to pick Maestro or A5 I'd keep Maestro . I have both pairs still at different homes
Thanks!

avian

Oct 17, 2020
rau, did you ever end up trying the Iso Acoustics Gaia Titan (or similar) under the A5's, and if so, was the improvement significant?

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing