Magico M6

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Question. It still is something of an enigma to me...the first (?) aluminium super speaker by Magico: the M6. Has anyone ever heard it and how does it compare to later models?

post-12153-014822600 1322770041.jpg

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
I heard it a number of times, and there had been a number of revisions to the midrange and I think to the bass drivers as well (and I am guessing the crossover). The bass was overwhelming, the midrange improved with newer drivers and the overall sound was a bit "hollow", and again I am guessing, perhaps due to the lack of internal bracing - I would call it early-stage Magico sound. Having listened to the Q series since then, I wouldn't care for the M6 anymore. The only thing I would have kept from the M6 is the Heil tweeter.

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
I heard it a number of times, and there had been a number of revisions to the midrange and I think to the bass drivers as well (and I am guessing the crossover). The bass was overwhelming, the midrange improved with newer drivers and the overall sound was a bit "hollow", and again I am guessing, perhaps due to the lack of internal bracing - I would call it early-stage Magico sound. Having listened to the Q series since then, I wouldn't care for the M6 anymore. The only thing I would have kept from the M6 is the Heil tweeter.

Thank you Ack! Clear answer!

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
FWIW, I did remember correctly, there were indeed versions with different bass drivers as well (and apparently tweeters); here's an early version than the one you posted (in it, the midranges are also different). Well, I hope this was still called the "M6" back then

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Alon Wolf must have had unlimited funds to build all these pricey prototypes...wow! But talk about butt ugly...arrrgh..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Alon has come a really long way aesthetically. I loved the look of the Mini, the Q1 no. I do think the S' and especially the M Project look wonderful. Talk about a far cry from the M6 which looked like it belonged in the Death Star's reactor room. I always wondered why he would adorn a speaker with what looked like heat fins.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing