Magico M7 2023

They say this is it, just do it. A dealer dream...

Reactions: adyc
Ok I just had a euphony. Just saw that a bottle of scotch went for 2.7 million dollars. Bring on a 5 million dollar speaker please!

Re: the 1926 Macallan:
"...Sotheby’s, which believes at least one of the 40 bottles has been opened and consumed."

Forbes noted a couple of bottles were purchased at the Dubai Airport for 600K. Sometimes you're pinched for time and need to pick up a little something for the office on the way back home.

The customer's that I refer to love listening to music. They also have many things going on in their lives. Family, run large businesses or very career absorbed, several homes, lot's of travel.

None of the customers that I refer to are on audio forums or think a whole lot about maximizing their "audio systems" or even "think" about their audio systems. They have the $$$ to buy nice systems and they buy them and then only use them to listen to music when they have the time, but none of them that I know obsess about sound, equipment etc. They just occasionally listen to music. They don't continually upgrade their audio systems. They buy the systems, have them installed and and then just enjoy them for listening to music.

Thank you. My mistake was thinking that they are audiophiles (as we think of that term).

Reactions: Rhapsody
Ok I just had a euphony. Just saw that a bottle of scotch went for 2.7 million dollars. Bring on a 5 million dollar speaker please!
Hi Scott, I am just curious. Do you spend time on the XVX or Chronosonic threads wondering why the XVX at $329K or the Chronosonic at almost $700K are so expensive? Or is it just the Magico threads?

Hi Scott, I am just curious. Do you spend time on the XVX or Chronosonic threads wondering why the XVX at $329K or the Chronosonic at almost $700K are so expensive? Or is it just the Magico threads?
Why are you so concerned about this?

Why are you so concerned about this?
I am not concerned, it's just that you are constantly posting about the prices on this thread and I am wondering if you do it on other threads or is it just this thread? Just curious.

Edit- Sorry for asking. I will solve my curiosity by just going to your profile/posts and check for myself. I was just curious if your pricing posts were directed specifically at Magico or just speakers in general.

Last edited:
Disastrous for me at times. They have the perfect room and then they show me the "music room" and I say "what about the perfect room" and they say for one or several of the mentioned reasons, "no that's not happening". Sometimes to their chagrin, most of the times they really don't care all that much about it. They say this is it, just do it.
i respect that these 'whales' do fuel our hobby in some ways and i respect their love of music. it's a little sad that they don't hear everything their uber gear can do. i suppose it's a part of the hobby like any other. one man's boombox is another man's M9. how are they essentially any different? just a few more zero's in the price.

it's better than car collectors who's collection all have less than 150 miles on the odom (cars as art). at least the M9 owner listens sometimes. maybe more than sometimes. might have plenty of passion, and their time listening might be truly quality time. it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

it would be interesting to plot retail cost of main speakers verses time actually listening to that system. wonder where the sweet spot is? every day when i enter my room i pinch myself that i can be there....and that i'm very lucky. never take it for granted. i suppose we all have our own approach to that. when there is no lifestyle cost/commitment to a system then our relationship to it might be different.

i respect that these 'whales' do fuel our hobby in some ways and i respect their love of music. it's a little sad that they don't hear everything their uber gear can do. i suppose it's a part of the hobby like any other. one man's boombox is another man's M9. how are they essentially any different? just a few more zero's in the price.

it's better than car collectors who's collection all have less than 150 miles on the odom (cars as art). at least the M9 owner listens sometimes. maybe more than sometimes. might have plenty of passion, and their time listening might be truly quality time. it's fair to give them the benefit of the doubt.

it would be interesting to plot retail cost of main speakers verses time actually listening to that system. wonder where the sweet spot is?
Agree Mike. I notice that most of the "whales" that I refer to don't really question if it sounds good or not, or they want to make it sound better. They just listen to the music. As bad to an audiophile that some of these uber price systems sound, they still sound pretty darn good, especially to a non-audiophile.

I am always complaining about this is an M7 thread, and it's me taking it in another direction. Back to regular M7 programming.

Last edited:
Agree Mike. I notice that most of the "whales" that I refer to don't really question if it sounds good or not, or they want to make it send better. They just listen to the music. As bad to an audiophile that some of these uber price systems sound, they still sound pretty darn good, especially to a non-audiophile.

I am always complaining about this is an M7 thread, and it's me taking it in another direction. Back to regular M7 programming.
we want to pretend it's just about the merits of the product, but $400k stirs up lots of stuff (and the M9 gets dragged into it) and no avoiding it. i think the mentality of buyers for the product is fair game. i deal with that too all the time. comes with the territory.

Reactions: Rhapsody
we want to pretend it's just about the merits of the product, but $400k stirs up lots of stuff (and the M9 gets dragged into it) and no avoiding it. i think the mentality of buyers for the product is fair game. i deal with that too all the time. comes with the territory.
Mike, you mean to say people question why a grown-ass man would spend a fraction of a gazzillion $$ on an ”stereo” in an out-building way up in the mountains? And then hermits himself away? Say it ain’t so? :p

A fellow on Audiogon posted this in reference to endgame speakers;

"Since I am not twenty years younger (I am 61), I would rather spend the time and energy I have left on woodworking projects and travel, rather than amassing lots of gear that will eventually be a burden to my son after I move on.

AND—since I am not going to win the lottery, I am very thankful to have the system I have, which checks all my boxes and puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on."

That spoke to me. I'm not here to judge others but to share my experiences and learn from others all while having fun. I came into this hobby with limited resources at 15 years old buying (money earned mowing lawns) and making Fisher and then Dynaco tube amps. I developed a deep passsion for the hobby by being actively involved in every aspect of its production. Back then the best was obtainable by many especially if you were willing to "roll up your sleves" . Today many have lost that connection, if they ever had it. We now mostly buy somewhat blindly "off the shelf" in this inefficent market called high-end audio. I guess I'm a bit nostalgic for the old days when it was more about "I made this" than I spent $$$$$ look at me. Like Steve Jobs said "every thing I make will end up in the land fill". Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with the advances in audio and the trickle down that surley occurs. I just can't get excitted when another mega priced product comes to market. In the end as the above quote suggests I have a system that makes me happy and a rich life is just so much more than $$$$$$.

Last edited:
A fellow on Audiogon posted this in reference to endgame speakers;

"Since I am not twenty years younger (I am 61), I would rather spend the time and energy I have left on woodworking projects and travel, rather than amassing lots of gear that will eventually be a burden to my son after I move on.

AND—since I am not going to win the lottery, I am very thankful to have the system I have, which checks all my boxes and puts a smile on my face every time I turn it on."

That spoke to me. I'm not here to judge others but to share my experiences and learn from other all while having fun. I came into this hobby with limited resources at 15 years old buying (money earned mowing lawns) and making Fisher and then Dynaco tube amps. I developed a deep passsion for the hobby by being actively involved in every aspect of its production. Back then the best was obtainable by many especially if you were willing to "roll up your sleves" . Today many have lost that connection, if they ever had it. We now mostly buy somewhat blindly "off the shelf" in this inefficent market called high-end audio. I gues I'm a bit nostalgic for the old days when it was more about "I made this" than I spent $$$$$ look at me. Like Steve Jobs said "every thing I make will end up in the land fill". Don't get me wrong I'm thrilled with the advances in audio and the trickle down that surley occurs. I just can't get excitted when another mega priced product comes to market. In the end as the above quote suggests I have a system that makes me happy and a rich life is just so much more than $$$$$$.
yes, you are exactly judging others.

while i respect the DIY culture and mentality, not all of us have the desire or mentality to understand or build stuff, let alone electronics. and to infer that somehow this is a higher more pure or finer way to listen to music is to degrade other's efforts. when i was 15 (actually started at 11) i worked and bought myself a Wollensak reel to reel tape deck. i loved that thing. this has continued my whole life. i work, and then i buy stuff.

should i feel less satisfied with my system since i did not build any of the gear? i did work 6 days a week for 50 years to allow me to enjoy my life and my hobby.

honestly i wish i was smarter, and that the inner workings of electronics came to me more easily. i admire those that can do those things. we all travel down our own path.

i agree that listening to stuff you build is cool. but it's not lowering the satisfaction, or the rightness, of those who can't or are not called to build stuff.

i do respect mega buck gear does cause one to reflect in various ways. maybe somehow i misunderstood your point?

just my 2 cents. YMMV.

Last edited:
should i feel less satisfied with my system since i did not build any of the gear?
But you did. While you have the ultra highend end you "built" the system yourself. Every aspect I'm guessing you have tweeted and enhanced over the years. You engaged in what appears to me in a super human manor. You're probably right that I am judging or perhaps better said philosophically reacting to the "trophy" buying of equipment that some manufacturers and dealers target.

the "trophy" buying of equipment that some manufacturers and dealers target.

Manufacturers always wanna built better products in their top lines as well as their lower lines.
(More Bang for buck ) if they wouldn t they wouldnt stay in business

Sounds like sour complaining what you do , first of all a manufacturer can built whatever he wants he doesnt have to ask anybody ( on a audioforum )
Whether he is succesfull and sells the stuff is another story , its ultimately the market place what decides .

Those products cost a lot of money to make , be thankfull at least some are trying to built something special, (audioshows would be quit boring otherwise )

Last edited:
But you did. While you have the ultra highend end you "built" the system yourself. Every aspect I'm guessing you have tweeted and enhanced over the years. You engaged in what appears to me in a super human manor. You're probably right that I am judging or perhaps better said philosophically reacting to the "trophy" buying of equipment that some manufacturers and dealers target.
thanks.

i agree that check book system building plunking down spendy baubles without a great deal of care can be viewed as lacking any sort of personal commitment. and you said it.......it's the passion and commitment, and not the dollars, that is what the hobby is about. and that passion can be fully present with the most expensive gear. those products are not evidence of something dark. even though it might raise hackles from some.

Reactions: ScottK
I wonder how many M9s were sold worldwide
And how many M7's will be sold
Not a lot of people can afford this level of audio

let's hope that those who buy these nice speakers at least appreciate them :)

Reactions: AudioGod

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing