Magico M9

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
All things equal, I believe I am correct (not sure what you mean by the Wilson example).
I was responding to the fact that you stated : the lower you go( bigger woofers) the less efficient the speaker becomes .
It all depends how everything is wired in the X over

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
:cool:;)

Lets talk about the M 9 s again, may be Howie can make a longer vid this time

Maybe something orchestral. Or some thundering solo piano piece. I want to hear some dynamics.

Oh, those don't come through on an iPhone/YouTube video. Never mind ;).

Reactions: andromedaaudio

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
If i wanna think bad about the whole issue , it seems almost wilson / magico made a deal with large solid state / amp manufacturers ;)

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
Thanks for this video Howie, unfortunately the same issues we discussed when I was there continue to plague the system. I hear what @Al M. does and some more.
Our systems are a source of pride and joy. We invite people in to listen to them and hope they will have something good to say (and if not, say nothing). I find negative remarks, on systems we visited somewhat distasteful. The guy who owned the system invited you in; I am sure the last thing he hoped is for you to trash his pride and joy online. Just poor manners, IMHO.

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
No thats not my expirience .
2 ways are the hardest .
Its almost impossible to design a high eff easy to drive 2 way speaker
I can see where david is coming from .
But alon wolf has made different choices
I am surprised by the choice of active crossover in the signal path of the high/mid section that is already using a passive crossover. I have personally never heard a active analog crossover transparent enough. :oops:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
If i wanna think bad about the whole issue , it seems almost wilson / magico made a deal with large solid state / amp manufacturers ;)
It's NOT the case for the M9s. I personally sent the full Pilium system out to Magico that Alon is currently using in the factory showroom to drive the M9s. No deal was made, I paid for them and then sent them to Alon for him to listen to them.

There is also a full Pilium system on order from the Rhapsody Dallas RLR to drive the Dallas M9s that will be installed in Q1'22.

Then I have will drive my M9s with my existing Pilium Alexander preamp and the Achilles stereo amp, by just ordering one more Achilles amp. Actually I will sell my demo Achilles and replace it with two Achilles stereo amps so they are matched with respect to the output transistors coming from the exact production run.

Magico has made no deals with Pilium although Pilium will soon be driving M9 systems in Hayward, Dallas and Brooklyn.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Our systems are a source of pride and joy. We invite people in to listen to them and hope they will have something good to say (and if not, say nothing). I find negative remarks, on systems we visited somewhat distasteful. The guy who owned the system invited you in; I am sure the last thing he hoped is for you to trash his pride and joy online. Just poor manners, IMHO.
It's a random video posted by a member for evaluation not mine. Everything was shared with the owner and not everyone is sensitive to criticism Henry some actually invite it and benefit from it. Blowing smoke up you know what never helped anyone and I find it dishonest. My comment about the room was to help clarify that one isn't hearing the speaker rather mostly the effects of the room, if you find that distasteful so be it.

david

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
It's NOT the case for the M9s. I personally sent the full Pilium system out to Magico that Alon is currently using in the factory showroom to drive the M9s. No deal was made, I paid for them and then sent them to Alon for him to listen to them.

There is also a full Pilium system on order from the Rhapsody Dallas RLR to drive the Dallas M9s that will be installed in Q1'22.

Then I have will driver my M9s with my existing Pilium Alexander preamp and the Achilles stereo amp, by just ordering one more Achilles amp.

Magico has made no deals with Pilium although Pilium will soon be driving M9 systems in Hayward, Dallas and Brooklyn.

My remark was merely a general remark in the context of Magico and Wilson designing hard to drive speakers may be intentionally to help big power SS manufacturers sell their amps better :)

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I am surprised by the choice of active crossover in the signal path of the high/mid section that is already using a passive crossover. I have personally never heard a active analog crossover transparent enough. :oops:
That’s not how it works. It’s a 2 -way active setup. The low/high pass are actively crossed. There are no passive parts in front of the bass and the midbass high pass.

Last edited:

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
Sure , i don t doubt that

My remark was merely a general remark in the context of Magico and wilson designing hard to drive speaker intentionally to help big power SS manufacturers sell their amps better :)
I know it's not the case with Magico. Can't speak for Wilson. The M9 are Alon's masterpiece imho. The MXO is a central part of the M9, along with the drivers, the CF inner and outer skins. For sure it has driving requirements, but two stereo amps are not so crazy of a requirement again imho.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I'm talking to several potential buyers of M9s. A few of them love the four mono configuration, BUT they have the space (large rooms) and love the look of the four monos.

I have other conversations with potential M9 owners that LOVE, including myself for my room which is not large, that love the idea of being able to have one stereo amp per M9 side.

We are showing the four Pilium Hercules mono amps in Hayward, the small Achilles (only 270lbs each) amps in Brooklyn and a a special set up for Dallas that is in between the Hayward and Brooklyn sites.

The Pilium gear on Magico or any speaker is more liquid than you might imagine without hearing it, including riveting dynamics and great resolution. '22 is going to be a fun year....stay tuned.

Reactions: CKKeung

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
That’s not how it works. It’s a 2 -way active setup. The low/high pass are actively crossed. There are no passive parts in front of the bass and the midbass high pass.
I presume the high/mid/mid -bass section of the speaker has passive crossover components, the sub- bass section is fully active. Unless the high/mid/ mid- bass output cables from the crossover are just pass-trough the signal will go trough the active crossover.

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
I presume the high/mid/mid -bass section of the speaker has passive crossover components, the sub- bass section is fully active. Unless the high/mid/ mid- bass output cables from the crossover are just pass-trough the signal will go trough the active crossover.
Just think of it as a passive 3-way plus a passive sub, with an active low/high pass XO between the two amps driving them.

Reactions: Lagonda

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Just think of it as a passive 3-way plus a passive sub, with an active low/high pass XO between the two amps driving them.

For all clarity an active speaker is generally speaking a speaker with a built in amplifier .

An " active " X over has only passive components , it has no active amplification .
Active X over in this case means adjustable X over.

Last edited:
Reactions: ddk

cannata

Jan 30, 2014
Italy
For all clarity an active speaker is a speaker with built in amplifier .

An " active " X over has only passive components , it has no active amplification .
Active in this case means adjustable X over
Man, you manage to confuse me as well, are we going to argue the meaning of an active XO??

An active crossover contains active components in its filters, such as transistors and operational amplifiers.[1][2][7] In recent years, the most commonly used active device is an operational amplifier. In contrast to passive crossovers, which operate after the power amplifier's output at high current and in some cases high voltage, active crossovers are operated at levels that are suited to power amplifier inputs. On the other hand, all circuits with gain introduce noise, and such noise has a deleterious effect when introduced prior to the signal being amplified by the power amplifiers.

Active crossovers always require the use of power amplifiers for each output band. Thus a 2-way active crossover needs two amplifiers—one for the woofer and one for the tweeter....

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Man, you manage to confuse me as well, are we going to argue the meaning of an active XO??
Its a somewhat confusing name it would be easier if they would state " adjustable passive X over "

We have gone trough all the pro s cons of this in the Wilson Wamm thread

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
Well i think rhapsody / Bob made clear the MXO boxes have NO amplification in them .
No, but they are actively changing the line level signal before amplification, hence "Active" crossover! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing