Magnepans 1.6 no sound

waterlelies

Apr 25, 2024
Nieuwveen Netherlands
I have these Magnepans already several years in use, without problems.
Recently my JVC AX-Z711 has been revised and nog the Magnepans do not work anymore.
Nothing has changed to them. Fusies are ok.
Also with a Luxman700 they do not work. An other pair of speakers (B&W), work very
well with both the JVC and the Luxman.
What could be the reason?
Regards.

Double check the cables and all connections with the integrated amp turned off. If you have an ohm meter, or know someone who does, you can see if an internal connection is broken inside the Maggies. It is strange that both speakers would have died at the same time, however, making me wonder if something else happened that might have damaged them? What exactly was revised in the JVC? Could something else have happened while the speakers were connected and amp on? Any loud pops or sounds? How loudly do you play them?

Double check the cables and all connections with the integrated amp turned off. If you have an ohm meter, or know someone who does, you can see if an internal connection is broken inside the Maggies. It is strange that both speakers would have died at the same time, however, making me wonder if something else happened that might have damaged them? What exactly was revised in the JVC? Could something else have happened while the speakers were connected and amp on? Any loud pops or sounds? How loudly do you play them?
The JVC got a new trafo as it did not start up, und the pre-amplifier has been checked, and the biass has been adjusted.
Another set of speakers (B&W) works well with he JVC along the same cables.
I also installed my old Luxman, with which the Maggies do not respond either.

Together with a friend , a technician, we have unmantled one of the Maggies.
Contacts were corroded and the aluminium strips of the alustrips did not react.
I have sent foto’s of the situation to the Dutch importer, who concluded that the speaker was impossible to repair.
Altough we did not check the other speaker, we assumed, that that has the same problem.
It looks like the end of my speakers, which accompagnied me for very many years!

• Sad
Reactions: DonH50
Together with a friend , a technician, we have unmantled one of the Maggies.
Contacts were corroded and the aluminium strips of the alustrips did not react.
I have sent foto’s of the situation to the Dutch importer, who concluded that the speaker was impossible to repair.
Altough we did not check the other speaker, we assumed, that that has the same problem.
It looks like the end of my speakers, which accompagnied me for very many years!
Magnepan will generally rebuild speakers for fairly modest cost. Shipping may be expensive if you are overseas, however. But I would contact Magnepan and see what they say.

Did you defeat rue Doses? That is the only problem I ever had. Be honest, we don't judge. Make sure they are not blown.

Did you defeat rue Doses? That is the only problem I ever had. Be honest, we don't judge. Make sure they are not blown.
Check the fuses? He said he did that in his first post.

Over time the foil traces tend to degrade and eventually open, my guess is that's what happened here. Though back when I was repairing them I did find bad solder joints inside at times.

Yeah Don I saw rhat. I would replace rem anyway. Wrapping the fuses in tin foil was a popular tweak. You could blow rue tweeters.
My MD1 was purchased in the late '70's. They have been on loan to non-audiophiles. They still work. If grandpa still working so, should they.
Cold solder in both speakers?

may I ask how connectors ar made from alum to copper or lugs used ?
I say this as my IRS have about 100 drivers alum trace
they used a Rivet also some solder on rivets
one could try to mash the rivets or heat the joint up
I did this on a few tweeters over the years
I own a pair of Maggie’s 3.6r
so far all is ok

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing