David Karmeli’s Bionor/Lamm/AS-2000 Audio System

Audiohertz2

Jun 8, 2023
Electrical phase and physical alignment. If the electrical phase is correct then you adjust the driver distances such that the impulse of each driver reaches the ear at the same time. A step response tells the whole story of what is and what is not time coherent.

Its can only be time coherent physically in the Nearfield at a specific predetermine distance , itscwhy so many are not affected by poor step responses , electrical its different and may not be noticeable too, eg when a tweeter has reverse phase, very few can hear this , also if drivers are ran in reverse phase to compensate acoustically then you have to examine its acoustic properties / phase rotation.

Transfer function is a big part but like everything its the complete package making the difference and not all are sensitive to it , hence why so many ridiculous designs :)

Regards

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London

morricab

Apr 25, 2014
Switzerland
Its can only be time coherent physically in the Nearfield at a specific predetermine distance , itscwhy so many are not affected by poor step responses , electrical its different and may not be noticeable too, eg when a tweeter has reverse phase, very few can hear this , also if drivers are ran in reverse phase to compensate acoustically then you have to examine its acoustic properties / phase rotation.

Transfer function is a big part but like everything its the complete package making the difference and not all are sensitive to it , hence why so many ridiculous designs :)

Regards
You can’t have a correct step response unless your electrically in phase (and minimal group delay) and correct physical distance of the drivers to the listener. Invert the tweeter or the mid (in a three-way 2nd order filter on the mid) and this will distort the step response. Group delay you will see the drivers contributions separately rather than a sharp right triangle. As to audibility, one of the things that bothers me about Wilson’s is that I can hear they have inverted the mid…it affects timbre.
Have you heard the effects of time correction on a non-coherent speaker? It is pretty audible. I am not talking about altering the frequency response, just fixing the impulse response.

I only brought it up because MarcelNl was saying he liked time coherent speakers but then was talking about Bionors, which are almost certainly not time coherent.

You are right that many can’t hear these issues…

DasguteOhr

Sep 26, 2013
Germany
hi what exactly is this? Drivers and the metal brace? How much was the ad quoting it for
All drivers , xover and the holder for horn. All what you need to do is to made baffle for the bionor.
You can find construction plans for it on the internet. A fixed price was not mentioned, I guess the highest bidder got it.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing