Mahler 8 Alternatives

kimjboland

Feb 21, 2021
Hi,
I really enjoy Mahlers 8. I am looking around at new composers (for me).
Is there something similar to Maher 8 that would be good to listen to?
thanks

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Mahler's Eighth is quite an unusual symphony, particularly with the massive choral and vocal parts. Mahler has several symphonies with singing in at least one of the movements. Mahler's Symphony 2 is probably the closest to the Eighth. I would also recommend Verdi's Requiem and Brahms German Requiem to explore (neither are traditional religious requiems). Of course, Beethoven started this very large form symphony with chorus and voices with his great 9th symphony. Related thematically, with soloists and chorus is Berlioz Damnation of Faust, also a very large scale work.

Larry

Reactions: tima

hb22

May 25, 2018
Mahler is unique, nothing and newer will be like him !
Far away from him, however, perhaps Tchaikovsky In a more drunken atmosphere :)

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I've learned to love Mahler, I start playing his symphonies frequently over the last two years. I just recently played the Reiner/Chicago Symphony Mahler 4th symphony LP from Acoustic Sounds:
Fritz Reiner-Mahler Symphony No 4 Lisa Della Casa-200 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Oh boy, that's beautiful! If I see a similar Reiner analog recording for the 8th I will post it here. I also have the Otto Klemperer and Leonard Bernstein Mahler collections, and they are wonderful. The Klemperer set does not have the 8th symphony however.

I think Mahler broke the mold on orchestral/choral music. As someone mentioned above you must listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony, which was controversial and revolutionary in its time. But the most similar music to the 8th would be Mahler's 4th, and several of his other symphonies. He was a serial choral composer, and you should listen to all his works.

Perhaps Mozart's Requiem as well?

Last edited:

Hear Here

Feb 14, 2020
Portsmouth, UK
Hi,
thanks
What is it you particularly like about Mahler's 8th? Is it the choral content where several others have offered suggestions of what else you may like, or is it the revolutionary (at the time) style of Mahler's music? If the latter, I'm surprised Bruckner hasn't been mentioned. Some of his many symphonies are an esy and enjoyable listen, other more difficult - to me anyway.

Last edited:

MadFloyd

Member Sponsor
May 30, 2010
Mass
I've learned to love Mahler, I start playing his symphonies frequently over the last two years. I just recently played the Reiner/Chicago Symphony Mahler 4th symphony LP from Acoustic Sounds:
Fritz Reiner-Mahler Symphony No 4 Lisa Della Casa-200 Gram Vinyl Record|Acoustic Sounds

Oh boy, that's beautiful! If I see a similar Reiner analog recording for the 8th I will post it here. I also have the Otto Klemperer and Leonard Bernstein Mahler collections, and they are wonderful. The Klemperer set does not have the 8th symphony however.

I think Mahler broke the mold on orchestral/choral music. As someone mentioned above you must listen to Beethoven's 9th symphony, which was controversial and revolutionary in its time. But the most similar music to the 8th would be Mahler's 4th, and several of his other symphonies. He was a serial choral composer, and you should listen to all his works.

Perhaps Mozart's Requiem as well?
I also love this LP. The recording quality varies throughout (where typically for this era the louder passages distort) but it's mostly very very enjoyable. I love the composition as well and I've been having fun comparing the 4th movement (which features a beautiful soprano vocal) with other renditions. I particularly like the performance of Anna Lucia Richter on this 2020 recording:

you can sample the 4th movement via Amazon's MP3:

One of my gripes with Mahler is that his compositions are too lengthy. To me they are like a wonderful but overlong movie that needs editing. :)

audioguy1958

Feb 8, 2015
I also love this LP. The recording quality varies throughout (where typically for this era the louder passages distort) but it's mostly very very enjoyable. I love the composition as well and I've been having fun comparing the 4th movement (which features a beautiful soprano vocal) with other renditions. I particularly like the performance of Anna Lucia Richter on this 2020 recording:

you can sample the 4th movement via Amazon's MP3:

One of my gripes with Mahler is that his compositions are too lengthy. To me they are like a wonderful but overlong movie that needs editing. :)
I don't remember hearing distortion on my copy of Reiner/Mahler 4th but I will listen again.

Perhaps the OP should listen to a few titles from Opera. Mahler was blending symphonic and operatic forms together.

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com
Hi,
thanks
The Prelude in Heaven that opens Boito's Mephistofele: "A heavenly chorus of angels praises God the Creator. Mefistofele scornfully declares that he can win the soul of Faust. His challenge is accepted by the Forces of Good."

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing