Mark Levinson 33H

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
It’s a been while since I posted about a compare of the Krell 700cx and the now completely done no 33.
the ML no 26 is a fine preamp but was a bad choice on the 700cx combo I don’t know why but clearly is. the Ktc takes a bit to understand. it maybe first perceived as darker. it takes me some time to adjust to new surroundings.
the KTC is completely re habbed many caps and some very difficulties in doing so.
it is a little brighter but to me a lower perceived noise floor.
the attack with KTC both no 33 and the 700cx is much more powerful yet stays musical. some like smooth I like music and music is not always smooth. it’s not rough but to me needs micro dynamics that smooth glosses over.
the no 33 out class the 700cx in that the krell has an attack but the no 33 seemed
To have no ceiling on an attack yet control
The attack better. I was warned my thoughts f the 700cx as better in simple
Terms was wrong. Yes I liked it better but once was competed the no 33 it’s obvious.
now my IRS V are massive and the 700cx made them have a more powerful sound.
but the no 33 / KTC is heaven.
it’s a lot of work to make new old large audio products. and I have no desire for new even if I’m sure some are better.
but what do have is legacy made audio designed and made at the then place panicle of audio.
Have you tried different preamps with your no 33 amps, maybe the 32 ? My experience with owning both KTC and its sibling Kps25scx and FPB 700cx many years, is that they are very dynamic, and will really impress in the deeper bass, but lack both tone and detail. I had them running with both cast cables and xlr, cast is a little faster. In general the 700cx is a little slow and dark, with emphasis on deep impressive bass. All my Krell gear had been re-capped, but the general tone and speed did not change. It took only a couple of minutes with a single MBL 9011 running in stereo mode, only 2x130 W to realize how much faster and more extended in the treble a more modern amp is. o_O

Last edited:

retired farmer

Oct 18, 2022
It’s a been while since I posted about a compare of the Krell 700cx and the now completely done no 33.
the ML no 26 is a fine preamp but was a bad choice on the 700cx combo I don’t know why but clearly is. the Ktc takes a bit to understand. it maybe first perceived as darker. it takes me some time to adjust to new surroundings.
the KTC is completely re habbed many caps and some very difficulties in doing so.
it is a little brighter but to me a lower perceived noise floor.
the attack with KTC both no 33 and the 700cx is much more powerful yet stays musical. some like smooth I like music and music is not always smooth. it’s not rough but to me needs micro dynamics that smooth glosses over.
the no 33 out class the 700cx in that the krell has an attack but the no 33 seemed
To have no ceiling on an attack yet control
The attack better. I was warned my thoughts f the 700cx as better in simple
Terms was wrong. Yes I liked it better but once was competed the no 33 it’s obvious.
now my IRS V are massive and the 700cx made them have a more powerful sound.
but the no 33 / KTC is heaven.
it’s a lot of work to make new old large audio products. and I have no desire for new even if I’m sure some are better.
but what do have is legacy made audio designed and made at the then place panicle of audio.
I ended up with a Ayre k1xe as my preamplifier with the 33h s I have. I pit a tube front end. A tube tuner, tube dac, and tube phono stage. I liked the beauty that the front end seemed to add or wasn't missing. Never played with the big krells. So no way to compare I did hear a de austino setup that was a level beyond mine.

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
I’ve only had a few good preamps per say
And each was different.
move had 7 amps
and speed I think is in part the tone a given combo sounds
As an example pass labs is warm of neutral yet if it’s in a setup environment it varies
I’ve had two Krell’s one KSA the mono blocks that had a psu on the bottom
PSU. row aragons and two gryphons
and the NO 33. each had a sound but only the 700cx and the NO 33 made them move as I liked it.
I think pre amps matter plenty but they also need to be heard not just reviewed

Reactions: Lagonda

Lagonda

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2014
Denmark
I’ve only had a few good preamps per say
And each was different.
move had 7 amps
and speed I think is in part the tone a given combo sounds
As an example pass labs is warm of neutral yet if it’s in a setup environment it varies
I’ve had two Krell’s one KSA the mono blocks that had a psu on the bottom
PSU. row aragons and two gryphons
and the NO 33. each had a sound but only the 700cx and the NO 33 made them move as I liked it.
I think pre amps matter plenty but they also need to be heard not just reviewed
Yes, to understand equipment in the context of your own system, it is best to own it and go back to previous for baseline after a while, sometimes something sound exiting in the beginning but becomes tiring after a while. Longtime exposure will get you the best impression of the synergy. I have bought and used quite a few preamps both tube and SS, and ended up back with a very old SS pre i bought new 35 years ago. o_O

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing