Marten Mingus Quintet 2 speakers

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Got to strongly disagree with that sentiment. Parker’s and Oscar’s are excellent sounding speakers.
I own Coltrane momento 2 statement as well as some Oscar’s and have heard Parker’s. These newer series are just fantastic. Very quiet boxes - u can’t hear them. Amazing tonality - much better than older series. Very musical.
Thank you. I want to hear them prior to buying them (Parker Quintet 2 and Bird 2). The first speaker on the list and least expensive is the new Aequo Adamantis. They will be available in April locally.

Which Parker were you referring to as there are the Duo, Trio and Quintet 1 and 2?
The Oscar is not in the same category as a large floorstander with deep bass.
The Coltrane memento 2 statement is not even close to comparable in size, cost and probably performance at $575,000. I would never own either. I'd rather own the Von Schweikert Ultra 7.
I've heard various Marten speakers over the past decade and the Django XL and L were my favorites. Some of the larger ones did not sound appealing.

Last edited:

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I have to say I LOVE my Mingus. If I ever was to switch, I would go to Tidal, which are about the same really :)

Vinylleroy

Jul 8, 2022
Sometimes @kimurastanley, it is difficult to put in words .

The simple version is that I bought the CR1 a few years ago, because I just casually and unknowingly walked into a listening room where the CR1’s were on demo. All my “neural sensors” where telling me “wow, what is this?” And I bought them.

Once in my unusual shaped listening room, it took me a reasonable amount of time to get things right. Today, all sounds good and the CR1 are completely out of the way when listening music.

As said, the MQ2 are fantastic speakers and was really impressed by them, and might have pulled the trigger if I didn’t remember what I wrote above.

not sure though if this helps you

Hi RdW,

Just out of curiousity: The TAD speakers look great and I believe they sound brilliant as well. How is the bottom end sound of these speakers, given the fact that they are on stand mounts? Still full range sound?

Kind regards,

Leroy

3125simon

Apr 26, 2020
Uk
I
I have to say I LOVE my Mingus. If I ever was to switch, I would go to Tidal, which are about the same really :)
interesting that you compare Tidal and Marten as being essentially the same..
That’s not my experience.
Both are very very good, I have tidal piano g2 and found them superior to equivalent martens even at a higher price.
I recently compared Contriva to Coltrane Tenor and the Contriva was better - just a bit too big for my room.
which models are you comparing?

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Tastes and experiences separates us as always, but...
at the time just before I got my MQs, I tested a number of speakers.
including Piano G2.
Then I also had another amplifier - to be mentioned - Aavik U-300.
All parts count, but I thought there was a bit of a difference between G2 and MQ.
The MQ played with more weight and body and was not quite as "high-resolution" in the treble as the G2.
Missed a bit of deep bass in G2 so I decided in favor of Marten MQ.

TidalDSC_5082_10226_003608.JPG

SöndagsmysDSC_4773_9945_003551.JPG

SöndagsmysDSC_4774_9946_003552.JPG

Did I look back ? ... yes.
The Tidal Piano G2 is a very nice speaker and if I could afford it I would have bought these as well ;)

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Of course I have only two ears and my own weird brain. I also prefer Marten ever so slightly in my price bracket. That said, the big, flagship Tidals are the best speaker I have ever heard. What I meant was that in the world of speakers, marten and Tidal are very, very similar and share more similarities than differences. They are, after all, using much the same drivers and cabinet materials. They differ as well, of course. But they share the same DNA, like cousins maybe :)

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
The Tidal Akira is the best "livable" loudspeaker I have heard. The diamond midrange is outer worldly in terms of you-are-there realism.

I recently listened to Parker Trio's with the diamond tweeter with Gryphon integrated at the DC show and they were superb. I then visited the Tidal Audio room featuring the Piano powered by Vinny Rossi separates situated in a considerably larger room. Bass was not thunderous but the sound had a clarity and ease to it that was beguiling. In the $40-60k range I would gladly own either speaker if one is looking for a best-in-breed 2.5 way compact floorstander.

As someone mentioned earlier in the thread, AEquo Audio will be introducing its long awaited Adamantis 3-way later in 2023 (We are estimating Q3). While I have not yet heard the Adamantis, based upon our experience with the Stilla I expect this new speaker to rival the above speakers and be worthy of consideration. Hear This is the AEquo Audio US importer. See more information on the forthcoming Adamantis below.

Nils

Dec 16, 2021
Northern Sweden
I have upgraded from Marten Parker Trio Diamonds to Mingus Quintet 2 Statement Edition (in walnut).

I received 100% of my purchase price for MPT as trade-in price from Marten.

Before pulling the trigger I visited Marten in Gothenburg and chatted with Leif (designer).

My observations vs MPT:
- Midrange is magic (2,5 vs 3-way topology)
- Bass is deeper, faster and cleaner (agan the topology, three // higher quality elements -> lower distortion)
- Overall a much more refined signature (according to Leif - a nice price/performance point in Marten's portfolio)

In my room I have adjusted the toe-in a lot - the MQ2:s have much less toe-in than the MPT:s used to have

VERY satisfied with SQ

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Just come back your thread today and now I can see you need more power mate with exact Mono SM 103 as my suggestion. :)
Yes, thank you @gentcan.
I wanted to use my MSB Reference DAC's constant impedance preamp module to drive a power amplifier directly. I waited a bit and saw a chance to get the new SM-103 MK.II monoblocks which are a natural upgrade to the SIA-030 integrated amplifier. So far, it has been sounding fantastic!
20230301_174835.jpg

Reactions: ICUToo and gentcan

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Yes, thank you @gentcan.
I wanted to use my MSB Reference DAC's constant impedance preamp module to drive a power amplifier directly. I waited a bit and saw a chance to get the new SM-103 MK.II monoblocks which are a natural upgrade to the SIA-030 integrated amplifier. So far, it has been sounding fantastic!
View attachment 110501
What is your top finish? Oak? Before Mingus 2, did you own other Marten? I used to have Bird2 drove by Vitus R100. Thanks for sharing mate.

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
What is your top finish? Oak? Before Mingus 2, did you own other Marten? I used to have Bird2 drove by Vitus R100. Thanks for sharing mate.
@gentcan , the top and bottom is walnut wood. I own the Sonus Faber Stradivari speakers before. May i ask what system do you have now?

Reactions: gentcan

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Walnut looks fabulous mate. I also considered SM103 mk2 last year but then I chose Audia Flight 8 instead. I have Magico Q3 used, Audionet Stern preamp, CH Precision C1.2, Antipodes Oladra server.

Reactions: Easy Gliders

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Hi mate. How your MQ2 vs Twenty as you said in previous post but I couldn’t find the comparison. Thanks
Sorry, I have not been to my friend's place to listen to the Mingus Twenty yet. Will do that one day. But maybe difficult to compare due to different system setup.
But some friends said that the MQ2 is better than the Twenty.

Reactions: gentcan

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
Sorry, I have not been to my friend's place to listen to the Mingus Twenty yet. Will do that one day. But maybe difficult to compare due to different system setup.
But some friends said that the MQ2 is better than the Twenty.
Yeah it must be better because of newer and more expensive. Thanks

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing