Marten Mingus Quintet 2 speakers

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Easy Glider. I am looking for a reference speaker to showcase our electronics and cables from Westminster Labs. In a smallish room, I recently heard the Mingus Quintets at the US importers under less than ideal circumstances. The speakers were perhaps 18" from the rear wall and produced a good sound, but hardly up to what I felt they were capable of. In my room, I could create perhaps 30" from the rear wall and would be listening in the nearfield, perhaps 7-8 feet away. I notice the reference to a bass level control which would be a real asset in terms of spectral balance. Since it will cost approximately $1000 each way to get them there, I wondered what you thought about my achieving success with the above listening room parameters. FYI the room has a nice blend of soft and hard surfaces, and if I get the bass right delivers good results. Then, there is always the Coltrane Tenor 2, which I understand is less sensitive to room placement for more $$$?
As I understand it. the Mingus are designed for this, as someone said. my situation is similar to you and all sounds incredible. I even have the awkward ” no wall” on the side of the right speaker but only rarely am affected by the issue. Speakers vanish completely.

Reactions: gleeds

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Easy Glider. I am looking for a reference speaker to showcase our electronics and cables from Westminster Labs. In a smallish room, I recently heard the Mingus Quintets at the US importers under less than ideal circumstances. The speakers were perhaps 18" from the rear wall and produced a good sound, but hardly up to what I felt they were capable of. In my room, I could create perhaps 30" from the rear wall and would be listening in the nearfield, perhaps 7-8 feet away. I notice the reference to a bass level control which would be a real asset in terms of spectral balance. Since it will cost approximately $1000 each way to get them there, I wondered what you thought about my achieving success with the above listening room parameters. FYI the room has a nice blend of soft and hard surfaces, and if I get the bass right delivers good results. Then, there is always the Coltrane Tenor 2, which I understand is less sensitive to room placement for more $$$?
In my setup, the Mingus Quintet 2 are about 3.5' from the front wall. My listening area is in the living room and is not of normal rectangular shape. The main area is 18' × 28' with no wall on the left and a 4 panels glass door to the right covered with heavy curtains. There is not a 'real' continuous back wall because there are open areas to the left and right at the back of the listening area. The concrete ceiling is 10' high. So far with the rough positioning of the speakers, the sound is pretty good with a very focused centre image. There are 4 positions on the bass control knob, and I have set it at position #2. I tried the bass level at position #3 and that gave a stronger low bass without being boomy. My friend commented that my room sounded very open and effortless! Positioning the speakers further out from the front wall may increase the depth and layering of the soundstage - I still have to try that.
I would recommend that you audition the Mingus Quintet 2 in your room. And in terms of bass control, I think it would not be a problem.

Reactions: gleeds

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
To the comparison @kimurastanley described, the latest CR1-TX, versus an “older” Mingus Twenty is interesting, but the Quintet 2 must outperform the Twenty. Otherwise, what’s the point of bringing this “successor” of both the Quintet 1 and Twenty to the market.
But the same counts for my CR-MK2-K version, the CR1-TX must outperform that one.

Really interested how the Mingus and Quintet 2 compare. That will put things in perspective. Hope you wil post your findings @Easy Gliders !
The Mingus Twenty was the 20th Anniversary edition of the Mingus Quintet 1 with Jorma Statement internal cables and better parts for the crossover, plus a solid wood top. My Mingus Quintet 2 has the optional Statement Edition with Jorma Statement internal cables and supposedly better components in the crossover.
Before I received my Mingus Quintet 2, I listened to the Mingus Twenty setup at my friend's place and they can really play very loud and dynamic with the Vitus MP-S201 stereo power amplifier. The room is only about 13' wide, but very long. I would have to listen to the Mingus Twenty again in order to make a comparison with the Mingus Quintet 2. But again the comparison will be very difficult because of the difference electronics and listening rooms! I will report back after the comparison. Cheers.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I think the Mingus are made for rooms like ours: living rooms, weird in shape. I am long wall as well. A bit of treatment, but not too much. Still sounds epic. Lost in music everyday. I like wood, so for me the Mingus 1 is better looking, but YMMV of course. I have perfect center imagiing, deep bass (had to turn to -1) and just the right sweetness in midrange

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
The Mingus Twenty was the 20th Anniversary edition of the Mingus Quintet 1 with Jorma Statement internal cables and better parts for the crossover, plus a solid wood top. My Mingus Quintet 2 has the optional Statement Edition with Jorma Statement internal cables and supposedly better components in the crossover.
Before I received my Mingus Quintet 2, I listened to the Mingus Twenty setup at my friend's place and they can really play very loud and dynamic with the Vitus MP-S201 stereo power amplifier. The room is only about 13' wide, but very long. I would have to listen to the Mingus Twenty again in order to make a comparison with the Mingus Quintet 2. But again the comparison will be very difficult because of the difference electronics and listening rooms! I will report back after the comparison. Cheers.
Thanks!

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Had a great time to listen to the MQ2 and really did enjoy it. The are stunning LS’, but at the end, to my ears and in my difficult listening room, in still prefer my TAD CR1’s. Although in a larger listening room, I would have no doubts to place the Marten Mingus Orchestra in the room

Reactions: bazelio

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Had a great time to listen to the MQ2 and really did enjoy it. The are stunning LS’, but at the end, to my ears and in my difficult listening room, in still prefer my TAD CR1’s. Although in a larger listening room, I would have no doubts to place the Marten Mingus Orchestra in the room
Would you able to share what attributes made you prefer CR1?

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Would you able to share what attributes made you prefer CR1?
Sometimes @kimurastanley, it is difficult to put in words .

The simple version is that I bought the CR1 a few years ago, because I just casually and unknowingly walked into a listening room where the CR1’s were on demo. All my “neural sensors” where telling me “wow, what is this?” And I bought them.

Once in my unusual shaped listening room, it took me a reasonable amount of time to get things right. Today, all sounds good and the CR1 are completely out of the way when listening music.

As said, the MQ2 are fantastic speakers and was really impressed by them, and might have pulled the trigger if I didn’t remember what I wrote above.

not sure though if this helps you

gentcan

Jun 15, 2022
At the moment I have the Aesthetix Janus paired with a Gryphon Antileon Signature.

View attachment 96005

I'm about to rebuild the bench and hopefully it will end up with a better location for the amplifier.
Hopefully I will also gain some better space to adjust the placement of the speakers.
Beautiful system mate!

Reactions: P-pan

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
My current setup is not complete yet. Still fine tuning the speakers position and positions of the three Stillpoints Apertures on the front wall.
20220822_121552.jpg

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
There’s a pair of Vitus mono SM 103 on sale StereoNet in case you need more power
Thanks. I don't think I need more power though.

Reactions: gentcan

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Update: Stillpoints Apertures acoustics panels are now at the final positions on the front wall.

Attachments

• 20220829_144511.jpg
    20220829_144511.jpg
    820.1 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: P-pan and gleeds

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
For me, the Mingus are the sweet spot in the whole range. The parker diamond are great too, and the additional backfiring drivers add soundstage. But he Mingus is more refined. They are perfect for my room size and so gorgeous.
There is a huge difference between the two, efficiency. The Parker Quintet 2 Diamond is stated as 93 db efficient. It will play well with moderate power amps whereas the Mingus apparently requires big/huge power amps only and maybe less than the stated 88db efficiency. The stated impedance is slightly more benign though. I am NOT considering the Mingus after this information. Thank you.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
An industry source close to Marten confirmed early efforts at the 1st order filter were a step back sonically. I am not sure about the Mingus series, however I recently listened to the Parker Diamond Trio at the Capital Audio Fest powered by a Gryphon integrated and they were in my estimation the SQ was one of the three "best of show". My sense is, at least for the "Parker" series problem solved.

Last edited:

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
I am using a Vitus SIA-030 integrated amplifier (30 W rms Class A and 200 W rms Class AB into 8 Ohms) on the Mingus Quintet 2 in a room of 18' x 30' x 10' high with large open spaces to the left side and right back side. The amplifier didn't run out of power and control even at very high sound levels.
The Vitus SIA-030 is a high current amplifier though.

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
There is a huge difference between the two, efficiency. The Parker Quintet 2 Diamond is stated as 93 db efficient. It will play well with moderate power amps whereas the Mingus apparently requires big/huge power amps only and maybe less than the stated 88db efficiency. The stated impedance is slightly more benign though. I am NOT considering the Mingus after this information. Thank you.
Parkers may be the better choice for you then.

SeagoatLeo

Feb 23, 2015
Parkers may be the better choice for you then.
A former rep for Martens indicated that the Parker was the reason he dropped the line entirely (he owns a Coltrane). He highly recommended the Bird 2 as a superior sounding speaker, much like the heralded Django XL (which I heard twice and liked it). I haven't auditioned the Parker or BIrd 2.

pweg

Jun 7, 2014
Australia
A former rep for Martens indicated that the Parker was the reason he dropped the line entirely (he owns a Coltrane). He highly recommended the Bird 2 as a superior sounding speaker, much like the heralded Django XL (which I heard twice and liked it). I haven't auditioned the Parker or BIrd 2.
Got to strongly disagree with that sentiment. Parker’s and Oscar’s are excellent sounding speakers.
I own Coltrane momento 2 statement as well as some Oscar’s and have heard Parker’s. These newer series are just fantastic. Very quiet boxes - u can’t hear them. Amazing tonality - much better than older series. Very musical.

Reactions: gentcan and P-pan

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing