Marten Mingus Quintet 2 speakers

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I'm a fan of Marten, don't get me wrong. But I'd want to be very sure that move from CR1 to Mingus or Parker is actually an upgrade. I'm not sure it would be.
You are the third one telling me this :) I am indeed not unhappy. Actually very happy.

What triggered me is that I had the chance to listened to Mingus Orchestra. They were very, very good. Jörgen Olofsson was in the room and was referring to the coming (at that time) Mingus 2, stating that for smaller rooms, "you might like the Mingus 2 a lot".

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
Really curious if there is such a huge improvement with the MK2. Did you had a chance to compare them.

I have had a chance to compare MQ1 and MQ2, not side by side though, and I must say it's quite a different.
First of all, the bass behaves similarly between the two, but the MQ2 has a more prominent midrange and treble.
In my opinion this contributes to more dynamics and details but still it gives an overall sound that feels full-bodied and warm.

Difficult with descriptions of sounds and since my mother tongue is not English, it doesn't get any easier :(

Picture of my old Marten Mingus Q1:

Marten M QuintetDSC_5255_10373_003688.JPG

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
I am thinking of replacing my TAD CR1 MK2 with either the Parker Quitet diamond, the Mingus Quintet 2 or still in play, the Zellaton Plural EVO discussed elsewhere on this forum. Depends what is best for my listening room which is not to big (4m x 7m).

@Sampajanna , may I ask, what is the size of your room?
Hi. My room is almost exactly the same as yours. I highly recommend an audtion of Mingus. They are so exquisit.

Reactions: RdW

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
You are the third one telling me this :) I am indeed not unhappy. Actually very happy.

What triggered me is that I had the chance to listened to Mingus Orchestra. They were very, very good. Jörgen Olofsson was in the room and was referring to the coming (at that time) Mingus 2, stating that for smaller rooms, "you might like the Mingus 2 a lot".

You might, yes. But I doubt it's better than the TAD. Intuitively, I'd rather have the TAD. If you can go big like the tower Mingus or larger Coltrane, then OK... I'll support your decision. LOL

Sampajanna

Apr 1, 2021
Havent heard TAD so no comment, but I did audtion a lot of speakers in this and higher price ranges— at home and at familiar dealers and shows. Marten are incredible and real favorites. They are by far the best speakers I have owned. They do so many things right and build quality is superb, so is customer support. Of course system and room synergy all play a part. But Marten has a magic, and for me the Mingus is the sweet spot in the range. the bigger speakers are important in big rooms but much more expensive. If you can afford them, congratulations. I am more than happy for the long term. Music is music here. Speakers completely vanish. They are perfectly clear yet sweet and never harsh or fatiguing, no matter how much clarity you throw at them. The one downside is that the Mingus do need a lot of power. they ar thirsty. If you give them, headroom, though, they sing like nobody‘s business.

Reactions: P-pan

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
I have had a chance to compare MQ1 and MQ2, not side by side though, and I must say it's quite a different.
First of all, the bass behaves similarly between the two, but the MQ2 has a more prominent midrange and treble.
In my opinion this contributes to more dynamics and details but still it gives an overall sound that feels full-bodied and warm.

Difficult with descriptions of sounds and since my mother tongue is not English, it doesn't get any easier :(

Picture of my old Marten Mingus Q1:

View attachment 96015
Thanks of sharing. These were good looking MQ's as well! You have a nice collection of CD's by the way!

And don't worry about English is not you mother tongue. Same here, as many others. Found your English quite good :)

Reactions: ICUToo and P-pan

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
Havent heard TAD so no comment, but I did audtion a lot of speakers in this and higher price ranges— at home and at familiar dealers and shows. Marten are incredible and real favorites. They are by far the best speakers I have owned. They do so many things right and build quality is superb, so is customer support. Of course system and room synergy all play a part. But Marten has a magic, and for me the Mingus is the sweet spot in the range. the bigger speakers are important in big rooms but much more expensive. If you can afford them, congratulations. I am more than happy for the long term. Music is music here. Speakers completely vanish. They are perfectly clear yet sweet and never harsh or fatiguing, no matter how much clarity you throw at them. The one downside is that the Mingus do need a lot of power. they ar thirsty. If you give them, headroom, though, they sing like nobody‘s business.
Jörgen Olofsson would be pleased to read this. LOL

But good to hear that you are so pleased with the MQ's. And thanks for sharing the size of your room. Important to know the MQs vanish if the set-up is right in a similar room size. I will let you know when I have the chance to audition them!

Reactions: Sampajanna

P-pan

Sep 28, 2015
You have a nice collection of CD's by the way!
Thx, yes it's quite easy to fill the shelves... for some kind of strange reason. I probably prefer vinyl a bit better... after all.

Reactions: RdW

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore

i had the chance to listen to TAD CR1TX and marten Mingus twenty in 2 different showrooms. TAD setup consists of full TAD electronics, marten with vitus amplification and MSB DAC/Lumin X1.
Personally I prefer TAD setup for my taste. So I would think that audition is really important before making the switch. Enjoy!

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Vitus and Marten is a great combo. I'm using Emia and DarTZeel with Marten.
Bazello, I'm curious which Marten's do you have?

Easy Gliders

Oct 22, 2021
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
i had the chance to listen to TAD CR1TX and marten Mingus twenty in 2 different showrooms. TAD setup consists of full TAD electronics, marten with vitus amplification and MSB DAC/Lumin X1.
Personally I prefer TAD setup for my taste. So I would think that audition is really important before making the switch. Enjoy!
When I first received my Marten Mingus Quintet 2 about 2 months ago, a couple of friends were helping me to set up the speakers. Fresh out of the boxes and driven by a Vitus RI-101 MK 2 integrated amplifier and MSB Reference DAC/Pro USB-ISL & NUC11 Roon server, my two friends thought the Mingus Quintet 2 sounded better than the Marten Mingus Twenty driven by a full set of Vitus Audio Masterpiece pre/ power amplifiers/DAC/Transport with Lumin U1 at another friend's place where they had listened many times! Of course, the Mingus Quintet 2 were not even positioned properly or broken in when it was just set up!
The friend with the Mingus Twenty will be coming over to my place next month to listen to the Mingus Quintet 2, and let's see what he has to say!

RdW

Apr 8, 2018
Netherlands
When I first received my Marten Mingus Quintet 2 about 2 months ago, a couple of friends were helping me to set up the speakers. Fresh out of the boxes and driven by a Vitus RI-101 MK 2 integrated amplifier and MSB Reference DAC/Pro USB-ISL & NUC11 Roon server, my two friends thought the Mingus Quintet 2 sounded better than the Marten Mingus Twenty driven by a full set of Vitus Audio Masterpiece pre/ power amplifiers/DAC/Transport with Lumin U1 at another friend's place where they had listened many times! Of course, the Mingus Quintet 2 were not even positioned properly or broken in when it was just set up!
The friend with the Mingus Twenty will be coming over to my place next month to listen to the Mingus Quintet 2, and let's see what he has to say!
To the comparison @kimurastanley described, the latest CR1-TX, versus an “older” Mingus Twenty is interesting, but the Quintet 2 must outperform the Twenty. Otherwise, what’s the point of bringing this “successor” of both the Quintet 1 and Twenty to the market.
But the same counts for my CR-MK2-K version, the CR1-TX must outperform that one.

Really interested how the Mingus and Quintet 2 compare. That will put things in perspective. Hope you wil post your findings @Easy Gliders !

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Easy Glider. I am looking for a reference speaker to showcase our electronics and cables from Westminster Labs. In a smallish room, I recently heard the Mingus Quintets at the US importers under less than ideal circumstances. The speakers were perhaps 18" from the rear wall and produced a good sound, but hardly up to what I felt they were capable of. In my room, I could create perhaps 30" from the rear wall and would be listening in the nearfield, perhaps 7-8 feet away. I notice the reference to a bass level control which would be a real asset in terms of spectral balance. Since it will cost approximately $1000 each way to get them there, I wondered what you thought about my achieving success with the above listening room parameters. FYI the room has a nice blend of soft and hard surfaces, and if I get the bass right delivers good results. Then, there is always the Coltrane Tenor 2, which I understand is less sensitive to room placement for more $$$?

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Easy Glider. I am looking for a reference speaker to showcase our electronics and cables from Westminster Labs. In a smallish room, I recently heard the Mingus Quintets at the US importers under less than ideal circumstances. The speakers were perhaps 18" from the rear wall and produced a good sound, but hardly up to what I felt they were capable of. In my room, I could create perhaps 30" from the rear wall and would be listening in the nearfield, perhaps 7-8 feet away. I notice the reference to a bass level control which would be a real asset in terms of spectral balance. Since it will cost approximately $1000 each way to get them there, I wondered what you thought about my achieving success with the above listening room parameters. FYI the room has a nice blend of soft and hard surfaces, and if I get the bass right delivers good results. Then, there is always the Coltrane Tenor 2, which I understand is less sensitive to room placement for more $$$?

Many of the Martens are designed for exactly this purpose. I did the 'unthinkable' and placed mine along the long wall in my room, but with front firing passive radiators (no ports), I think this orientation sounds best. In this configuration, I essentially don't have side walls and the only room tuning I've really needed has been back wall absorption.

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Many of the Martens are designed for exactly this purpose. I did the 'unthinkable' and placed mine along the long wall in my room, but with front firing passive radiators (no ports), I think this orientation sounds best. In this configuration, I essentially don't have side walls and the only room tuning I've really needed has been back wall absorption.
Thanks, Bazello. on the spec sheet, I see mention of (2) 8" woofers but no passive radiator and a bass reflex design as opposed to the use of a passive radiator. Perhaps I am mistaken.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
Thanks, Bazello. on the spec sheet, I see mention of (2) 8" woofers but no passive radiator and a bass reflex design as opposed to the use of a passive radiator. Perhaps I am mistaken.
Yes, I was describing my situation. The Quintets, I believe, are bottom ported. The bottom ported Martens I've heard still do fairly well within 24" of the front wall. YMMV

gleeds

Industry Expert
May 29, 2018
Good to hear, and thanks for confirming. I admire their design, craft, and technology. I'm surprised they do not have a larger footprint in the US.

Reactions: RdW and Sampajanna

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing