Martin Logan Neolith

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
50 large. Hopefully any new technology filters down to the other models. :)

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
50 large. Hopefully any new technology filters down to the other models. :)

and my first thought was when will Myles get his :) the name suggests its a successor to the monolith, maybe its closer to a mini-statement. I noticed it sports high-gloss paint finishes, de rigueur nowadays for flagship models.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
and my first thought was when will Myles get his :) the name suggests its a successor to the monolith, maybe its closer to a mini-statement. I noticed it sports high-gloss paint finishes, de rigueur nowadays for flagship models.

Out of my league. :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It looks like the main panel came from the CLS.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
The side view remembers me of the Prodigy - they were a great, but very hard to drive speaker.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
MartinLogan Unveils NEOLITH
A Statement Class Curvilinear Hybrid Electrostatic Loudspeaker
The stunning Neolith pays tribute to MartinLogan’s heritage, incorporating advanced audio technologies with exquisite components, materials, and design.

Munich, Germany – High End 2014 – May 15–18, 2014 – Atrium 4, F 116 – MartinLogan, the world’s leader in electrostatic speaker technology, proudly unveils their upcoming statement class hybrid electrostatic speaker, Neolith. Culminating from MartinLogan’s three-decade long history of pushing the limits of audio technology, Neolith combines a stunning performance that evokes the legendary Statement Evolution 2 loudspeaker while capturing the iconic simplicity of MartinLogan’s original inspiration—the Monolith.
When released in 1983 MartinLogan’s Monolith hybrid electrostatic loudspeaker, with its gossamer thin transparent diaphragm, represented an exciting new direction for electrostatic technology. The iconic new low-mass curvilinear design, combined with exhaustive crossover engineering and dynamic driver research, set new standards for dynamic range, precision, and bandwidth.

STATEMENT LEVEL PERFORMANCE
While Monolith was our inspiration, Neolith’s technical execution and unrestrained performance evokes MartinLogan’s legendary Statement evolution 2 loudspeaker. In comparison, Neolith features a 22x48-inch electrostatic transducer with a radiating surface 35% larger than that of the Statement e2. Flawlessly matched with the electrostatic panel, a 15-inch rear-firing ported woofer and 12-inch front firing sealed mid-bass woofer deliver deeply moving, powerful, and extremely accurate bass down to 23Hz. A fully passive design allows customers to single wire or bi-amp the speaker with high-performance audiophile grade solid state or tube amplifiers.
Neolith is built with an exceptional, super-dense composite material, creating an ideal baffle with a high-mass design that inherently minimizes cabinet vibrations resulting from reactive forces of the powerful woofers.
Featuring MartinLogan’s largest electrostatic radiating surface to date, Neolith’s proprietary curvilinear electrostatic transducer delivers an enveloping 3-dimensional soundstage. MartinLogan’s unique controlled dispersion electrostatic technology results in a single transducer capable of reproducing nearly the entire the audio spectrum while minimizing undesirable acoustic interactions with a listening room’s side walls, floor, and ceiling.
Neolith’s hybrid system delivers living sound—perfectly rendered as it was originally performed with the distinct energy and personality of every voice and every instrument.

FINISH OPTIONS & AVAILABILITY
The handcrafted Neolith will be available in a variety of custom luxury paint finishes. Full details on these colors, pricing, availability and the all important technical specifications will be available at a later date; keep checking the MartinLogan web page in the months to come: www.martinlogan.com/neolith

Attachments

• IMG_2609ss.jpg
    IMG_2609ss.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 3,558
  • IMG_2612ss.jpg
    IMG_2612ss.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 5,018
  • IMG_2614ss.jpg
    IMG_2614ss.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 2,760
  • IMG_2615ss.jpg
    IMG_2615ss.jpg
    158.6 KB · Views: 4,893

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Fantastic. I have long been told by one the dealers I have known well for over 15 years that the Statements are his favourite speaker bar none...and he has never sold MLs.

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
The naming is indeed appropriate as this is basically the Monolith architecture but with an updated bass section. The panel is identical in size to the original Monolith, note the quote: "Neolith features a 22x48-inch electrostatic transducer ", and the original Monolith was also 22x48, but based on Gen1 panel tech (larger perfs, thicker stators).

So I'm happy to see a new iteration of the classic, but I'm not tempted in the least at that estimated price.

I also expect to see an active crossover version (Neolith X) within the year, possibly featuring DSP support for the 3-way x-over + two sub outputs with PBK (ML's room correction for subs). Again, the same approach used on the original Monoliths, which were offered in passive or active flavors.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Since there are no specs, I wonder 1) Where they're xing over between the drivers and 2) how difficult the larger panels are to drive?

JonFo

Jun 11, 2010
Big Canoe, GA
www.jonathanfoulkes.com
Myles, I'd also like to know the x-over points.

As for how hard are they to drive, some of that will depend on the architecture of the passive crossover, as those can be power sinks in their own right.

I drive my Gen1 Monolith panels direct (no passive elements beyond the audio step-up transformer in the speaker) as I use an active crossover setup. And while the load is a total bear (dips to 1.2 ohms at 20Khz), my Sanders Sound Systems ESL amp just shrugs and delivers a boatload of current into them.

So as long as one used decent amps, like a pair of Sanders Magtech monoblocks to drive the Neolith, they'd probably sound great. For best results, I'd go with two Magtechs monoblocks per side and bi-amp (that's an extra $22K in amplification for your $50K speaker set).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hmmm...my cjs had no issues. ;)

The LP275m's? My concern was not only the panel, I found the bass of the Prodigy difficult to control adequately.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
The LP275m's? My concern was not only the panel, I found the bass of the Prodigy difficult to control adequately.

No the Premier 12s IIRC. Was a while back and the old memory ain't what it used to be.

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
I'd love to hear them. Are there any on the east coast?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Be most curious to hear these...particularly to see if with a pair of ML Balanced Force subs...how they stand up to the slam and body and scale of the big Rockports, Wilson, Focals, etc. I could certainly see the natural technological speed of the big panel having some advantages...at the same time if this were coupled with the all out slam capability of big fast cones...that could be something truly special, a true giant killer.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Out of my league. :)
You need to work out some really good accomodation pricing and/or a long-term loan, because to me this looks more like a difference in scale rather than technology :p

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
No the Premier 12s IIRC. Was a while back and the old memory ain't what it used to be.

My mother is 85 and she has been losing her short term memory progressively over the last few years. Last weekend I was in Louisville with the rest of my family to celebrate Mother's Day. My mother's name is Shirley. The rest of my family members were saying that when they can't remember something, the rest chime in and tell them they are going "early Shirley."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
You need to work out some really good accomodation pricing and/or a long-term loan, because to me this looks more like a difference in scale rather than technology :p

Great I'll start passing the hat around here! :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing