Master Built-What are Owners Hearing That They Didn't Hear With Other Cables

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
..you may as well be asking for herpes to go away :D

What a nice friendly comment. I had refrained from posting on this thread today, but now I have to, given this nastiness.

Amir (and Ack) is of course right and the response by Masterbuilt is inadequate and leaves questions open.

And no, electrons don't normally "collide" as Masterbuilt claim on their website. There is this little thing called electrostatic repulsion that usually prevents that.

But enough of the technical stuff, I agree with Ack. Ultimately it's about how the cables sound.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
..glad you liked my comment Al...note smiley face...oh hell never mind

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
:):D;):p:cool:

I guess everything is ok now:confused:

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Gosh, the Emoji Commission is going to have to come up with a WHOLE slew of new ones to cover the bad blood spilt on this thread
I'm afraid doesn't even come close

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hello WBF,

Thank you to the Moderator for closing this thread when it got a little out of hand with some name calling weather just joking or not. I ask that we can all please get back on topic. This thread is about what owners are hearing with the MasterBuilt cables that they didn't hear with other cables. Thanks!!!

Leif

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Leif

The explanation of MB as I expected, flew over my head. Thanks anyway for the effort. All I know is that I've been slowly saving up for a full loom transition from Signature to Ultra. The ICs are in but theres a 12m XLR run, still debating whether I'll go single runs or bi-wire the SCs given I may be stacking CH M1s and I don't know if I'll be bridging them. Then there's the PCs. M1s require 2 PCs PER MONO UNIT!

As you remember, we had gone to show and thus my system was down for a long time and we all agreed it sounded horrible when everything was newly strapped together. That changed even on a one month unpowered system when we strapped them with the U demos you'd taken to Singapore. No it didn't make it sound as if everything had been settled in but it sure got at least 60% there even cold.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
And no, electrons don't normally "collide" as Masterbuilt claim on their website. There is this little thing called electrostatic repulsion that usually prevents that.

But enough of the technical stuff, I agree with Ack. Ultimately it's about how the cables sound.

It's probably just their fancy, lamen, way to say "inductance"; which in a manner of speaking is like electron collision, even if they don't touch.

Jack, I think there's something sort of special saving up for something you really want. It's a little sad when some audiophiles limit themselves to what feels disposable - to me it's like they aren't much of an audiophile since so many of us have been working towards things for years in all different ways.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Hi Leif

The explanation of MB as I expected, flew over my head. Thanks anyway for the effort. All I know is that I've been slowly saving up for a full loom transition from Signature to Ultra. The ICs are in but theres a 12m XLR run, still debating whether I'll go single runs or bi-wire the SCs given I may be stacking CH M1s and I don't know if I'll be bridging them. Then there's the PCs. M1s require 2 PCs PER MONO UNIT!

As you remember, we had gone to show and thus my system was down for a long time and we all agreed it sounded horrible when everything was newly strapped together. That changed even on a one month unpowered system when we strapped them with the U demos you'd taken to Singapore. No it didn't make it sound as if everything had been settled in but it sure got at least 60% there even cold.

Lol...

I spent a couple of hours reading about how electrons can collide in wire and especially extruded wire. I guess the trick is to prevent this from happening which is difficult to truly eliminate all of it if I understood this correctly, but can be done. I guess this is where the qualities of the materials and winding geometry are so important. Who cares lol, I love the way they sound;)

Definitely single run if you have any intention on doing that. Believe me I know about the long run of I/C's. We just purchased a 9 meter pair for Axpona and the L.A. Audio Show. Ouch!!!

Oh, then I had to get 3 meter Ultra PC's for the dam ULTRA 11 plate amps. Grr....

The good news is ASC Acoustic Sciences is providing all custom treatment for the show:cool:

I was having flashbacks of some of the words flying around between all of us when we put the Ultra's in your system. I laughed so hard on our visit. It's healthy lol.

We'll get you fixed up. Not that you needed to be lol.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
The good news is ASC Acoustic Sciences is providing all custom treatment for the show:cool:

Excellent, congratulations. I have ASC all over my room, tube traps, diffusion panels, window plugs. Love this stuff.

ddk

May 18, 2013
Utah
Thanks Leif... kind of close to the explanation that DDK gave me regarding his cables when I visited his fantastic system in the desert of Utah..."Bionors gone into the wild, wild West."

Cheers!

LOL Alan! You know my mathematical equation for cables, 1m ? $10 = :b!

david

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Excellent, congratulations. I have ASC all over my room, tube traps, diffusion panels, window plugs. Love this stuff.

Awesome! I'm really excited that they are going to help us out. The room being 30' by 30' presents a challenge and I'm glad they are going to take care of it.

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013

Same here since 1990--wouldn't have a Listening Room without them:D!

BruceD

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I haven't kept current with this thread in a while and after reading it earlier, I wanted to post a comment but saw the thread was closed. Since this is apparently the thread that won't stay dead, I'm pleased to see that I can ask the following question to Leif.

Leif, was your comment in post #563. I'd appreciate it if you would address this:

"Any patent description would have to necessarily include insulation type and application, non-metallic agents added to the exterior of the wire for various purposes, our proprietary shielding, our winding geometry, and other trade secrets that took hundreds of thousands of dollars to perfect. If we published our patents, it would become a recipe for other companies to copy. It is common knowledge that by slightly altering just one step of the materials and process, a competitor could easily side-step the patent, making it worthless or extremely expensive to defend."

Leif, this is confusing to me. As you know, all granted patents are published. Even patent applications are searchable after 18 months of filing. May I see the patent(s)? My only interest is education. The patents are in the public domain if they have been granted. Why would I not able to read them?

More importantly, it seems to me that listing the patents would quiet the concern of some who think MB has had some mis-steps along the way (as they themselves have admitted). I've read patents on Shunyata cables, CMS racks and many other audiophile products. I don't understand the concern MB has with listing its patents. Patents are protected for a reason. The only reason I can't find them is because I do not know the name of the patent holder. Why would this be information you do not wish to share? It's already in the public domain! Please advise.
Thanks
Marty

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Not Leif or MB but as the author of our IP Code, allow me to answer in general terms and not just about this instance. Patents present protection but to get that protection you need to go to court. It is for that reason among some secondary considerations such as prescribed protection period vis-a-vis time to market that many IP owners choose not to apply for patent protection at all. Speaking of the period, once expired we all know it becomes permanently part of public domain. Extensions are sometimes granted but that costs a lot of money and is seen mainly with big industry such as Pharma. Keep your secrets to yourself and rely on your security, it's yours forever until somebody else figures it out. This is a big risk that must be weighed. If someone files a patent for what you've been doing, YOU will now have to pay the royalties or desist! Decisions, decisions.

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Patents pending are not public domain, btw. I'm not sure which the MB's fall under.

Also it's not that clear whether some of the MB patents are really for other things being applied to cables or not.

Holli82

Jun 6, 2010
Hi Leif

Jack,

I completely understood the explanation for the MB. It was quite elementary. Send me all of your signature MB when you upgrade and I will be happy to take time to get you up to speed.

Leif S

Industry Expert
Feb 13, 2015
California
www.vonschweikert.com
Patents pending are not public domain, btw. I'm not sure which the MB's fall under.

Also it's not that clear whether some of the MB patents are really for other things being applied to cables or not.

You are spot on

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing