Michael Fremer Joins The Absolute Sound

Vinylfan

Jan 12, 2019
Easily the best deal I have done so far in my role. We have some really cool and exclusive content lined up for the Summer and Fall.

Is the absolute sound available through a Kindle subscription?

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Hi @Lee -- a quick TAS question. Is there an index or list of the table of contents for each issue?

In issue 94 there is an HP article titled 'The Essay Part III'. I'm looking for parts 1-2 and the promised part 4.

I don't know but maybe can ask Robert Harley.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Michael Fremer's first video on his new YouTube TrackingAngle channel is now out. Check it out and hit the Subscribe button!

Reactions: jtinn and rando

tima

Industry Expert
Mar 3, 2014
the Upper Midwest
I don't know but maybe can ask Robert Harley.

Thanks.

I've always been surprised that TAS sees little value in its back issues. The lack of an index of tables of contents is indicative. Back issues could be put on disk for sale. Or put on the Web where they could be searched under a subscription. Or curated to tie articles together that span volumes. I'm curious why this has not been done? Current editions could have amazing cover art as past issues had.

Reactions: gestalt

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Thanks.

I've always been surprised that TAS sees little value in its back issues. The lack of an index of tables of contents is indicative. Back issues could be put on disk for sale. Or put on the Web where they could be searched under a subscription. Or curated to tie articles together that span volumes. I'm curious why this has not been done? Current editions could have amazing cover art as past issues had.

Tim,

We have not determined that we lack such an index. But we have to run a profitable business. If there is enough demand, we will put more back issues on Zinio. We have been around since 1973 so it can be very expensive to digitize everything.

Give me some time to do some research.

Reactions: tima

rando

Sep 22, 2019
51K subscribers - "I expect to be able to do that pretty quickly."
00,039 and counting
Will be an interesting footnote what date he meets that claim

Congrats on the new channel and many more years of TrackingAngle.
I hope you actually do interview some of the characters involved with your long list of albums.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
51K subscribers - "I expect to be able to do that pretty quickly."
00,027 and counting
Will be an interesting footnote what date he meets that claim

Congrats on the new channel and many more years of TrackingAngle.
I hope you actually do interview some of the characters involved with your long list of albums.

I think Michael will succeed given how well known he is. We have a ton of cool stuff in store too that only he could pull off. He has a ton of access to musicians and the industry.

Reactions: rando

Al Stewart

May 14, 2017
I think Michael has already succeeded. IMO he is a great combination of knowledge, humor and chutzpah--the good kind. Congratulations, Lee. Good get.

Reactions: hogen and Lee

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
I think Michael has already succeeded. IMO he is a great combination of knowledge, humor and chutzpah--the good kind. Congratulations, Lee. Good get.
Thank you Al, much appreciated.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Lee can vet this post and make any conflicts known. Which I will respect. :)

Pulled up TA youtube Friday morning and saw subscribers at 2.7K up from a few hundred. By last night it was 3.2 and currently sits at 3.61K.

Anyways, that flurry of two channel views in a day produced awareness an interview of MF uploaded yesterday by a Canadian dealer by an audiophile and MoFi release reviewer at a Canadian dealer who sponsors his videos. A thought was given towards some here potentially having interest in the topic of digital to analog.

Last edited:

thedudeabides

Jan 16, 2011
Alto, NM
One of the true icons of audio reviewers. And my understanding, absent wire, he has purchased most of his system. Very little in the "long term loan" category.

Reactions: Ron Resnick

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
Wasn't he the one who always claimed to be capable to detect clearly digital and analogue? Demonstrably, he didn´t recognize the DSD at MoFi. Hopefully he won´t going to be a burden to Absolute Sound.

At the same time, the Mo-Fi scandal points at the veracy of any review made by ear. None of the aspects expressed in those reviews need to be true or can be proven by ear. Some of those reviews by ear can also be fundamentally wrong as the scandal shows.
How will Absolute Sound deal with this topic in the future?

P.S.: @Lee would be nice to get that answered. What will be the TAS policy about how reviews will be done and validated in your magazine in future?

Last edited:
Reactions: Bergm@nn

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
@Lee : When he shot at Mr. Esposito of The 'In' Groove again here he emphasized beeing a journalist. But journalists do not believe but check and report on facts. He obviously didn´t.

How will TAS deal with this?

By the way, to me the new article about MoFi is higly problematic. This article disqualifies good journalism

Audire

VIP/Donor
Jan 18, 2019
FL Panhandle
Wasn't he the one who always claimed to be capable to detect clearly digital and analogue? Demonstrably, he didn´t recognize the DSD at MoFi. Hopefully he won´t going to be a burden to Absolute Sound.

At the same time, the Mo-Fi scandal points at the veracy of any review made by ear. None of the aspects expressed in those reviews need to be true or can be proven by ear. Some of those reviews by ear can also be fundamentally wrong as the scandal shows.
How will Absolute Sound deal with this topic in the future?

P.S.: @Lee would be nice to get that answered. What will be the TAS policy about how reviews will be done and validated in your magazine in future?

On the MoFi thread I posted this:

I make fun of Fremer (but really enjoy what he says most of the time), but he was not fooled by digital records. He states as much beginning at app 44 minutes in on this video made in 2020. The entire video is worth listening too.

Webinar: State of the Vinyl Industry with Michael Fremer

Reactions: Don_Camillo

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

Don_Camillo

Jun 26, 2022
Vienna
tempo333.blogspot.com
I make fun of Fremer (but really enjoy what he says most of the time), but he was not fooled by digital records. He states as much beginning at app 44 minutes in on this video made in 2020. The entire video is worth listening too.

Webinar: State of the Vinyl Industry with Michael Fremer
Thanks for sharing. At 44:52 ff he even admits indirectly that he knew exactly what was going on when he refers to the great article written by a mastering engineer. So he wasn't a victim, as he always tries to portray, but a perpetrator. He is a front-row protagonist in the MoFi scandal.

Reactions: Lagonda

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
@Lee : When he shot at Mr. Esposito of The 'In' Groove again here he emphasized beeing a journalist. But journalists do not believe but check and report on facts. He obviously didn´t.

How will TAS deal with this?

By the way, to me the new article about MoFi is higly problematic. This article disqualifies good journalism

I truly do not understand what this post is about. We discuss Mike Esposito’s fluffy questions to, and meandering “interview” of, the Mobile Fidelity recording engineers at https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...ues-have-a-digital-step-in-the-process.35221/

We also discuss the written questions and answers between TAS and Jim Davis at https://www.whatsbestforum.com/thre...e-a-digital-step-in-the-process.35221/page-34

Last edited:
Reactions: Audire

rando

Sep 22, 2019
From 3.61K up to 8.13K subscribers in slightly over a month.

All is still doom and gloom, apparently.

Hang in there Mikey!

Last edited:
Reactions: Leekg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing