Michael Fremer podcast: Wow!!!!

The two discs I bought were VERY obscure world music titles that were getting over a $100 from third party sellers. We are taking
really obscure, low run.

So I went for it. I am going to try to plot a spectrum and see if I can find evidence of lossy.

I understand you bought from Amazon directly. Be very wary buying from third party sellers on Amazon. I've had people buy our releases from third party sellers only to find out they are counterfeit. I had someone from Israel send me the physical product so I could inspect it. It was a pretty close approximation of the real thing but once you held it side by side with the real thing the differences jumped right out at you.

I understand you bought from Amazon directly. Be very wary buying from third party sellers on Amazon. I've had people buy our releases from third party sellers only to find out they are counterfeit. I had someone from Israel send me the physical product so I could inspect it. It was a pretty close approximation of the real thing but once you held it side by side with the real thing the differences jumped right out at you.

Caveat Emptor!

Here is a spectrum of one of the tracks from a CD-R on demand I bought:

It may very well be an mp3 CD-R burn. There seems to be nothing above 18.5 Khz, Hard to be definitive....but...

This was sourced from RBCD, not mp3

Bruce, how do we tell? Thanks by the way!

There is a nice even slope out to 22k before the brickwall. If this was an mp3, you'd see a steep drop starting back before 20k, almost like a ski slope before the brickwall.

There is a nice even slope out to 22k before the brickwall. If this was an mp3, you'd see a steep drop starting back before 20k, almost like a ski slope before the brickwall.

Thanks Bruce. FYI, this is the first time I have ever imported a track into Audacity to determine lineage. I know that is a pet peeve of yours!
But I would have been pissed off at paying for an mp3 sourced CD-R. Ken's statement that some of these on demand CD-R titles are compromised warranted
an investigation.

Thanks Bruce. FYI, this is the first time I have ever imported a track into Audacity to determine lineage. I know that is a pet peeve of yours!

At least you didn't try to determine how it sounds by looking at a graph, then it's all good! ;)

At least you didn't try to determine how it sounds by looking at a graph, then it's all good! ;)

You think that is bad? How about audiophiles who try to determine how a component or speaker is going to sound from pictures, specs, and design sheets.

Funnily enough, this is one cd I did not listen to in my main system..only in the car and on my phone. It sounded ok to me.

Just read all 13 pages. I know I'm not very bright, so could someone please explain the problem(s) with what Michael had to say? The header makes it sound like a force was employed strong enough to part the sea, when in reality it's the same rhetoric MF's been asserting since the beginning of time. Nothing new, nothing unexpected. What am I not getting?

I just watched the Fremer video. I had to chuckle when he started to talk about a dinner in NYC that he attended at an Italian restaurant a couple of months ago. This was around 31 minutes into the video. There were four members of the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra string section at the dinner. Fremer mentions that they listen to vinyl records because they told him that "CDs don't do string tone correctly". My good friend is the Director of Archives for the Vienna State Opera and knows these musicians well. He introduced me to one of them last December during a tour of the Opera. Perhaps he was at the dinner with Fremer. He is a devoted SME owner as are many of the other members of the VPO. Long live vinyl!

(...) My good friend is the Director of Archives for the Vienna State Opera and knows these musicians well. He introduced me to one of them last December during a tour of the Opera. Perhaps he was at the dinner with Fremer. He is a devoted SME owner as are many of the other members of the VPO. Long live vinyl!

I would like to know about the opinion of these people about a DCS Scarlatti or Vivaldi in a good system. The thing that impressed me more on the top DCS equipment playing CDs was the string tone - the string sections of some of my cd recordings seemed to have a correctness that I only associated with vinyl or tape. A few Mozart string pieces seemed natural, as well as the Bartok concertos. I never again found any digital gear that could achieve the same - but I have not listened to all of them. Anyway I never had this equipment in my system - I can not be sure if I would feel the same after some time. The DCS's seemed correct, but not forgiving. And yes, both the SME30 and the Forsell are excellent in this aspect.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu