Millennials, Please Check In!

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Marmota, for your own good don't get too inspired by the expensive systems. Focus on paying down mortgage and making money, then you will have more audio experience and if a good expensive one comes by you can buy it easily. By then, you will know its true value rather than being fooled like many here. For now, and the next decade, just focus on a vintage 15 inch monitor tannoy gold with Luxman integrated and stream cheap.

That's a very good advice, truly!
Don't worry, I'm eyeing relatively cheap things, such as DIY speaker kits or used gear, I'm much more worried about mortgage and make a decent living, that's for sure. I would also like to build things myself once I finish electronics engineering, such as amps or a phono stage, just for fun and to understand better how things sound, so definitely no +100k sytem, that's for sure. I wouldn't invest such a sum unless I have a house paid and 10x that amount saved.

What I find inspiring is that people smart enough to succeed in their respective fields do spend their time finding what makes them happy and take their time to share it. When I see some systems here, I see a dream come true more than a collection of electronics, what it says to me is: "you can follow your dreams too" instead of "spend mortgage money on cable loom" :cool:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
That's a very good advice, truly!
Don't worry, I'm eyeing relatively cheap things, such as DIY speaker kits or used gear, I'm much more worried about mortgage and make a decent living, that's for sure. I would also like to build things myself once I finish electronics engineering, such as amps or a phono stage, just for fun and to understand better how things sound, so definitely no +100k sytem, that's for sure. I wouldn't invest such a sum unless I have a house paid and 10x that amount saved.

What I find inspiring is that people smart enough to succeed in their respective fields do spend their time finding what makes them happy and take their time to share it. When I see some systems here, I see a dream come true more than a collection of electronics, what it says to me is: "you can follow your dreams too" instead of "spend mortgage money on cable loom" :cool:

DIY is definitely the best way but you can get carried away there as well. Many DIY people do not have a high end reference and just keep building. DIY should be a low cost way to beat commercial high end sound (done right).

Reactions: Folsom and marmota

westlower

May 29, 2019
Marmota, for your own good don't get too inspired by the expensive systems. Focus on paying down mortgage and making money, then you will have more audio experience and if a good expensive one comes by you can buy it easily. By then, you will know its true value rather than being fooled like many here. For now, and the next decade, just focus on a vintage 15 inch monitor tannoy gold with Luxman integrated and stream cheap.

hmmm...Not exactly very cheap or very practical (Vintage 15 inch monitor tannoy gold) given he lives in Spain
but yes a cheaper option than commercial off the shelf.

Last edited:

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
hmmm...Not exactly very cheap or very practical (Vintage 15 inch monitor tannoy gold) given he lives in Spain

Over the next decade! Btw I bet you like that recommendation

westlower

May 29, 2019
Last edited:
Reactions: bonzo75

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I'm born in 1964. NO way I'm a Gen X. Booming all the way to my grave.

The X re-evaluation has been done my friend. ;)

Ha! Yeah We were grumpy little snots and have never let go of our cynicism but hey, look at us now, indexed as the happiest due to best balance between work and life. Growing up latch keyed wasn't so bad after all as we got our street smarts early since the streets were where we literally grew up, largely unsupervised.

I have a feeling the Millennials will likewise prove their stereotype wrong. From what I see from the Millennials that work for me, they all have a strong sense of mission and thus get their jobs done well and creatively so. They certainly aren't soft or needy in my experience. They just have all these platforms to whine on. All prior generations whined. They just never saw or heard us! LOL

Reactions: Folsom and Bobvin

advanced101

VIP/Donor
May 3, 2017
I am 34, never thought of myself as a millennial but I guess that is where I am at. I worked at Circuit City in high school and that's where all this started. I used to be intimidated by some of the systems here until I realized that most of the people are at a very different point in their lives. This hobby takes a back seat to family and work life. Luckily, work life is fairly stress free and affords the time and money to focus on this hobby. I particularly liked Mike Lavingne's story about his audiophile journey at different points in his life.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
I am 34, never thought of myself as a millennial but I guess that is where I am at. I worked at Circuit City in high school and that's where all this started. I used to be intimidated by some of the systems here until I realized that most of the people are at a very different point in their lives. This hobby takes a back seat to family and work life. Luckily, work life is fairly stress free and affords the time and money to focus on this hobby. I particularly liked Mike Lavinge's story about his audiophile journey at different points in his life.

thank you.

being an audiophile is mostly a time allocation sort of thing. you need to be at a nexus of having choices. it morphs into an obsession and then into a whole culture/community thing later.

so expecting young people with other life priorities to suddenly be audiophiles is not realistic. some will, but until you have time to fill it's hard to do and fit it into your life.....forgetting about the asset allocation thing.

Reactions: asiufy

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
The X re-evaluation has been done my friend. ;)

Ha! Yeah We were grumpy little snots and have never let go of our cynicism but hey, look at us now, indexed as the happiest due to best balance between work and life. Growing up latch keyed wasn't so bad after all as we got our street smarts early since the streets were where we literally grew up, largely unsupervised.

I have a feeling the Millennials will likewise prove their stereotype wrong. From what I see from the Millennials that work for me, they all have a strong sense of mission and thus get their jobs done well and creatively so. They certainly aren't soft or needy in my experience. They just have all these platforms to whine on. All prior generations whined. They just never saw or heard us! LOL
You got me there, Jack. Maybe I lapse categories in a different time zone.

Re Gen Z, there are just as many triggered Boomers as them. It's just that our moaning is done in the confines of the homes we own, w time to spare. Z have to moan on the go, w no cash to spare, landlords looking over their shoulders.

Z are the first generation ever who are poorer than their parents.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
boomer assets will be liquidated by Gen X'rs.

Been a few grains of sand since the current generation's lifespan ending so neatly coincided with their parents absent a war or plague.

Inheritance, lololol. I think you might have meant to imply a larger gap than Boomer > Gen X. Go grab a crowd photo from any major youth music festival and see how many adolescent 40-60+ aged people are in there. Y, tho.

Large :) implied.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
I plan to never die. Posting on a digital v analog thread in 2112 (in-joke for Hi-FiGuy).

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Hi there!
I was born in 1992, so I'm a millenial :)

My interest for audio dates back from 4 years ago when I tried to apply for a job at a Hifi store. I live in Spain, so this is the only one that exists in my city. I had no idea about hifi but I was unemployed and have a marketing degree, so I entered to give my CV and try to get a sales job. I didn't get it because economy is a true chaos here and they couldn't afford another employee, but the owner was incredibly gracious and asked me if I wanted to hear a couple of songs on their main system (I don't remember exactly, but it was some B&W speakers and a Rotel or Yamaha amp)...I have a hard time remembering when I felt so relaxed and happy as listening to an album there.
Everything started from that moment and a huge interest about audio gear was born in me. So much that I will start studying electronics engineering at a University this year ;)
This also ignited a desire to learn english (I had no idea 4 years ago), so I use my time in forums to get a better understanding of english too, to at least read or hear someone talk everyday to learn faster.

I do have a job now but I truly dislike marketing, and salary is horrible.
I try to go to shows to hear as much audio gear as I can, I aspire to improve myself and someday be able to afford a nice system like most people here, you guys are truly inspiring.

Best regards

Hi Marmota!

Thank you so much for introducing yourself!

Your written English is amazing! I started learning Dutch four years ago, and all I can say today is "cheers" and "thank you" and "please."

Like many of us you were hooked by the audio hobby early on. It is great that you are able to make time to go to audio shows!

Congratulations on starting the electronics engineering degree! (That means straightaway that you are smarter than most of us on WBF!)

Reactions: marmota

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Marmota, for your own good don't get too inspired by the expensive systems. Focus on paying down mortgage and making money, then you will have more audio experience and if a good expensive one comes by you can buy it easily. By then, you will know its true value . . . .

+1

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Reactions: GMKF

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I am 34, never thought of myself as a millennial but I guess that is where I am at. I worked at Circuit City in high school and that's where all this started. I used to be intimidated by some of the systems here until I realized that most of the people are at a very different point in their lives. This hobby takes a back seat to family and work life. Luckily, work life is fairly stress free and affords the time and money to focus on this hobby. I particularly liked Mike Lavingne's story about his audiophile journey at different points in his life.

Hi advanced101!

Thank you for introducing yourself!

There is nothing to be intimidated about. Many people here practiced delayed gratification, and, yes, most of the people here are at a very different point in their lives. It is great that you can focus on the hobby!

Reactions: advanced101

jeff1225

Jan 29, 2012

Craig's list and eBay are your friend. Vintage audio equipment can provide superior performance to modern equipment at a fraction of the price. When i was having my custom horn speakers build, I brought my father's vintage ESS Heil speakers into my room to fill the void. Several audio friends with serious systems (Wilson Alexx & Tannoy Westminister) we absolutely blown away by the performance of a speaker $1000 speaker.

Ron Resnick

Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Tima,

Greatest Generation: 1901-1927
Silent Generation: 1928-1945
Baby Boomers: 1946-1963
Gen X: 1964 - 1982
Millennial: 1983-2000
iGen: 2001-? (started with invention of iPod)

Some authors are now trying to radically change these dates but honestly they're just trying to make name for themselves by competing to who's going to be "official" - they're clowns. Many of the dates signify massive changes as we know the world.

On whose list does Baby Boomer end in 1962 and Gen X begin in 1963?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing