Morch dp8

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
My first post here. Mr. Moerch was kind enough to make me a custom 10” DP8 tonearm a few years ago using my own calculations. It sounds great with a superb base, but I have nothing else to compare it too. I know the math of the tonearm alignment pretty well. If you have any doubts on the value of the overhang or other parameters in your setup and can provide a couple of measurements, I’d be happy to calculate precise numerical values using Loefgren A or B or the optimum in between.

Thank you very much for your generous offer. I did use a Dr. Friekert alignment protractor as well as the cardboard protractor Moerch now provides. Setup was no problem as the new armboard provided by Michell precisely set the pivot to spindle distance at 212mm as called for (kudos to Michell now I don’t feel so bad about the month wait!) and verified by the Dr. Friekert. I am using Loefgren A.
The arm does sound great ( the bass is amazing) but it is a little wobbly, kinda like a unipivot I guess. Very different than the Rega based Tecnoarm I was using.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
After living with the DP8 tonearm for a few weeks, just wanted to post a few comments for those who have some interest in this arm.
Although I did post above that it was easy to set up, I did find find out that my initial set was not optimal. After spendping more time working on the lateral balance and centre of gravity as described in the instruction, things started to sound better. As other dp8 users in this thread have mentioned, overhang is absolutely critical when using this arm. It must be set precisely or you don’t get the full performance. Also the wiring in the arm wand needs burn in, the more I play it the better it sounds. I have found the Cardas sweep/burn in album to be very helpful and try to run it every day or so.
The only other arm I have used with my Orbe is the Tecnoarm. While it is a fine arm, the Moerch is better in several respects. The Moerch is smoother and richer sounding, as if a layer of resonance has been removed, especially in the treble. Small details emerge that were previously hidden. This helps produce a very wide and deep soundstage. Loud, complex music holds together better.
Then there is the bass. It is not that it goes so much deeper than the Tecnoarm (which also has good bass), it goes deep but it is so clean. Weather acoustic bass or electric, you hear the players fingers on strings, you hear the body of the instrument, the details of the playing. It is quite amazing, and has me seriously considering (once again) subwoofers for my Acoustats.
Although it is quite different in use from the Rega based Tecnoarm, as I have become more familiar with it I have found it a pleasure to use. The cueing is accurate, the arm comes down at a nice smooth rate (after you add the silicon damping), and due to the large effective horizontal mass from the side weights, the arm moves smoothly and solidly in the up position to where you want to drop it. The arm can move up and down as well as side to side (unlike a Rega), it is not really wobbly and it seems perfectly natural now.
I want to again point out the service from Mehran of Sorasound and Mr. Moerch as well. They have been there to help with the set up of the tonearm, Mehran has FaceTimed me and Mr. Moerch has also made himself available on FT should I need him. They really want me to get the most out of the arm.
I also think it looks great on my Orbe. Very happy with my purchase! A248FA89-3B87-4FED-9CDF-B4FCE0C878F9.jpeg

Reactions: jackelsson

dart6

Jul 21, 2020
Hi all, glad i found this post. I have the DP-8 with both the red and blue arm tubes and will be getting both fitted with cartridges.

My question, how is the overhang measured

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Hi dart6.
Moerch is now providing a template you can use for setting overhang. You can also use one of the alignment protractors on the market. I used the Dr. Friekert alignment protractor to set overhang and alignment.
According to the dp8 instruction manual, overhang is correct with the standard armtube when the cartridge stylus is right under the front edge of the black plane of the arm tube and 4mm behind the front edge with the precision arm tubes. But I would definitely use some kind of protractor or template to set this.
Enjoy your dp8 it is a fantastic arm. Very easy to adjust VTA, tracking force and azimuth (!!!). But getting the overhang and alignment right is critical, as it is with any arm.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
After living with the DP8 tonearm for a few weeks, just wanted to post a few comments for those who have some interest in this arm.
Although I did post above that it was easy to set up, I did find find out that my initial set was not optimal. After spendping more time working on the lateral balance and centre of gravity as described in the instruction, things started to sound better. As other dp8 users in this thread have mentioned, overhang is absolutely critical when using this arm. It must be set precisely or you don’t get the full performance. Also the wiring in the arm wand needs burn in, the more I play it the better it sounds. I have found the Cardas sweep/burn in album to be very helpful and try to run it every day or so.
The only other arm I have used with my Orbe is the Tecnoarm. While it is a fine arm, the Moerch is better in several respects. The Moerch is smoother and richer sounding, as if a layer of resonance has been removed, especially in the treble. Small details emerge that were previously hidden. This helps produce a very wide and deep soundstage. Loud, complex music holds together better.
Then there is the bass. It is not that it goes so much deeper than the Tecnoarm (which also has good bass), it goes deep but it is so clean. Weather acoustic bass or electric, you hear the players fingers on strings, you hear the body of the instrument, the details of the playing. It is quite amazing, and has me seriously considering (once again) subwoofers for my Acoustats.
Although it is quite different in use from the Rega based Tecnoarm, as I have become more familiar with it I have found it a pleasure to use. The cueing is accurate, the arm comes down at a nice smooth rate (after you add the silicon damping), and due to the large effective horizontal mass from the side weights, the arm moves smoothly and solidly in the up position to where you want to drop it. The arm can move up and down as well as side to side (unlike a Rega), it is not really wobbly and it seems perfectly natural now.
I want to again point out the service from Mehran of Sorasound and Mr. Moerch as well. They have been there to help with the set up of the tonearm, Mehran has FaceTimed me and Mr. Moerch has also made himself available on FT should I need him. They really want me to get the most out of the arm.
I also think it looks great on my Orbe. Very happy with my purchase! View attachment 62602

I think they are a great match for Orbes and Gyrodecs.

I've used a DP6 for years but there is an annoying issue. The weights at the back of the arm are so easy to move by lifting the arm up a little too high at the end of a record. If you do that, obviously you have to re-do the tracking weight. Massively annoying. I am using a Michell manufacturing Morch DP6 board.

The DP6 with the Orbe platter is just so natural sounding, though. That's its top aspect. Much of the great bass you are hearing is due to that platter plus that arm. Slap a Gyrodec platter on there and you'd loose it - the bass definition just goes. I know I've done that swap a few times.

DP8 might avoid that issue. Have you had it yet?

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
I think they are a great match for Orbes and Gyrodecs.

I've used a DP6 for years but there is an annoying issue. The weights at the back of the arm are so easy to move by lifting the arm up a little too high at the end of a record. If you do that, obviously you have to re-do the tracking weight. Massively annoying. I am using a Michell manufacturing Morch DP6 board.

The DP6 with the Orbe platter is just so natural sounding, though. That's its top aspect. Much of the great bass you are hearing is due to that platter plus that arm. Slap a Gyrodec platter on there and you'd loose it - the bass definition just goes. I know I've done that swap a few times.

DP8 might avoid that issue. Have you had it yet?

Hi User211
i have not had that problem. The counter weighs seem to have a inner rubber like surround that keeps them holding on to the rod. Maybe this dries out over time or your weights do not have this? If so you could probably order new counterweights from Moerch. Try Mehran at Sorasound he is a great guy and I’m sure he would help you. I can see how that would be massively annoying for sure! Just checked my tracking weight and it is still a perfect 1.75, and I use a Lyra Delos and the weight must be perfect for the cartridge to function properly.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Yeah they do have the rubber seal.

The problem is the position of the weights on the DP6. And the holes are way off centre making them too close to the arm board. Not much can be done about it.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
Yeah they do have the rubber seal.

The problem is the position of the weights on the DP6. And the holes are way off centre making them too close to the arm board. Not much can be done about it.

When I had Michell make the custom armboard for the dp8 I was told I would also need custom spacers (20 or 22mm I think) to get the arm high enough to use with the Orbe. If you are using the smaller spacers, that may be why the weights are so close to the armboard. Mine are well clear of the armboard. Mounting the armboard higher would also keep it more parallel with the platter which would help keep the weights more stable. I will try to post a picture tonight.
To me the one of the biggest improvements with dp8 is the easy azimuth adjustment. I have never had an arm with adjustable azimuth and am amazed how it helps snap the imaging into focus. Just using my ears at this point, but the difference is easy to hear and makes as much or more difference than VTA.

Mendel

Feb 13, 2012
GTA
A picture of the rear counterweights and armboard spacers. I have put one of the regular spacers I used with the Tecnoarm to highlight the larger ones being used.

Attachments

• 4EFE32BF-282B-467D-A292-EE3690BCFCD0.jpeg
    4EFE32BF-282B-467D-A292-EE3690BCFCD0.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 41

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
My deck was originally a Gyrodec (bought new by me some 30 years ago and still looking great) with the Orbe upgrade kit applied to it. The arm board was made for me by Michell as a special for a DP6. So the original metal spacers are now acrylic ones of the correct height.

I see what you have done with one of your weights to keep it away from the arm board. Mine have to hang out further on the DP6 and mounting the weight like you have means it can turn from time to time.

Thanks for your help. It's not enough of a problem for me to really worry too much about it. Whilst I am using vinyl again after a long break, I don't use it that often.

Enjoy it anyway. You can spend an awful lot more on vinyl set ups and each will sound different, but will they be appreciably better? I think the answer is probably not a lot. I'd probably look at my phono stage for any GVFM improvements. I'm allergic to tube based phono stages I think. I just seem to consistently prefer solid state for that duty.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing