"More people spend $€£100-400k on a system than 10-40k"...

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
"One, two or more systems"...yes, we can all recognise that. One can lose count of how many systems one goes thru to find "the one true love".

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
My opinion and nothing more than that is that MANY of the middle level audio buyers are "sort of" with different degrees of being audiophiles.

If they are audiophiles they already have one, two or more systems. Audiogon, for the most part is dead. It's REALLY hard to sell what you have to get something new.

NOT ENOUGH new younger people coming into the market, one reason is the prices have gotten crazy. You can get GREAT sound for not many $$$, but I know a lot of 20/30 and even 40 year olds and they have family and life responsibilities and they don't have this history in the audio world that a LOT of us on this forum do.

A lot of the middle level also got burned out with buying several systems and finding out that they usually end up with something different vs. better. I think a lot of people are just set now with what they have other than a new server, dac, cables etc.

That's just my two cents.
I’d think that the internet has changed not just the way we shop but also what we aspire to buy and how much we are willing to pay.

Exposure to audio forums has also had a significant impact in terms of what gear we are exposed to, what expectations we have of that gear and what we ultimately aspire to and very much about how much gear then costing is OK. If many around us online are saying spending lots and lots on gear is OK then it becomes the new OK. Plus factor in inflation over the last few decades and so maybe $100k for the system becomes a bit more about where it’s at. This is an addiction so we find ways to justify and feed our habits.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rhapsody

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
"One, two or more systems"...yes, we can all recognise that. One can lose count of how many systems one goes thru to find "the one true love".
Went to three (just to find out) and now getting back to two systems. One for the everyday and background and to share with others and then one just for me, the private and cultured (as Daniele from AlsyVox so delightfully and adroitly put it) and completely committed music lover and occasional full on gear junkie.

There are no shortcuts to nirvana, the journey is a ride of the lifetime. It’s only over when the big lady stops her singing and we don’t primarily care about the music any more... consumption is nothing without that nourishment.

Last edited:

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Oh, I meant multiple systems getting to the truly beloved Lol.
I guess more than one system will push expenditure up.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Bob, I can't even post links. How can I be trusted with a tablet and 93 million tracks Lol?!

Just press this button from the bar when writing the post and copy the link there.

a1.jpg

Just MHO, please take no offense, but quoting a minimal part from a text without a proper reference is poor style. As you are quoting an internet article the link should be mandatory.

Reactions: tima

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Being polyspeakerus is so very last decade lol. Auditioning briefly is useful like speed dating. Living longer term simultaneously with horn, box and panel was a great way to understand some of the essential differences in topology that I was trying to get my head around. But to do justice to all would require more time (and more rooms) than I have. I’ll still try and get it down to a slightly more viable addiction.

Last edited:
Reactions: Billygxx

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Just press this button from the bar when writing the post and copy the link there.

View attachment 60698

Just MHO, please take no offense, but quoting a minimal part from a text without a proper reference is poor style. As you are quoting an internet article the link should be mandatory.
Sure, but since I wasn't taking his comment in any way out of context, I'm not sure that's mandatory.

spiritofmusic

Jun 13, 2013
E. England
Being polyspeakerus is so very last decade lol. Auditioning briefly is useful like speed dating. Living longer term simultaneously with horn, box and panel was a great way to understand some of the essential differences in topology that I was trying to get my head around. But to do justice to all would require more time (and more rooms) than I have. I’ll still try and get it down to a slightly more viable addiction.
Well, polyamorous apparently is the next social taboo to be broken, so maybe you should stick w yr multiple topologies (sorry if that sounds like an affliction Lol).

the sound of Tao

Jul 18, 2014
Polyamorous is the same issue as polyspeakerus... just not enough resources, time and or rooms to do justice to them all lol.

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
If they are audiophiles they already have one, two or more systems. Audiogon, for the most part is dead. It's REALLY hard to sell what you have to get something new.

I feel audiogon is dead too. I also find it quite interesting that you are selling so many pricey systems, and good for you. I thought exactly because the prices have gotten so crazy and the appearance that the used market is waning that this would all be a hindrance; but on the other hand, there are plenty of deep pockets in NYC and the stock market is skyrocketing.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I feel audiogon is dead too. I also find it quite interesting that you are selling so many pricey systems, and good for you. I thought exactly because the prices have gotten so crazy and the appearance that the used market is waning that this would all be a hindrance; but on the other hand, there are plenty of deep pockets in NYC and the stock market is skyrocketing.

Six out of 11 are in NYC:) The other five are spread across the US as I have many lines where I am the only source in the US. The thing is to a lot of customers a $100K gets eaten up very quickly with a $75K pair of speakers, an integrated and a source/cables etc.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
The thing is to a lot of customers a $100K gets eaten up very quickly with a $75K pair of speakers, an integrated and a source/cables etc.

Yes, true.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have often heard that the Asian market is driving sale prices. Is this true and if so what valid theories are behind it?

I think that was the case, but anymore I think because of the internet/forums/shows it is now really a global market. BUT no doubt the Asian market is a driving force for high end audio.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
BUT no doubt the Asian market is a driving force for high end audio.

I have been told the same by the local dealers in the area; I've also been told they are driving the sonic requirements as well, at least to some degree.

Reactions: Rhapsody

IanG-UK

Apr 11, 2011
It is no surprise that, worldwide, more systems are bought in the €100k - €400k range than in the €10k - €40k range.

However, I suspect that it is almost certainly the case, in the UK, that the volume of stereo audio reproduction systems priced at under €10k makes up over 95% of the market by volume. Admittedly the shift from turnable/amplifier/speakers to phone or pod or pad/headphones will have been massive but the price slot they fall in will be unchanged.

And you can now get fantastic conventional hifi for c£2k which you might have had to spend a lot more on, a generation ago.

Over the same period, the worldwide super-rich population has increased materially and the impressiveness of a €200k system in one's home is radically different to that of a €20k one. Aurally, yes, and visually, for sure.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I have been told the same by the local dealers in the area; I've also been told they are driving the sonic requirements as well, at least to some degree.

The one observation in my experience is five years ago almost any used gear that I had a hard time selling in the US went somewhere in Asia without much fanfare. That has pretty much STOPPED.

Loheswaran

Dec 19, 2014
It may be the bizarre anomaly that those who are well-heeled don't stress and just spend. The middle income people may feel the financial pressure more and don't spend around their 'affordable' level

Reactions: the sound of Tao

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
It may be the bizarre anomaly that those who are well-heeled don't stress and just spend. The middle income people may feel the financial pressure more and don't spend around their 'affordable' level

Yep, my experience is that it's no big deal to those with a lot of $$$. Spending on audio is usually part of a new room/house along with a LOT of other items.

When someone has to decide between a new amplifier or a car....well???

Reactions: XV-1

PeterA

Dec 6, 2011
USA
Pretty much all of the larger sales and most of them are full system sales and are sold at list price basically because all of these people have a LOT of $$$. Several of them live in $50M+ townhouses in NYC, actually four of them out of the 11 do.

I don't think ANY of them read audio forums. Most are VERY successful people that have a LOT going on. They all have one thing in common, they DO love to listen to music. They don't really care much about the equipment other than when choosing their system that will fit their environment.

Half of these people have designers/architects/assistants that are also involved.

Any turntable sales, Bob? And do you see a commonality between the systems that they are buying besides the cost? Congratulations on your success.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing