More room choices than I know what to do with!

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
I’ll keep this in mind. Certainly if I go this route I’ll have the space to support something like a pair of small RELs (sorry, no single subs for me).

My plan includes replacing the floor with a cork floor. I’ve been in rooms that have a cork floor. I like the effect better than adding a rug, and it will pick up less dust.

tony22

Nov 4, 2019
Additional observations.

The room being discussed in the last few posts, with the angled walls, has a couple of things that trouble me. First, it has one exterior sidewall and one interior sidewall. Second, right outside where the right speaker would be is my 5 ton AC compressor. It’s relatively quiet, as far as compressors go, but it still comes through as a persistent droning when it’s running. By comparison, the other room is about 6 dB lower in ambient noise when the AC is running. From that perspective it seems like this other room would be a better starting point.

Now, I guess in the angle wall room I could rip out all the wallboard, replace with with 5/8” acoustic wallboard (like from CertainTeed or Acoustical Surfaces), and put sound isolators in the window wells. But would that be enough to mitigate the wall differences, and eliminate the drone from the AC compressor?

While this would get me the largest space, it just seems like it has more starting obstacles in the way of getting good sound when I’m done.

Cellcbern

VIP/Donor
Jul 30, 2015
Washington, DC
There is an alternative approach (Delta Design's ZR Acoustics panels) used increasingly by recording and mastering studios which may render room modes and bass traps irrelevant. See my posts of my test of these panels and the following links (note that each link is different):

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing