Most beautiful jazz ballad ever played......

assessor43

Nov 1, 2018
Lee Morgan Volume 3

I believe the track is called I Remember Clifford. One of my favorites.

APP

Oct 1, 2014

But even better is his version on the album; " The Melody alone at knight with you"

Reactions: Vienna

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Thanks to all who are contributing on this thread. I am not a huge jazz fan—prefering melodic songs I can follow. Really improvisational tracks often leave me scratching my head thinking “play something you know” and “go practice somewhere else.”

But well recorded ballads are a favorite, and jazz ballads can really touch the soul. I look forward to listening to all the cuts mentioned here.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Bobvin

You might wish to try Oscar Peterson who did numerous jazz albums dedicated to: Gershwin, Rodgers & Hammerstein, West Side Story, etc. Listening to these, you get jazz but where he has remained recognizeably faithful to the original tunes. Sometimes you get jazz which is such an abstract of the original tune, that the original tune is unrecognizeable. Not so here. If you like Bernstein, Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter...or at least want to hear jazz where you can easily recognize the underlying original tunes, you might give a few a try.

He actually did one album per composer which also helps in case you happen to like one of these.

Reactions: Bobvin

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Hi Bobvin

You might wish to try Oscar Peterson who did numerous jazz albums dedicated to: Gershwin, Rodgers & Hammerstein, West Side Story, etc. Listening to these, you get jazz but where he has remained recognizeably faithful to the original tunes. Sometimes you get jazz which is such an abstract of the original tune, that the original tune is unrecognizeable. Not so here. If you like Bernstein, Gershwin, Jerome Kern, Rodgers & Hammerstein, Irving Berlin, Cole Porter...or at least want to hear jazz where you can easily recognize the underlying original tunes, you might give a few a try.

He actually did one album per composer which also helps in case you happen to like one of these.

If there's only 1 jazz musician I'm taking to a desert island, it's Oscar (with apologies to John Coltrane). The albums you mentioned are all wonderful indeed. Oscar's playing is reason alone to believe there is a God.

Reactions: musicfirst1

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
Yes, Oscar deserves better recognition. Maybe cause he wasn't part of the US Jazz scene of the mid 20th century (he spent much of his time in Europe), but I put him in my top three Jazz Pianists EVER. That he wasn't mentioned in the Ken Burn's JAZZ doc is, well, just sad...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...super glad to be reading this! I have over 20 CDs of his! Listening to him right now! Complete coincidence by the way! Hi My Fair Lady/Porgy & Bess/Fiorello album...24-bit remastered CD....

Oscar Peterson - My Fair Lady.jpg

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I love Oscar Peterson.... but for ballad playing on the piano Bill Evans is still my number one;
After Oscar Peterson, I probably have more Bill Evans albums next. Brubeck following that. Then a mix of probably 10 artists with 5-7 albums each.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
After Oscar Peterson, I probably have more Bill Evans albums next. Brubeck following that. Then a mix of probably 10 artists with 5-7 albums each.
To me, Bill Evans is impeccable & irreplaceable.
I own nearly all versions of silver discs of albums of him.
SACD versions are the best sonic performers for sure.

My breakfast today :

20200913_084329~3.jpg

musicfirst1

VIP/Donor
Mar 8, 2015
Canada
www.musicfirstdistribution.ca
To me, Bill Evans is impeccable & irreplaceable.
I own nearly all versions of silver discs of albums of him.
SACD versions are the best sonic performers for sure.

My breakfast today :

View attachment 69269
CK
I agree the Analog Productions masters are Epic. Can you recommend masterings of the other sets of the Village Vanguard recordings?

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
All reissues of Analogue Productions are of outstanding quality. They often can get very early masters and the remastering/production is by experts and done meticulously.
Very very safe choices.

However it's fun to persue the rarer Japan domestic market limited editions/versions.
The sacd market is still very active in Japan and the music lovers there have taste!
There are a lot of treasures to discover , such as the single-layer SHM-SACD version (the right-sided one) on #33.

Treasure hunts does give hits & fits. Some brands are to be considered carefully before taking our credit cards out, such as the sacd reissues from Tower Records Japan branch.
They have very good taste in selecting music for sacd reissue but the sonics is very often mediocre.

Please surf the Japanese webshops of Tower Records and HMV.
Great fun!

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Both Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans have albums available on 15ips 2 track tapes. They were a series of six albums that OP did in Germany for MPS Records in the mid-sixties under the general title "Exclusively for My Friends." The individual albums were titled Action, Girl Talk, Mellow Mood, My Favorite Instrument, The Way I Really Play, and Travellin' On. The tapes I purchased from Horch House were copies of the master tapes that they made under an agreement with MPS. This was back in 2014. I have another OP album on 15ips 2 track tape. That album is entitled Night Train.

Bill Evans famed Waltz for Debby was one of the first 10 releases by the Tape Project, copies made from a one-inch running master taken from the original master tape by Paul Stubblebine. The music is wonderful and the atmospherics of the Village Vanguard, with clinking glasses, etc. makes you feel that you are there. In addition to that tape, I was fortunate to get the companion album, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, which is shown above as a safety master tape. The Waltz for Debby is still available through the Tape Project.

Larry

Reactions: APP and CKKeung

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Both Oscar Peterson and Bill Evans have albums available on 15ips 2 track tapes. They were a series of six albums that OP did in Germany for MPS Records in the mid-sixties under the general title "Exclusively for My Friends." The individual albums were titled Action, Girl Talk, Mellow Mood, My Favorite Instrument, The Way I Really Play, and Travellin' On. The tapes I purchased from Horch House were copies of the master tapes that they made under an agreement with MPS. This was back in 2014. I have another OP album on 15ips 2 track tape. That album is entitled Night Train.

Bill Evans famed Waltz for Debby was one of the first 10 releases by the Tape Project, copies made from a one-inch running master taken from the original master tape by Paul Stubblebine. The music is wonderful and the atmospherics of the Village Vanguard, with clinking glasses, etc. makes you feel that you are there. In addition to that tape, I was fortunate to get the companion album, Sunday at the Village Vanguard, which is shown above as a safety master tape. The Waltz for Debby is still available through the Tape Project.

Larry
Great stuff...the MPS recordings were among the earlier Oscar Peterson albums we bought...incredibly well recorded/mastered. Night Train was the very first Oscar Peterson album! As Waltz for Debby for Bill Evans. Just picked up Evans in England which was recorded live at Ronnie Scotts Jazz Club in London.

Reactions: astrotoy

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Oscar was a big fan of Bill Evans and I believe Bill had tremendous respect for Oscar as well.

APP

Oct 1, 2014
Here is a brand new album that I have been enjoying this weekend it is an intimate and very melodic solo album from Toots Thielemans' pianist Mike Del Ferro.
Superbly well recorded. Highly recommended and on introduction offer at this moment.
Skylark - Mike del Ferro

"In my mind's ear I hear my ideal piano sound. It’s a round, dark and full sound, with a singing quality. It's almost like a symphony orchestra hidden inside the piano, able to produce as many musical colours as possible. The danger with the piano is that if you don’t take care of your touch, it can sound very harsh and mechanical while with the right touch, dynamics and intention you can make a simple triad sound like an orchestra."

Reactions: CKKeung

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing