MQA Declares Bankruptcy

Vinyl Rules!

Oct 14, 2018
https://www.musicbusinessworldwide.com/high-res-music-tech-company-mqa-enters-administration-in-the-uk/#:~:text=High-resolution music technology company,the US and other countries.

The financials are eye-opening. Annual revenue never exceeded £700,000 while administrative expenses exceeded £4,000,000 for 2020 and 2021!

Does anyone think Bob Stuart took this much money out of the company?

Wow. So MQA has become another Dolby FM technology. But then, many in the industry thought MQA was a scam.:cool:

Reactions: christoph and adyc

marmota

Feb 3, 2016
Good riddance. Schiit was right when they said this:

MQA was just a glorified form of mp3-esque compression. I hope it never comes back and accepts it faith and logical destiny since the beginning: become forgotten like DAT and HDCD.

Reactions: Al M. and analyzer

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
It can lie in the grave with Stuarts other dead format - DVD Audio.

Reactions: marmota

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
Good riddance. Schiit was right when they said this:

MQA was just a glorified form of mp3-esque compression. I hope it never comes back and accepts it faith and logical destiny since the beginning: become forgotten like DAT and HDCD.

I have always had great respect for Schiit to stick to their guns on this one -- and being right in the end and keeping their integrity. The folding (intended pun) of other reputable DAC companies on this issue has left a bad taste in my mouth.

And guess what, business by Schiit has not suffered, on the contrary, they keep expanding.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

sbnx

Mar 28, 2017
I don't wish ill will on them but I will be happy that everyone can stop discussing MQA. All of these digital machinations people are going after when most systems haven't even come close to demonstrating what 16/44.1 can do.

Reactions: MPS and djsina2

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston
when most systems haven't even come close to demonstrating what 16/44.1 can do.

Yes, that is my experience as well.

Reactions: Pokey77 and djsina2

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
Old news

mtemur

Mar 26, 2019
I don’t think MQA couldn’t survive because it sounds bad. There are many unusefull shitty examples that survived. For example Dolby B and C which sound terrible but still can be found on every cassette deck including walkmans.

BTW I’m not a fan of MQA and I don’t use it.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Oh, what a tangled web we weave when first we practice to deceive. (Sunday school)

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
"MQA was not a solution in search of a problem, it was a problem in search of money".

This may sound clever, but does it make any sense?

• Haha
Reactions: b345t and XV-1

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
The mods here should really change the title of the thread to "enters Administration in the UK." They have not, in fact, declared bankruptcy.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
This may sound clever, but does it make any sense?
Ron, I’ve looked at all the publicly available financial statements for Meridian and MQA Ltd. They tell me Bob Stuart was searching for money and a royalty stream.

See Dear Jim Austin Audio Asylum Critics Corner for a short summary.

Lee

Feb 3, 2011
Alpharetta, Georgia
Ron, I’ve looked at all the publicly available financial statements for Meridian and MQA Ltd. They tell me Bob Stuart was searching for money and a royalty stream.

See Dear Jim Austin Audio Asylum Critics Corner for a short summary.
My understanding is that the 2021 statements don't reflect the benefit of some new licensing agreements that have come online.

Rt66indierock

Jul 1, 2022
The mods here should really change the title of the thread to "enters Administration in the UK." They have not, in fact, declared bankruptcy.
Please explain to us the difference between entering administration in the UK and Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in the US.

Reactions: QuadDiffuser

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing