MQA, Worse than FLAC?

The best thing about MQA is not to buy or subscript to any products which support MQA, hardware or software.

Matt

The best thing about MQA is not to buy or subscript to any products which support MQA, hardware or software.

Matt
I am not willing to go that far. I think they should just be honest. It appears there are valid reasons for liking it.
If you require lossless,..then you know. I definitely see the efficacy of a hardware manufactures wanting to make there product compatible with all available formats. For instance I would not want a product that is incompatible with mp3.

Which is the bigger market share?
1. People who will not buy because it has MQA
2. People who will not buy because it lacks MQA

I suspect #2 is larger. but both are a small portion of the total market. Most of us who don't support MQA do not feel strongly enough to boycott a product that has it. Schiit, Chord, Benchmark, etc. customers don't care that it's missing.

Last edited:
Sure, but I want to buy the product I consider the most suitable for my tastes and budget. I don't care that it has a feature I don't need.
At least for my taste the companies without MQA support like Schiit, Linn, Lejonklou are offering better audio devices.

Matt

Last edited:
My Marantz AVR supports Spotify which I do not intend to use.

Last edited:
My Marantz are supports Spotify which I do not intend to use.
What is your point, have you read the Linn paper, btw?
Thanks

Matt

Last edited:
What is your point, have you read the Linn paper, btw?
Thanks

Matt
Sorry, it should have been " Marantz AVR receiver."
My point is just because your hardware supports software you don't care for does not disqualify it.
No I have not read the "Linn paper." I would if you could refer me to it.

...Sounds like a classic capitalist monopoly.

...Sounds like a classic capitalist monopoly.

Yes, the background of MQA is not a lossy audio codec nice to have as an additional feature on a new device.
It is all about gaining of money, power and control with the intention to replace the original file with the MQA version.

Matt

Last edited:
But then we cpuld say that about the recording industry as a whole.
Digital was an attempt to sell us music we already had in a different format.

But then we cpuld say that about the recording industry as a whole.
Digital was an attempt to sell us music we already had in a different format.
Completely different.
In this case you can go back to the original format.
No control, no royalties, no MQA.
MQA is really bad for music.

Matt

I respectfully disagree.
When I get a chance I'll post the book you should read.

IMO/IME? MQA is not worth the time to even bother with it. YMMV.

Tom

Reactions: matthias

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing