MQA, Worse than FLAC?

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
Sorry but when I'm in my listening room, thinking about what MQA has done to the music is not a concern of mine. All I care about is how it sounds. If I like a MQA recording over a non MQA recording, the MQA is better for me. If I don't, the non MQA recording is better for me. It is really that simple.
Fair enough. But I support those like GoldenOne, The Computer Audiophile and Archimago, trying to prevent the shady MQA group from taking over the recorded music industry.

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Fair enough. But I support those like GoldenOne, The Computer Audiophile and Archimago, trying to prevent the shady MQA group from taking over the recorded music industry.
It is usually in favour of the society to have a vigilante group to keep the checks and balances in place. I fully support the work they do. Let's also remember that there are audio listeners/ music enthusiasts/ audiophiles who simply enjoy the sound of it, including those who are fully aware of MQA's imperfections or the fact that it is indeed a lossy format.

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
It is usually in favour of the society to have a vigilante group to keep the checks and balances in place. I fully support the work they do. Let's also remember that there are audio listeners/ music enthusiasts/ audiophiles who simply enjoy the sound of it, including those who are fully aware of MQA's imperfections or the fact that it is indeed a lossy format.
Vigilante has strong connotations. I don't think there's been any violence yet. ;)

I have little experience with MQA, but my opinion after limited exposure is that it sounds overly processed. I know some think it's great.

The obvious concern is the reach they are trying to achieve. They list the following on their website: Streaming Services, Broadcast, HD Video, Live Streaming, Media Players, Download Service, MQA-CD. Each step before I hear MQA music in my home must add some level of extra cost in licensing and equipment, plus the potential for DRM. Playing MQA on gear that lacks MQA capability results in less than Redbook fidelity.

There are several companies like Chord, Benchmark, Schiit, etc., who are anti-MQA and for good reason, IMO. Other companies don't like MQA but are pressured by the market to offer it. I own two systems that are MQA capable but I don't trust MQA's motives, I don't believe it is superior to CD let alone hi-res digital, and I sincerely hope that it fails.

Last edited:
Reactions: GSOphile

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I must say the MQA debate is really comical to me. I have yet to find anything that says I have to listen to MQA or any format for that matter. If I listen to something and don't like it, I move on.

I remember being at a music store and this guy was raving how bad MQA was. I asked him what he was using to listen to MQA. He said Roon, PS Audio, and Tidal. I told him since he hated MQA so much why not just disable it in Roon and/or switch to Qobuz. Seemed like a simple answer to his problem. Well no he really just wanted me to agree with him about MQA. After I didn't agree with him he started going into how it was a sham. I mentioned again to him just listen to non MQA material.

Maybe in my "Audiophile" days a certain format would cause me heartburn. I'm glad I left those days over a decade ago.

Just my 2 cents of wisdom before taxes. After taxes it closer to zero cents. :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Well just to recap the op side stepped the issue of the relative quality of mqa. The point is whether mqa is writing checks it could not cash. Of course you have freedom of choice for what you like or don't like.
The question I raised is should you pay for something you don't get? Assuming of coursemqa charges a premium.

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
Aside from Tidal, where are MQA files found. Can they be purchased by download?

RikkiPoo

Nov 4, 2020
The inventory at the L2 shop is pretty limited. Amazon has a lot, I was surprised and impressed at what they have. I noticed several of the MQA offerings list 24 bit remastering and UHQCD with MQA

Does this mean they went back to the original master tape and used a 24 bit ADC and then applied their MQA correction to the 24 bit ADC? and then used the UHQCD to manufacture the CD?

Any opinions on the UHQCD CD's.

Can a MQA file be offered in a DSD format?

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Vigilante has strong connotations. I don't think there's been any violence yet. ;)

I have little experience with MQA, but my opinion after limited exposure is that it sounds overly processed. I know some think it's great.

The obvious concern is the reach they are trying to achieve. They list the following on their website: Streaming Services, Broadcast, HD Video, Live Streaming, Media Players, Download Service, MQA-CD. Each step before I hear MQA music in my home must add some level of extra cost in licensing and equipment, plus the potential for DRM. Playing MQA on gear that lacks MQA capability results in less than Redbook fidelity.

There are several companies like Chord, Benchmark, Schiit, etc., who are anti-MQA and for good reason, IMO. Other companies don't like MQA but are pressured by the market to offer it. I own two systems that are MQA capable but I don't trust MQA's motives, I don't believe it is superior to CD let alone hi-res digital, and I sincerely hope that it fails.

PS
For lack of a better word I used vigilante, I do understand that it may have a strong, often pejorative connotation, but I used it in a neutral context. It conveys message well.

On top of Tidal, there are a few online stores offering songs or albums in MQA format such as:
Amazon,

rando

Sep 22, 2019
For lack of a better word I used vigilante, I do understand that it may have a strong, often pejorative connotation, but I used it in a neutral context. It conveys message well.

Outlaw Audiophile is a term which gained rapid use on AS as momentum leading to the attack on MQA grew.

It was pointed out to me coinage arrived during the birth of print audiophile outlets (mailing groups included) depicting ideas in sharp contrast with lies being sold to consumers* through advertising. They were small bands treated as outlaws and undesirables by the established authorities. So the term fit.

Edited to add

* Modern impetus was LH Labs continued efforts to convince past investors to contribute in another round of funding. Not MQA.

Last edited:

Kal Rubinson

May 4, 2010
NYC
www.stereophile.com

AMR / iFi audio

Industry Expert
Aug 21, 2019
UK
ifi-audio.com
Outlaw Audiophile is a term which gained rapid use on AS as momentum leading to the attack on MQA grew.

It was pointed out to me coinage arrived during the birth of print audiophile outlets (mailing groups included) depicting ideas in sharp contrast with lies being sold to consumers* through advertising. They were small bands treated as outlaws and undesirables by the established authorities. So the term fit.

Edited to add

* Modern impetus was LH Labs continued efforts to convince past investors to contribute in another round of funding. Not MQA.
Interesting info! Outlaw Audiophile - regardless of the connotation, it's got a nice ring to it.

Reactions: rando

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I just noted a disclaimer for mqa.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing