Mr. Yoav Geva has left YG Acoustics

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Interesting that you had such an experience.

I had a similar experience with Alon too, more that a decade ago; I was enthusiastically looking forward to meeting him and listening to his products, when he visited my country. Well, good products, but way, way below par people skills. Since then, Magico has been a brand off my list.
Agree totally--I too wore the brunt of a rude episode with Mr Wolf--I'd never met the guy before ,I'd not uttered a word at the demo--but he must have

decided I did not look like a mega $$$$$$ customer taking up one of the seats :( and he told me to vacate his world immediately:oops:!

Rather than risk being manhandled out the door by his security hovering --I left quietly .

Was a good move in the long run though--like with him--I avoid his products--never own any nor recommend em!:mad:!

BruceD

tobiasrankin

Mar 7, 2020
Agree totally--I too wore the brunt of a rude episode with Mr Wolf--I'd never met the guy before ,I'd not uttered a word at the demo--but he must have

decided I did not look like a mega $$$$$$ customer taking up one of the seats :( and he told me to vacate his world immediately:oops:!

Rather than risk being manhandled out the door by his security hovering --I left quietly .

Was a good move in the long run though--like with him--I avoid his products--never own any nor recommend em!:mad:!

BruceD

Sorry what happened exactly? He just didn't like the way you looked and told you to leave?

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Sorry what happened exactly? He just didn't like the way you looked and told you to leave?
Well cannot think of any other reason frankly?-- I sat down and others were filing in and sitting down in the room

--probably had 10/15 seated or milling about to sit

--he came straight over to me and said leave the room now--I looked around and he didn't ask anyone else present!-just humble old me!

Like I said I left quietly I wasn't going to spoil my day with any confrontational issues that may have eventuated had I stayed put.

Doesn't matter -Magico and his ilk--not on my watch anyway.

BruceD

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
It's a moot point as to the extent we should judge a loudspeaker by the personality of its designer, but my own limited experience of meeting Alon Woolf rather mirrors those posted earlier.
I attended a dealer demo of the then new entry level Magico floorstander which was partnered with a DCS Bartok, Brinkman tt and high end UK valve amplifiers.
They sounded capable if not outstanding and no doubt benefitted from the partnering equipment. They were demonstrated using a digital file.
After a break I approached Alon who was with Ricardo of Absolute Sounds to ask if I could hear them with an SACD. Alon was very reluctant to accede to my request but Ricardo persuaded him to agree and we listened to an SACD from K J Leisure Sounds selection in the listening room and they sounded just as good as with the digital file.
In contrast, when two or three years ago I was catching up with Dick Diamond of YG Acoustics at Munich I had a much more enjoyable experience. We were sat at a small table in their exhibition room chatting when after about 10 minutes he asked me if I would like to meet Yoav. Unbeknown to me he was sat immediately behind me and I was duly introduced to him. We chatted for about 10 minutes and it was very enjoyable indeed. I found him to be a very natural and friendly person. Open and transparent with no great ego on display. If I needed any reinforcement of my high regard for YG speakers,which I didn't, it was there in plenty.
We invest a lot of money in our systems and they become an ever available friend to entertain or sooth us as the occasion demands and in consequence I am sure we develop an emotional bond with them. It is comforting when we have a positive experience with designers of our kit. That said it is important to judge the product as objectively as possible, but when the stars align between the designer, and in this case the speakers, it's a good feeling.

kimurastanley

Mar 16, 2019
Singapore
Haven’t met with designer of magico or YG in person. However, I did exchange some emails with Dick Diamond last year about Carmel 2. He appeared to be sincere and helpful in questions I posted to him.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Well cannot think of any other reason frankly?-- I sat down and others were filing in and sitting down in the room

--probably had 10/15 seated or milling about to sit

--he came straight over to me and said leave the room now--I looked around and he didn't ask anyone else present!-just humble old me!

Like I said I left quietly I wasn't going to spoil my day with any confrontational issues that may have eventuated had I stayed put.

Doesn't matter -Magico and his ilk--not on my watch anyway.

BruceD
You're much more polite than me. I would have knocked him to the floor.

Al M.

VIP/Donor
Sep 10, 2013
Greater Boston

I would have gotten into a loud shouting match with him. Seriously. But that's just me.

(Would not have been the first time in a situation that maddened me. I know you should be polite and diplomatic, but sometimes people deserve public escalation.)

BruceD

VIP/Donor
Dec 13, 2013
Umm Howie--and tangle with Mossad :oops: --!

To close this conversation off, let me say --I visited the room with two well dressed friends (as I was )
Yep I WAS the only one he booted out!--my friends protested but I told them to stay and listen as we all had travelled Continents to the show.

Still puzzled to this day--ah well life goes on-

Back to the YG topic Gents

BruceD

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I purchased my Carmels in April 2012. I was doing some business in Denver about 18 months later...rang up Dick Diamond (a great guy who I'd had conversations with regarding placement) and asked if I might stop by the YG factory for a look. He hooked me up with Yoav who gave me a top-to-bottom personal tour (from the blank aluminum billets to crating). Even provided me an extended listen to the new Sonja line (series 1, prior to their official release in the coming months). We listened to some music and talked about a variety of things.

All this for a guy who bought in at the entry level and just liked their product. It definitely made an impression. I too have seen what I thought was unprovoked rudeness and condescension from some of the big industry names at Axpona over the years.

If I'm spending my hard-earned bucks on high-end audio (or any product), the people behind the brand matter to me. I wouldn't hesitate to put any products associated with Yoav or Dick on my list for consideration. Same with Benno Meldgaard.

Still loving my Carmels.

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
Really nice to hear positive impressions of Yoav, Dick and YG generally. For me, YG’s ability to pass on the sound from upstream source, component, network and cabling changes, with seemingly limitless headroom, makes this pursuit so enjoyable.

I share @ptman and others’ sentiments. I must have spoken to Dick a dozen times over the phone (he picked up every time) before my Carmel 2 purchase and then again 3 years later before the Haileys. He answered every question, candidly, patiently, technically.

I am wishing YG the best going forward (and Yoav of course) and hope that their slated improvements continue to push the envelope and build on such a great legacy.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
Umm Howie--and tangle with Mossad :oops: --!

To close this conversation off, let me say --I visited the room with two well dressed friends (as I was )
Yep I WAS the only one he booted out!--my friends protested but I told them to stay and listen as we all had travelled Continents to the show.

Still puzzled to this day--ah well life goes on-

Back to the YG topic Gents

BruceD
Unbelievable :mad:

Reactions: BruceD and Golum

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
there are some crusty characters in hifi, but i'm not sure that would effect my purchasing decisions.

i will say the YG guys have always been fantastic. as is Vince with MSB, Jtinn with Dart/EA, etc.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
there are some crusty characters in hifi, but i'm not sure that would effect my purchasing decisions.
I would never buy something from someone treating me like that.
No matter how good it is. NEVER EVER! :mad:

HenryD

Aug 29, 2020
I set in on many Magico presentations at shows over the years, never encountered any discomfort.
I also visited Magico a couple of years ago and had a lovely time touring their facility, and then with Mr. Wolf himself demoing their system for me for over an hour. I personally, as a YG owner, would be (and actually was) more dismay by YG leaving YG after he sold it than any peripheral incident I may have at a presentation.

Reactions: ctydwn

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
I would never buy something from someone treating me like that.
No matter how good it is. NEVER EVER! :mad:
Thanks God you anyhow find those ear pinching :p

• Haha
Reactions: christoph

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I've personally sat in Magico demonstrations at maybe 3 or 4 shows (CES, Munich, Rocky Mountain, Axpona etc) a year for the last 10 years. 3-4 years prior to becoming a Magico dealer.

In 80% of those shows Alon was managing the playlists and the room. We are talking 30-40 shows here and I was in the rooms for probably 2-3 hours during each show. I NEVER once saw Alon react negatively to one person in any of the rooms.

I'm not commenting because I represent Magico and am proud to so so and proud to represent Alon as well. I am making my comment as I have first hand experienced the Magico rooms and the picture that the lynch mob here is presenting here does not mirror what I sat and experienced over a ten year period at many shows.

Golum

Jun 7, 2018
Lausanne, CH
...the lynch mob here is presenting...
“a crowd of people who kill or try to kill (someone) illegally as a punishment.” - do you seriously believe they try to punish anyone for anything except stating their first hand experience like you stated yours?

Reactions: christoph

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
“a crowd of people who kill or try to kill (someone) illegally as a punishment.” - do you seriously believe they try to punish anyone for anything except stating their first hand experience like you stated yours?
BruceD is the only one person that stated his first hand experience. I am referring to the 10 other people who were not there during this claimed experience, but have jumped in to crucify Alon. That is who I am referring to, NOT the one person who made his assertion.

Rhapsody

VIP/Donor
Jan 16, 2013
Brooklyn NY
Rhapsody.Audio
I also would like to at the next show that BruceD attends where Magico is presenting and Alon is present for BruceD to stop by and discuss his experience face-to-face with Alon and myself.

I know Alon, he would NEVER just go up to someone that was in the room and tell them to leave for no reason at all. There may have been something going on that BruceD was not aware of, ie, a reviewer session or something and maybe Alon in his way asked BruceD to leave. I believe there was some type of mis-communication. Alon never would just tell someone to leave the room for no reason, under any circumstances.

I would invite BruceD to meet face-to-face with Alon and myself to discuss his experience at the next show that we all attend together. Something went on and it's too bad that BruceD had this experience, but I really believe that there is more to the situation. It just does not make sense.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing