MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
The Diamond Select seems to be just a tweaked version of Diamond IV Plus+Galaxy clock+Diamond Powerbase only.

DAC is evolving so fast during the recent several years as a result of the thriving CAS. There are now many flagship grade DACs in the market : dCS Vivaldi; Trinity; CH Precision C1; Da Vinci; Gryphon Pandora; Totaldac D1-Dual ...etc.

Can the MSB Diamond Select remains competitive?

Forget technology. They just figured out there are some folks that feel better spending $60k for a dac than $40k, especially since the competition is hitting this price mark, so you need a product to cater to this segment. All we need are some reviewers and no compromise users to declare this unit the new top dog.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Anyway, this new MSB DAC will probably give John Atkinson an opportunity to reappraise the comments he made about the MSB Diamond in the Marantz Reference NA-11S1 Network Audio Player review. ;)

Wasn't that John Atkinson, who declared that Classe CT-M600 monoblocks sound almost as good as anything out there ?

It only confirms, that the term 'almost' may have a very different meaning to different people.

With all due respect to JA, but I stopped reading any of his source components / amps reviews. It seems that MF has much more experience with the current Stare-of-the-art digital than JA does. Which, if you think about this, is kind of funny !

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Forget technology. They just figured out there are some folks that feel better spending $60k for a dac than $40k, especially since the competition is hitting this price mark, so you need a product to cater to this segment. All we need are some reviewers and no compromise users to declare this unit the new top dog.

+1

There are many audiophiles that will not even consider evaluating a component unless the price is high enough. At $60k MSRP, it will look much more like a contender to similarly priced Trinity DAC or $110k Vivaldi stack ($70k sans transport).

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal

Can you consider that they found that an higher budget could allow them to pick up selected components and use more expensive technologies to reduce noise? After all, it is mainly what the people at Trinity do in their DAC to reach high performance. MSB are a known manufacturer with a good reputation, do you think that they will risk jeopardizing it making a more expensive and equal sounding, although less bloody ;), top version of their DAC?

IMHO, if there is space in the market place for a more expensive unit some one should try to use this money to improve the SOTA. And until now, the cases where more money resulted in an inferior or equal unit in manufacturer catalogs are mainly exceptions, and quickly disappear without any trace, except for a few unhappy and angry buyers.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Can you consider that they found that an higher budget could allow them to pick up selected components and use more expensive technologies to reduce noise? After all, it is mainly what the people at Trinity do in their DAC to reach high performance. MSB are a known manufacturer with a good reputation, do you think that they will risk jeopardizing it making a more expensive and equal sounding, although less bloody ;), top version of their DAC?

IMHO, if there is space in the market place for a more expensive unit some one should try to use this money to improve the SOTA. And until now, the cases where more money resulted in an inferior or equal unit in manufacturer catalogs are mainly exceptions, and quickly disappear without any trace, except for a few unhappy and angry buyers.

Agree.

I think our comments are tongue in cheek. Many manufacturers do EXACTLY the same. EMM DAC2X a perfect example at 2x the price.

Plus many on these threads throw around best or better than without really comparing apples to apples.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
IMO what MSB should do is enable Ethernet streaming in their DACs. IMO the Ethernet connection is superior to USB, if only because it is isolated by design. THAT would be a serious upgrade.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
IMO what MSB should do is enable Ethernet streaming in their DACs. IMO the Ethernet connection is superior to USB, if only because it is isolated by design. THAT would be a serious upgrade.

Well I would recommend you try their UMT+ with the galaxy clock in your DAC as that is exactly what it does.

No doubt the best sound possible out of an MSB

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Well I would recommend you try their UMT+ with the galaxy clock in your DAC as that is exactly what it does.

Both bits would start life travelling as packets over ethernet, and be converted to I2S at some point. Other than that - different architeture. Having the steaming capability build into the DAC would be a more direct signal path. An ethernet interface card for the MSB DAC would be the functional equivalent to PS Audio's bridge - which turned out to be a very difficult piece of engineering.

No doubt the best sound possible out of an MSB

I would not make that assertion without trying the (forthcoming) Blue Smoke USB to I2S pro converter. I see not technical reason why it could not be better. Only an A/B comparison will tell.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

I am a MSB user and all along admire their products very much.
Hope that Diamond Select's USD20k increase in price over a Diamond IV Plus+Galaxy clock+USB can be justified by a significant sonic improvement.
Is Diamond Select now the most expensive DAC in the market?

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
Both bits would start life travelling as packets over ethernet, and be converted to I2S at some point. Other than that - different architeture. Having the steaming capability build into the DAC would be a more direct signal path. An ethernet interface card for the MSB DAC would be the functional equivalent to PS Audio's bridge - which turned out to be a very difficult piece of engineering.

I would not make that assertion without trying the (forthcoming) Blue Smoke USB to I2S pro converter. I see not technical reason why it could not be better. Only an A/B comparison will tell.

Until it is a "product" the UMT+ remains the best I have heard from the MSB.

The issue comparing with BlueSmoke will be how each buffers and clocks which I am assuming the BlueSmoke will (and hope) it does.

I hope the BlueSmoke turns out to be what they claim. We obviously have similar wants. I was just making a comment "at this time"

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The issue comparing with BlueSmoke will be how each buffers and clocks which I am assuming the BlueSmoke will (and hope) it does.

In each case (UMT+ and Blue Smoke) those transport / converters are clocked from the MSB DAC via I2S Pro input, so the clocking point should be moot.

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
In each case (UMT+ and Blue Smoke) those transport / converters are clocked from the MSB DAC via I2S Pro input, so the clocking point should be moot.

That is correct. My comment was really about buffering. My understanding is that BlueSmoke is using an MSB ProI2s card. How they handle the data we will see??

I just got the UMT+ for an evaluation and am thrilled with the comparison to my server with LightHarmonics USB cable. Best I have heard my Diamond Plus sound.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
+1

There are many audiophiles that will not even consider evaluating a component unless the price is high enough. At $60k MSRP, it will look much more like a contender to similarly priced Trinity DAC or $110k Vivaldi stack ($70k sans transport).

It is a sad, but all too true, state of affairs in the world of high performance audio. Sometimes the more unattainable a product appears because of its lofty price tag the more units one can sell.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Very interesting!!

Any idea on price?

It is designed & made by the Swiss branch of ReQuest Audio so shall not be cheap!
Maybe Wizard can have some info on its price.

The current model looks simpler than the prototype shown in hifi shows last year.
The prototype in Swiss ReQuest Audio website seems to be for home theatre use: http://www.requestaudio.com/index.php?id=77

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
How about the 'The Beast' from ReQuest Audio?
Wizard wrote a post on it a few days ago : http://cybwiz.blogspot.hk/2014/01/request-audio-beast-luxury-music-server.html

It seems to be a Linux computer/ripper/server with a MSB IV series dac board.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. It uses a board designed by MSB, which looks like an AnalogDAC equivalent. The Beast's aluminium box is killer looking though !

I have the image of that board somwhere on my desktop computer.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
Unfortunately, it doesn't. It uses a board designed by MSB, which looks like an AnalogDAC equivalent. The Beast's aluminium box is killer looking though !

I have the image of that board somwhere on my desktop computer.

Hi Adam,

Please share that circuit board photo with us.
Thanks a lot!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing