MSB Diamond DAC IV Reviewed By Stereophile

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL
It is designed & made by the Swiss branch of ReQuest Audio so shall not be cheap!
Maybe Wizard can have some info on its price.

The current model looks simpler than the prototype shown in hifi shows last year.
The prototype in Swiss ReQuest Audio website seems to be for home theatre use: http://www.requestaudio.com/index.php?id=77

Thanks. Well maybe one day we will see a ProI2S server solution DIRECT from MSB.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
I will try to post it tomorrow. I using my iPad now.

Young Skywalker

Apr 30, 2012
Thanks. Well maybe one day we will see a ProI2S server solution DIRECT from MSB.

Could be a lot closer than one might imagine. ;)

Priaptor

Member Sponsor
Jan 28, 2012
FL

Bassfeen

Dec 10, 2013
Asia
May the Force be with you young Luke

When someone pay 40,000 Plus for a DAC I would always assume the parts are already hand selected and measures best. Only to find out another 20 Grand at a price tag of 60K US for hand selected parts is starting to get silly. So that leaves all those who order the standard Diamond DAC with less inferior parts and components compared to the select Series. Something to wander upon.

audioblazer

Member Sponsor
May 13, 2010
Malaysia
Bassfeen, I agree with u. I just got mine a month ago & I would expect the parts to be excellent but its seems it is not true.

Last edited:

Bassfeen

Dec 10, 2013
Asia
Bassfeen, I agree with u. I just got mine a month ago & I would expect the parts to be excellent but it's seems it's not true.

Im sorry to hear that, from what I can tell you might have ended up with parts which don't measure so well. As the ones which measure well in stock are reserved for higher paying clients in the 60 Grand Region Select Series. Its a shame MSB had to go down this path and splutter it out all over there site. Makes you think a 40,000 Grand DAC is not using the best parts MSB can source is a dam Shame.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
I will try to post it tomorrow. I using my iPad now.

I am able to get some photo of "The Beast" at the Munich Show 2013 :

The Beast at Munich 2013 e.jpg The Beast at Munich 2013 c.jpg The Beast at Munich 2013 d.jpg The Beast at Munich 2013 a.jpg

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Thanks CKKeung,

Those photos are much better than the one I've taken with my phone. As you can see, the board looks very pedestrain next to the DAC IV board.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
Bassfeen, I agree with u. I just got mine a month ago & I would expect the parts to be excellent but its seems it is not true.

Let's wait for the press release. Now its just speculation.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA

The way to look at it is this. Let's say 90% of galaxy clocks are within +/- XX percent of accuracy specs. The five percent that is below the accuracy range gets rejected, and the 5% that is above accuracy range makes it into the "select" series. this does not mean the clock going into a standard Diamond is not "excellent".

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
The way to look at it is this. Let's say 90% of galaxy clocks are within +/- XX percent of accuracy specs. The five percent that is below the accuracy range gets rejected, and the 5% that is above accuracy range makes it into the "select" series. this does not mean the clock going into a standard Diamond is not "excellent".

we do not know what the changes are, so les't just not speculate.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
we do not know what the changes are, so les't just not speculate.

The site is pretty clear:

Includes hand selected Galaxy Femtosecond Clock
Includes hand selected Diamond DAC modules
Includes our best USB input module
Includes hand selected volume modules
Includes a select Diamond Power Base with reduced noise (no transport supply)

They just selected the core components with most impact on sound quality and picked the outliers in the performance range. The only thing that could potentially have a change in design in the select Diamond power base. I have a hunch they just eliminated the transport supply to be able to position it as a "different" powerbase.

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
OK, thanks, haven't noticed that info. How much is the new DAC in retail ?

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
OK, thanks, haven't noticed that info. How much is the new DAC in retail ?

It is $60K, but this includes a bunch of options, the powerbase and galaxy clock. You'd have to do the math to find out how much premium you're really paying over a standard diamond with the same options. I suspect around $15K.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
The site is pretty clear:
Includes hand selected Galaxy Femtosecond Clock
Includes hand selected Diamond DAC modules
Includes our best USB input module
Includes hand selected volume modules
Includes a select Diamond Power Base with reduced noise (no transport supply)
They just selected the core components with most impact on sound quality and picked the outliers in the performance range. The only thing that could potentially have a change in design in the select Diamond power base. I have a hunch they just eliminated the transport supply to be able to position it as a "different" powerbase.

IMHO This list of 'improvements' mentioned in MSB website is hard to convince audiophiles that the USD20k increase in price is justified.

Will there be a MSB demo in CES that a Diamond Select is compared directly with an usual Diamond IV Plus (with Galaxy clock & 384USB) to demonstrate the superiority of the former?
Does MSB dare doing such a shootout in open?

Elberoth

Member Sponsor
Dec 15, 2012
Poland
IMHO This list of 'improvements' mentioned in MSB website is hard to convince audiophiles that the USD20k increase in price is justified.

Will there be a MSB demo in CES that a Diamond Select is compared directly with an usual Diamond IV Plus (with Galaxy clock & 384USB) to demonstrate the superiority of the former?
Does MSB dare doing such a shootout in open?

IMO that will be the task for the dealers. If it doesn't sound any better, then they will probably not sell many.

My math may be a bit rusty, but I belive the price difference is $15k for the similarly equipped DAC IV Diamond, which sells for $45k.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
IMO that will be the task for the dealers. If it doesn't sound any better, then they will probably not sell many.

My math may be a bit rusty, but I belive the price difference is $15k for the similarly equipped DAC IV Diamond, which sells for $45k.

Hi Adam,

The Diamond Select has the Galaxy clock & Signature384 USB onboard.

Therefore, for a similarly loaded Diamond IV Plus : 27995 + 5995(Diamond powerbase) + 4955(Galaxy clock upgrade) + 1395(Signature384 USB) = US$40340
http://www.msbtech.com/products/dac4diamondDetail.php?Page=platinumHome

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Hi Adam,

The Diamond Select has the Galaxy clock & Signature384 USB onboard.

Therefore, for a similarly loaded Diamond IV Plus : 27995 + 5995(Diamond powerbase) + 4955(Galaxy clock upgrade) + 1395(Signature384 USB) = US$40340
http://www.msbtech.com/products/dac4diamondDetail.php?Page=platinumHome

It also has the volume control option and the new heatsinks are also an option, so it is a little more than that. Why they would bundle it with the USB when they are positioning streaming through the UMT+ as the best way to do computer audio is a bit of a puzzle to me.

CKKeung

Jun 17, 2011
Hong Kong
It also has the volume control option and the new heatsinks are also an option, so it is a little more than that. Why they would bundle it with the USB when they are positioning streaming through the UMT+ as the best way to do computer audio is a bit of a puzzle to me.

Thanks edorr,

A fully loaded Diamond IV Plus : 27995 + 5995(Diamond powerbase) + 4955(Galaxy clock upgrade) + 1395(Signature384 USB) + 2995(volume control)= US$43335.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing