MSB Premier or Lampi Pacific

kswanson27

Nov 21, 2018
this is the 16/44 album on Quboz or Tidal......the Listz 1st is an astonishing transfer. i was pretty blown away. it shows the 16/44 file is from a 96/24 transfer. i did check HD Tracks for the file but came up empty. but this one is superb as a streaming 16/44 to my ears.

View attachment 63395
That's a great recording, thanks. I found a recording of the same performance (I think) on HDTT so I downloaded the 24/96 version . Different sound and at first I thought better with more air and clarity but now I find it a bit bright and prefer the one you found.

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
For Liszt concertos #1 and #2, the streaming version that Mike listed is the same 1961 performance that was recorded on the Philip LP w Kondrashin/London. No doubt it may be sourced from several locations. As far as the Richter Beethoven sonatas, they must have come from another Philips recording(s) but I can't find them on Discogs. There are some candidates for his recordings of the appropriate sonatas recorded in 1963, but the timing of the movements don't quite match so I'm stumped. Doesn't really matter. I could listen to him play Swanee River and still be entranced.

Reactions: christoph

wil

Jul 22, 2015
The Liszt on Qobuz is really a humdinger of a recording! Maybe the best orchestral recording I've heard on my system streaming. Richter is stunningly good, though much of the orchestras parts (despite the great sound) are overly saccharin to my taste (like Hollywood film scores from the 40's)-- but I guess that's just Liszt and not Kondrashin's interpretation.

Speaking of piano, which I agree shines on the Lampi, many of the Glenn Gould recordings available on Qobuz are excellent. His interpretations are accused (denigrated) for their eccentricity, but they often speak to me more than any other pianist. I guess I'm eccentric as well...

Reactions: christoph

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
here is another gem on Quboz, in 24/48, 2 hours and 30 minutes of beautiful music. started it this morning without any expectations and it captured me. and tonight i can again hear what i liked about it. not Richter, but music i'm really enjoying.

incandescent! Wow!!!

1585790294884.png

Last edited:

caesar

May 30, 2010
Gentlemen,
Does Lampizator up-calculate all PCM to DSD or can it deal with PCM in its natural state?

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Gentlemen,
Does Lampizator up-calculate all PCM to DSD or can it deal with PCM in its natural state?
It does native PCM as well as native DSD

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
There are other decisions points in a purchase like this. I choose to buy the Msb Reference because I felt more comfortable with a local company and my perceived level of corporate stability. Plus my dealer has a direct line for any support issues. No I did not demo as I am building a system en-mass. I am kinda a fire and forget person. However I don’t think I will be dissatisfied in the decision.

Congrats Hugh, you will love it. IMHO, the Select and Reference DACs are on a different level from all the other DACs I’ve listened to. There is a natural and lifelike quality to the sound that I’ve only previously heard on master reel-to-reel tapes. They are sensitive to power cord selection, so try as many different ones as you can before purchasing.

Enjoy,
Ken

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Congrats Hugh, you will love it. IMHO, the Select and Reference DACs are on a different level from all the other DACs I’ve listened to. There is a natural and lifelike quality to the sound that I’ve only previously heard on master reel-to-reel tapes. They are sensitive to power cord selection, so try as many different ones as you can before purchasing.

Enjoy,
Ken

Thank you Ken! Great system btw, Richard is a cool guy. I have an AQ Dragon power cord so already invested. Best - Hugh

Reactions: Montage and CKKeung

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Thank you Ken! Great system btw, Richard is a cool guy. I have an AQ Dragon power cord so already invested. Best - Hugh

Hi Hugh,

Could you describe how the AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord(s) sounds on your Reference DAC? I’m thinking of doing a demo of these power cords on my Select II DAC. In addition, which digital input module are you using on your Reference DAC and how are you liking it?

Best,
Ken

HughP3

VIP/Donor
Apr 25, 2019
Hi Hugh,

Could you describe how the AudioQuest Dragon Source power cord(s) sounds on your Reference DAC? I’m thinking of doing a demo of these power cords on my Select II DAC. In addition, which digital input module are you using on your Reference DAC and how are you liking it?

Best,
Ken

Hi Ken Everything is still in boxes waiting on the room to be finished. It may be a while. I ordered the usb 3.0 mqa module. Femto clock is std issue. Not to hijack thread but did you try various clocks? Best - hugh

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Hi Ken Everything is still in boxes waiting on the room to be finished. It may be a while. I ordered the usb 3.0 mqa module. Femto clock is std issue. Not to hijack thread but did you try various clocks? Best - hugh

Thanks Hugh. No, I went right for Femto 33 clock and the two mono power bases and have never regretted that decision.

Ken

Reactions: CKKeung and HughP3

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
Speaking of piano, which I agree shines on the Lampi, many of the Glenn Gould recordings available on Qobuz are excellent. His interpretations are accused (denigrated) for their eccentricity, but they often speak to me more than any other pianist. I guess I'm eccentric as well...

Not sure what prompted me to re-read this defunct thread but saw this comment on Gould. Totally agree. He was revered for a reason, not just because he was a wackadoodle eccentric who just happened to play piano brilliantly (watch the great documentary "Genius Within" - highly recommended). When you think of Beethoven's piano concertos, Gould is not the first player the comes to mind. but I came across this Emperor (#5) and was knocked out. It is so different than, well, everyone else's! But ravishing.

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.32.04 PM.png

Along the same lines, one of my current favorite pianists is Helene Grimaud who is also surprisingly different (almost Gould-like) in her eccentric and fantastic playing when it comes to Beethoven's 5th piano concerto. Now at the peak of her career (at 51) you can't turn away from listening to anything she plays as she is truly a unique voice on the instrument. And on any DAC of your choice! :rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2020-12-05 at 1.33.07 PM.png

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
I don't know if it was the Lampizator Pacific with specially selected tubes or the SGM Extreme or the ElySiums in the background (I have a feeling everything sounds good when you're looking at those things in the background!) or the system overall, but I have to admit that I did not mind listening to digital yesterday -- especially of poor to average quality analog recordings.

I was surprised.

Taiko Audio

Industry Expert
Feb 10, 2017
The Netherlands
taikoaudio.com
I don't know if it was the Lampizator Pacific with specially selected tubes or the SGM Extreme or the ElySiums in the background (I have a feeling everything sounds good when you're looking at those things in the background!) or the system overall, but I have to admit that I did not mind listening to digital yesterday -- especially of poor to average quality analog recordings.

I was surprised.

I have the exact same Lampizator Pacific model, it has a new USB interface which is a good upgrade on it's own and it works with our new USB driver which gives it another nice uptick in performance. The volume control option to finetune the "gain" to your preamplifier (so not used as a system volume control) is also a not to be underestimated tool. I have no idea how it performs relative to the MSB Premier in this latest incarnation. The Elysiums are indeed imposing, simply enormous. The photos don't really highlight that aspect with them neighbouring those big Cessaros, imho :)

Last edited:

LampiNA

Jun 30, 2015
I have the exact same Lampizator Pacific model, it has a new USB interface which is a good upgrade on it's own and it works with our new USB driver which gives it another nice uptick in performance. The volume control option to finetune the "gain" to your preamplifier (so not used as a system volume control) is also a not to be underestimated tool. I have no idea how it performs relative to the MSB Premier in this latest incarnation. The Elysiums are indeed imposing, simply enormous. The photos don't really highlight that aspect with them neighbouring those big Cessaros, imho :)
And I cannot wait to share this reference point with you, Steven and many of my other Lampi customers when our demo Taiko Extreme units come in next week!

I'm very excited to learn this product, which seems a match made in heaven and a no brainier pairing to Lampizator.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
And I cannot wait to share this reference point with you, Steven and many of my other Lampi customers when our demo Taiko Extreme units come in next week!

I'm very excited to learn this product, which seems a match made in heaven and a no brainier pairing to Lampizator.
It is a match made in heaven. Congratulations Fred on representing a magnificent product

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
It is because of this thread, other WBF Lampizator and ‘higher-end’ dac WBF threads and, of course, the Taiko Extreme thread that the decision to upgrade my DAC to a Pacific to couple with the Extreme was made so comfortable and reassuring. Obviously so many opinions and options out there.

While I have yet to hear the Pacific, let alone a Lampizator, I take great confidence in current owners' opinions/experience here, particularly w respect to its synergy w the Extreme and the customer service of these two companies that is simply exemplary, based on my experience to date, beyond reproach. Two brilliant companies with exceptional leaders. Thank you all.

I also look forward to the sound of the Pacific coupled with the Extreme in the new year. So cool to know others are exploring as well. Stay safe and enjoy.

Last edited:

ctydwn

Aug 23, 2019
I am new to the tube world. Thankfully was given some advice on where to begin. Starting with RK242s and EML 274B. I was wondering who made those tube dampers!

Reactions: Taiko Audio

marty

Apr 20, 2010
United States
I am new to the tube world. Thankfully was given some advice on where to begin. Starting with RK242s and EML 274B. I was wondering who made those tube dampers!
As an FYI, I moved to the Emission Lab 274B about a week ago as a replacement for the RK KR5u4G in my GG2. I think it's a meaningful and beneficial uptick. It's a more "organic" and slightly more dynamic regulator that has no down side compared to the 5U4G IMO.

Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing