MSB Select II arrival

audioarcher

May 6, 2012
Seattle area
you know how sometimes you do stuff, then you think back why did i do that? then you think some more and realize it was the right thing to do? but then later....... :rolleyes: back in 2010-2011 i decided i wanted to investigate high level headphones. i wanted to see if they could reveal more of the music in some way. a part of the hobby i had not explored. i spent 2 years learning, acquiring a good dynamic headphone rig (HD-800's/Woo 6SE maxxed) and a good electrostat rig (Stax 007 Mk1/Stax-SRM-717 amp) and then later a Stax 009 and Headamp BHSE & Aristaeus amps, which at that time was fairly top drawer. i learned a little and enjoyed it, but then in 2012 had to sell it all to fund my dart mono blocks and MM7's.

since then i've looked into headphones from time to time thinking i would at some point get back into it.

then i started watching Youtube video's and other stuff on my laptop and got frustrated with the sound quality. so about a year ago started checking out headphones again. i knew i did not need to go hog wild, but my way is to jump fully in so i have been more and more checking them out. mostly what i had been watching were the planar dynamics and the new Stax 009S's and appropriate amps to get the most out of them. one issue was how would they integrate into my system when i was not using them for Youtube video's?

this weekend i noticed an MSB Select Headphone amp for sale. one thing led to another and......well......i now own it. and today the Stax SR-009S's i ordered to go with it showed up. i'm listening to the combo right now. i'll not yet comment on the performance. headphones take time to break in.

the Select headphone amp does integrate really well with my system, and i'll be able to plug my laptop into an analog input on the MSB Select II dac and use the Select passive pre volume control for it. i'm waiting for the cable to allow that to work seamlessly; s/b here tomorrow.

one thing, the amp is anodized silver, my dac and power supplies are black. if i decide to keep it long term i can send it in and have it anodized black to match. or if i sell it later it can be matched to that buyer's Select II.

did i need to do this? will it still be here in 6 months? god only knows.

View attachment 75161 View attachment 75162
Hi Mike,

Congrats on your new acquisition. I just ordered a pair a Stax 009S as well. Remember hearing the 009 at RMAF years ago on a Blue Hawaii amp. It was very nice sounding. I also ordered the new Woo Audio 3es elite electrostatic headphone amp to drive them. Probably wont get the amp for at least a month. The Woo amp uses 300b, 6sn7 driver, and 5u4g rectifier. It also can function as a preamp. I wanted to get some tubes in my system again so the 3es seemed to fit the bill. Can't wait to hear it.

Sean

Reactions: Alpinist

Ultrafast69

VIP/Donor
Aug 27, 2018
Seattle, WA
www.audio-ultra.com
Has anyone tried these DC cables on MSB?
I was curious about this as well, as I have gained subtle improvements when using DC cables from linear power supplies.

Depending on cost I would not be opposed to trying.

ationg

Aug 7, 2016
The stock cables are so skinny which makes me wonder are they shortchanging the pieces they are connecting

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Sorry guys but, I couldn´t find this information online.
Please tell me: in the mono powerbase configuration, which one powers the analogue section of the DAC, the one labeled 1 or the one labeled 2?
I would like to separate it from the server and the powerbase which powers the digital section of the DAC at the isolation transformers.
Thank you.

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Not sure of numbers but the PB that runs warmer is the analogue one..

Reactions: Armsan

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Sorry guys but, I couldn´t find this information online.
Please tell me: in the mono powerbase configuration, which one powers the analogue section of the DAC, the one labeled 1 or the one labeled 2?
I would like to separate it from the server and the powerbase which powers the digital section of the DAC at the isolation transformers.
Thank you.
The power base that is connected via umbilical cord to the socket on the DAC nearest the preamp module (where the XLR or RCA sockets reside) will be the power base that powers the analog section of the DAC.

The power base that is connected via umbilical cord to the socket on the DAC nearest the digital input modules will be the power base that powers the digital section of the DAC.

Both mono power bases are identical.

Ken

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Thank You Kingsrule and Alpinist.
Done. I hear a noticeable improvement. Now the power base that powers the analogue section of the DAC is plugged in the same Torus isolation transformer as are the power amps.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
I'd say the cables won't make a difference. I have the Revelation Audio umbilicals and they made ZERO difference in sound on my Discrete with two power supplies.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I'd say the cables won't make a difference. I have the Revelation Audio umbilicals and they made ZERO difference in sound on my Discrete with two power supplies.
Which cable are you using with your Discrete? I looked on their site and only see ones for the Reference and Select.

seriouslyhifi

Mar 19, 2013
The other day I was lamenting to my Psychologist friend about the fact that there are so many things I cant remember in my "golden" years and if that means my cognition is about as good as my knees. In her truly compassionate manner, she assured me that while memory may decline, our pattern recognition improves. So yes, great minds!o_O

Cables are especially important, IMHO, when listening in a set up as exquisitely revealing as this one. I was very fortunate that Vince Galbo sold me some Kubala balanced cables(75 ohm) that run from DAC to headphone amp that he had been using whenever he wanted a good demo. I don't know what model they are or exactly how old the cables are but they look well used. I love these cables. He only used these cables in their capacity from DAC to headphone amp. USB is another story. I have tried many. My favorites are the Ansuz DTC and the most recent Sablon. I have not tried the Gobel. The mono power bases for the DAC use Synergistic Research Galileo SRX power cords and the headphone amp uses SR Galileo SX power cord. Synergistic Blue fuses are in the Select DAC.

I am very curious about your ideas on where to go
Can you please let me know what other Power Cables you compared before you bought the Synergistic Galileo SRX & SX power cables for your Select. What did you hear with the Synergistic in your system. Finally did the Blue Fuses have a marked improvement in the performance and which all fuses did you replace with what values? Thanks.

skids929

Dec 31, 2020
Which cable are you using with your Discrete? I looked on their site and only see ones for the Reference and Select.
I am using these with my Discrete. They weren't cheap and I can hear ZERO audible difference.

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
I am using these with my Discrete. They weren't cheap and I can hear ZERO audible difference.

Sorry I was thinking you were using the cables from the power supply to the DAC. I see Revelation makes PS to DAC cables for the MSB Reference and Select. Was looking for the same for the Premier.

Reactions: Zarir

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
decided to sell my MSB Select Electrostatic Headphone amplifier and Stax 009s headphones (listed it today on WBF).

love what i hear, but have too many things going on so need to cull the herd. i could see at some point buying this again to simplify in the other direction. :rolleyes:

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
Have you guys already upgraded your Select’s firmware?
If yes, did you noticed any kind of SQ improvemen?
Thanks.

Levitator

Jul 1, 2020
Brisbane, Australia
Have you guys already upgraded your Select’s firmware?
If yes, did you noticed any kind of SQ improvemen?
Thanks.

Not yet, but I see the latest update effective 30th Nov. I believe it fixes a switching issue so not sure if there will be an uptick in SQ as a result…one can only hope though!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
Has anyone installed the new 2.9 firmware?
I did. Still doesn't fix the muting issue when using SII in native mode.
Not sure what switching issue its supposed to fix......

Alpinist

Jun 17, 2014
USA
Is it an automatic update or do you have to upload it manually?

Thanks,
Ken

bryans

VIP/Donor
Dec 26, 2017
Is it an automatic update or do you have to upload it manually?

Thanks,
Ken
Manual update but it is pretty simple

Reactions: Alpinist

Armsan

Jan 28, 2016
Portugal
I was shy to share, so I asked about your findings. I couldn’t hear any SQ improvement…it’s a pity that MSB, in more than 2 years, couldn’t develop a new firmware version with clear SQ benefits. Most of the game changes are played at the software field, as we can observe and experiment in a few other brands. I think MSB is a little frizzed in time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing