Munich HighEnd 2024

[please forgive my poor English]

I was not in Munich this year, and I have never been in Munich before, but from what I can read:
I contend that the Contendo is a contentious system, at least in its daring attempt to demonstrate its full potential. Obviously, it was a risky bet, moreover in a room they had no previous experience with, it seems.

Nevertheless, from what I can read,
No, the demarcation line dividing the two "camps" does NOT draw a line between AC dealers / regular attendees (cf. picture in post #1,047):
just to quote a few:

Moreover, when I see the nearly unanimous negative opinions about the Stenheim Reference Ultime Two's demo (with Nagra en darTZeel), it raises questions. I heard those speakers twice, in different setups and room. The 35 live, classical concerts I attend each year, in various halls, generally very good ones, sitting on various seats, made me able to instantly recognize a truly great performer in those fabulous speakers. Well setup, this is so obvious that I could publicly post to a member who had them compared with another speaker at home:

So, as I trust the perception of members who did not liked the Stenheim demo, and as this contrasts so starkly with what I know about those JAW-DROPPING speakers, I'm literally flabbergasted by those reports (in the sense that: I really don't know what to think about the causes).

(Not to speak about the whole Aries Cerat system I heard, based on admittedly another AC speaker system (Symphonia's), admittedly in a quite different, much better context (very good dedicated room), reported here - have a look! - here, there WAS a choir in front of me, no doubt, but as it was not what my brain saw, it took me 15 sec to recover from the shock; I know that one of the biggest high-end dealer of the North of Europe, who has 30+ years of experience, ...had the same shock, with the same system - but I'm afraid I will have to close this AC-related digression, otherwise the set of "AC dealers" in the aforementioned picture could be enlarged to "AC owners"; and, yes, I own an AC preamp, bought afterwards after I tried it at home)

And the (only) question this raises for me, is:
should I attend Munich 2025, and what for ?

(not to speak about the music played in the rooms)
I agree with what you are saying.

I would add. There are so many variables in this hobby, especially at a hifi show. Speaker set up, I spend days fine tuning my speakers in my room and I know my room. What is it like for an exhibitor in a new room? Power issues, system break in, I could go on. Please understand I am not giving a free pass to poor exhibitor because those that care usually manage to provide a good presentation. Many manufacturers seem to get the same room at Munich which should help.

So as far as perception there is no absolute. If there were we wouldn't have so many competing brands that stake their claim to having the best sound. To your point the Stenheim are seriously good speakers, personally I thought they sounded OK at the show but I know from hearing the brand at a friend's they can be better.

So should you attend 2025? I would say yes. You love audio and will get to see a huge palette of manufacturers. Don't expect the rooms to be perfect but enjoy those that come together. Discover new audio stuff. We often get trapped into things we know and compare everything against that rather than the music be open to new experiences. You have a leg up there being a frequent concert attender. Don't expect a lot of classical unless you are able to get in Thursday, Friday where you can probably request it.
Frankly if I had a criticism of this year's shows it would be directed at the choice of music by many exhibitors. Hey maybe there are more that liked the techno pop etc and I have lost touch, so just my opinion.

Cheers

If the room is not overcrowded you can usually ask the executor for music type and even specific vinyl to track

Yes. I used to do this at CES. I would make a CD of the tracks I wanted to hear and every vendor I asked accommodated me. Other reviewers do similar. It made it simple for the vendor and independent of his own catalog.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
It is rather strange that not one of the forum members that have visited the show has mentioned their impressions of the new Zellaton model range top speakers, which are supposed to be the best transducers since ever....

Or, Goldmund which just has come out with their new range of amplification & digital.

Last edited:
Thanks for sharing you impressions! I was not that impressed with their smaller Evo model at the Chicago Axpona Show, despite REALLY wanting to like their sound (and trying to find the ways to purchase a pair), so was hoping the Statements will be the great one...

I m not saying i think Zellaton is a bad speaker .
On another amp i might really like them
Its the setting you hear them in that matters

Last edited:
Reactions: AudioHR
Afaic all these brands should switch to Convergent Zanden Audio research VTL.

Munchen becomes rather uninvolving after multiple visits if your home base is high Q push pull tube amplification
Those amps from Japan that Zellaton was using , is a boutique brand , I think they are about 200K or so. I guess all for naught.

Those amps from Japan that Zellaton was using , is a boutique brand , I think they are about 200K or so. I guess all for naught.

The Zellatons with YL acoustics at Munich never sounded good like the set up of Zellatons with FM at Audio Arts, which was excellent.

Reactions: Young Skywalker
Did you listen to the Odeon horn speakers by any chance?
Yes probably but i did nt take pics.
So not impressed

STEIN music horns were quit good .
Avant garde with the small horns sounded not good at all to my ears.

Living voice sounded very good in 22 with the cheap model but now they demonstrate with the much more expensive ( scan speak ellipticor) model which did nt sound good at all.

Attachments

• 20240511_125050.jpg
    20240511_125050.jpg
    717.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 20240511_125033.jpg
    20240511_125033.jpg
    993 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240511_125042.jpg
    20240511_125042.jpg
    867.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240511_125037.jpg
    20240511_125037.jpg
    692 KB · Views: 11
  • 20240511_121854.jpg
    20240511_121854.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 20240511_115144.jpg
    20240511_115144.jpg
    597.7 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Yes probably but i did nt take pics.
So not impressed

STEIN horns were quit good .
Avant garde with the small horns sounded not good at all to my ears.

Living voice sounded very good in 22 with the cheap model but now they demonstrate with the much more expensive ( scan speak ellipticor) model which did nt sound good at all.
Was Stein playing their smaller models as well, or only big speakers?

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing