Munich HighEnd 2024

The BrinkMann room worked for me!

A nice mix of music, good sound, I could have stayed longer!IMG_2572.jpeg

Reactions: morricab
V

...and probably a lot of bad Wi-Fi.
I don't think many were relying on wifi. Lots of vinyl and computer/network files.

Reactions: Al M.
Just across the street from the MOC there were a few rooms by MARTION Audiosystems. Definitely not hifideluxe or Highend Munich but if you closed your eyes...oh yes the music was there and it sounded really good. Passionate audiophiles have a way of getting closer to the real thing.

IMG_2603.jpeg

These MBL were sounding very good. Based on previous listening I wasn't expecting them to sound as good. Not really my kind of system but if I win the lottery they could be on my list. Well maybe not but my brief listen impressed me.IMG_2565.jpeg

One of the signatures of a great system for me is it can often make music that is traditionally harder to access generally easier to appreciate… so more challenging forms of music like some more free wheeling forms of jazz or more challenging 20th century classical seem to unfold easier and are just easier to tune into for more people with a really good system (and even easier in a great performance of that music). Whereas maybe with music that is easier to access the system isn’t as challenged to allow us to make that connection.

With more intimate scale in chamber music the dialogue between players can also for me be more exposed and if a system can convey the finer expressive qualities of a performance then differences and gradations in performances also become in themselves easier to identify. I’ve found it much easier to get the difference in quality in performances (or they just become harder to ignore perhaps) when the system integrates the reproduced sounds into music more seamlessly and seemingly just easier much as in the same way the differences between recordings themselves also becomes clearer and is one of the signposts for me of a really good system as well.
Yes you need a good system to reproduce chamber music...

Something was definitely right about these two classic looking stand mounts by WLM! I didn't hear the larger model but the two smaller speakers had me looking around for the subwoofers. There weren't any!View attachment 131395
Did you catch the pricing of the larger, short floor-standers with large woofers by any chance? I ve emailed the company few days ago, but they have not replied and these are not listed on their website. Thanks!

Did you catch the pricing of the larger, short floor-standers with large woofers by any chance? I ve emailed the company few days ago, but they have not replied and these are not listed on their website. Thanks!
I think the small ones are 9k and the bigger ones 12k.

They are expensive. Originally custom made, they plan to introduce them to their lineup.

They are expensive. Originally custom made, they plan to introduce them to their lineup.
I thought so. The 12K was too optimistic :(. . Morricab has said those are active as well, wonder if there will be a passive version for me to explore.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 2.56.18 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-13 at 2.56.18 AM.png
    982.8 KB · Views: 15
I thought so. The 12K was too optimistic :(. . Morricab has said those are active as well, wonder if there will be a passive version for me to explore.
Just to be clear the 9k is the small passive stand mount and the 12k the bigger passive stand mount, not the active behemoths on the very short stands.

You're not the only one who appreciates Magico.
'Organic' isn't exactly a term I'd associate with Magico, but perceptions may vary.
Since S upgraded to MK2 the sound has been change, yes Magico's are still a clear window to the room, source, electronics, cables and music but its not the same as it used to be in the days of Q or S MK1 when the higher edges and clarity where step a head of the mid's.

I had two Magico speakers, the Mini II and the Q3. They were excellent. I sold them both to the same guy about five years apart. They are a clear window to the upstream components so those choices matter and positioning is important. I ended up aiming them straight ahead for most natural presentation in my room.
Over time, I've realized that there is no perfect speaker, amplifier, or source—each has its strengths and weaknesses. Excellent speakers, electronics, or sources can come in different shapes and topologies. For example, one of my favorite speakers is the Diesis Roma, which is quite different from the speakers I own and love. Ultimately, you need to appreciate the setup as a whole, rather than focusing on individual components.

Just to be clear the 9k is the small passive stand mount and the 12k the bigger passive stand mount, not the active behemoths on the very short stands.
Larger stand mount was 17k…Floorstander with same drivers was actually cheaper at 13k. Active little beast was significantly more…but I didn’t get the actual price. Both larger standmount and small floorstander were very good .

The BrinkMann room worked for me!

A nice mix of music, good sound, I could have stayed longer!View attachment 131396
Yes, very good System. Best I ever heard Rockports sound in fact. All Brinkmann electronics delivers natural sound. Size is appealing as well but don’t be fooled, this system cost serious bucks! That’s why it didn’t make my affordable top 5.

Reactions: Verdier and AudioHR

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing