Musical Fidelity A5 integrated

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Has anyone heard the A5? I never have. The reviews I've found refer to a "modern tube-like sound." I wish I knew what that meant.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Let me talk a bit more about what I'm after. I like an amplifier with a slightly forward perspective, with a "sunny" and vivid presentation. I like the singer to walk into the room, in lieu of staying closer to the plane of the speakers. I prefer an exciting, gripping sound; descriptors like "relaxed" make me nervous (perhaps for the wrong reasons). Most of all, a lack of perceived clarity and detail drive me up a wall.

Along with a MF A5 I'm also looking at a MF M6i. Do you guys think either will meet my needs? My budget is ~$1500. I need a good amount of power, a pre-out and a tape loop, in case of an alternate recommendation. A Krell S-300i kinda fits the bill, but lacks a tape loop.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Felix-I don't want you think you are being ignored, but I for one can't provide any insight for you as I have never heard either component that is under your consideration. Hopefully someone who does will chime in.

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
im going eat humble pie on this recommendation as i subtly bashed naim in another thread but the Super nait and nait XS check all the boxes for what you want except power. i have a super nait and nait xs w/flatcap they really boogie w/ my Harbeth s-hl5 - they never sounded better! several months ago i tried the krell s-300i on my joseph audio pulsars and the trebble wore me out, too bad because the rest of the spectrum was pretty good.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Thank you for the replies.

As you can see, I'm having some problems finding an integrated. Really, my problem is that I haven't heard any integrated amps. Relatively low-powered, yes, but that's not what I need. I'm trying to minimize the number of boxes, as well as the expense, by opting for an integrated. Otherwise, I'd get a 4BST/SST and a LS2 and call it a day.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
krellbashing..

im going eat humble pie on this recommendation as i subtly bashed naim in another thread but the Super nait and nait XS check all the boxes for what you want except power. i have a super nait and nait xs w/flatcap they really boogie w/ my Harbeth s-hl5 - they never sounded better! several months ago i tried the krell s-300i on my joseph audio pulsars and the trebble wore me out, too bad because the rest of the spectrum was pretty good.

I could do some krellbashing, but I won't:

The Krell 300iL was my first gear that sounded good - until I noticed I did not like it at all; in fact it was terrible, so I switched to Einstein absolute tune, Pathos Twin Towers (both fantastic) and then to the Accuphase E550 (very good sound, flashy outside, could not stand it), and then finally to Berning where I would still be hadn't I stumbled over an Audio Consulting MIPA.

So: thank you Krell.

As for MF, no idea :)

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
berning

As you can see, I'm having some problems finding an integrated. Really, my problem is that I haven't heard any integrated amps. Relatively low-powered, yes, but that's not what I need. I'm trying to minimize the number of boxes, as well as the expense, by opting for an integrated. Otherwise, I'd get a 4BST/SST and a LS2 and call it a day.

Get yourself a Berning ZH270, that is, if you don't need more than two inputs.. You will not regret it.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com

What is your budget and spec requirements? I have had dozens of integrated come through here...maybe I can make some suggestions.

It seems to be you are looking for solid state...

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
A used Plinius 9200 perhaps?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
What is your budget and spec requirements? I have had dozens of integrated come through here...maybe I can make some suggestions.

It seems to be you are looking for solid state...

My budget is ~$1500. I can go a bit higher, if there's a reason to. Yes I'm looking for SS, ~200wpc, used. As an example of application, the amp need to control 4x10" woofers playing (Reggae) Dub at pant-flapping levels.

A used Plinius 9200 perhaps?

Jack, I very much appreciate the suggestion. The thing is, I don't like the Plinius' sound. I find it a bit muffled in the upper mids and I much prefer a more incisive presentation, rather than its back of the hall perspective. I'm glad you brought it up, as these very factors are what's making unsure about the MF M6i. I mean, if its presentation is like the 8200 or, say, mid-90s Classe, I'd hate it.

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
..if you do need 200W's then my experience won't be helpful: The amps I cited above are all around 30-50, mostly pure class A amps; I find them outstanding (s.above)
Have you heard Accuphase? they are really good, and you can easily go second hand..the E306 might already do, or (probably too expensive) from the E405V series onwards.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
..if you do need 200W's then my experience won't be helpful: The amps I cited above are all around 30-50, mostly pure class A amps; I find them outstanding (s.above)
Have you heard Accuphase? they are really good, and you can easily go second hand..the E306 might already do, or (probably too expensive) from the E405V series onwards.

Yea, a lower-powered amp simply won't do what I want. Not with these speakers in this room. I appreciate the suggestions, nonetheless.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
My budget is ~$1500. I can go a bit higher, if there's a reason to. Yes I'm looking for SS, ~200wpc, used. As an example of application, the amp need to control 4x10" woofers playing (Reggae) Dub at pant-flapping levels.

Jack, I very much appreciate the suggestion. The thing is, I don't like the Plinius' sound. I find it a bit muffled in the upper mids and I much prefer a more incisive presentation, rather than its back of the hall perspective. I'm glad you brought it up, as these very factors are what's making unsure about the MF M6i. I mean, if its presentation is like the 8200 or, say, mid-90s Classe, I'd hate it.

Ok.$1500 is tight for a quality 200 wpc integrated used but...

From my experience:

take a look at a used:

-MA series McIntosh. I have the MA6600 rated at 250 wpc.
-Any of the recent vintage Electrocompaniet integrated amps
-The Marantz Reference Series models are pure magic...
-Classic Ayre integrated
-Check out David Belles www.powermodules.com

If you are willing to go Class D, there are many more options.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I like this one.....

Vincent TubeLine SV-236MK

How about with a bit less power.....

Kandy K2

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Ok.$1500 is tight for a quality 200 wpc integrated used but...

Like I said, I'm willing to extend the budget a bit, if there's a reason to. $1500 buys the various Krells, the MFs, and a whole bunch of stuff I cannot use.

From my experience:

take a look at a used:

-MA series McIntosh. I have the MA6600 rated at 250 wpc.
-Any of the recent vintage Electrocompaniet integrated amps
-The Marantz Reference Series models are pure magic...
-Classic Ayre integrated
-Check out David Belles www.powermodules.com

If you are willing to go Class D, there are many more options.

Thanks, Andre. Belles is local to me. I've heard his designs for +25 years and I simply do not know if there's s sound I loathe more. The Ayre is a nice sounding piece, but no power. The Mac is the aural equivalent of mud; I'm looking for the exact opposite quality in an amp. Would love an Electro, but unfortunately cannot find enough power in my price range. So where does this leave me? Back to the MFs and the Krells. :)

Has anyone heard a MF amplifier?

Sonically, this is what is want:
I like an amplifier with a slightly forward perspective, with a "sunny" and vivid presentation. I like the singer to walk into the room, in lieu of staying closer to the plane of the speakers. I prefer an exciting, gripping sound; descriptors like "relaxed" make me nervous (perhaps for the wrong reasons). Most of all, a lack of perceived clarity and detail drive me up a wall.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Typically smooth and warm except for the A3CR series which were more "sparkly".

Class D ok with you? The Bel Canto S300i is a very clear sounding integrated.

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
Like I said, I'm willing to extend the budget a bit, if there's a reason to. $1500 buys the various Krells, the MFs, and a whole bunch of stuff I cannot use.

Thanks, Andre. Belles is local to me. I've heard his designs for +25 years and I simply do not know if there's s sound I loathe more. The Ayre is a nice sounding piece, but no power. The Mac is the aural equivalent of mud; I'm looking for the exact opposite quality in an amp. Would love an Electro, but unfortunately cannot find enough power in my price range. So where does this leave me? Back to the MFs and the Krells. :)

Has anyone heard a MF amplifier?

Sonically, this is what is want:
I like an amplifier with a slightly forward perspective, with a "sunny" and vivid presentation. I like the singer to walk into the room, in lieu of staying closer to the plane of the speakers. I prefer an exciting, gripping sound; descriptors like "relaxed" make me nervous (perhaps for the wrong reasons). Most of all, a lack of perceived clarity and detail drive me up a wall.

Too bad about Belles..I honestly don't agree..but that is ok!

The McIntosh series I refer to is all solid state, and ANYTHING but mud.....

I also think you may be over estimating the amount of power you need.

Hmm..it seems this going to be a frustrating search for you. ;)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
...that's what I was afraid of.

Honestly, I don't know. I've never heard a modern Class-D amp in my system.

There are excellent Class D designs around today, and everybody has jumped on board...including Audio Research.
Don't believe the hype about them being an "immature" technology. It is all about implementation.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing