New darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII owner experience

skinnyfla

Nov 1, 2023
Germany
... I also own the DAWs and I´m seriously considering the 8550 mk2 for my next amplifier...

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
You won’t be disappointed. I’m really enjoying my Sasha DAW and DZ 8550 MK II combo

Sencha

Nov 11, 2013
U.K.
What source are you using with it? Obviously the 8550's ability to reveal will be dictated by the resolving quality of the source.

When I demoed the 8550 it was fronted by a dCS Rossini + clock - no problem revealing what this totl player is capable of giving.
I now have a new DarTZeel pre and power in my system fronted by my Rossini+clock (even though I loved the 8550 I decided to go further up the line). This combination EASILY reveals more than my previous totl Naim 552/500 system.

As for price I actually felt the 8550 was a "bargain" (if one can say that). My Naim 552/500 lists for $70k - the $42k super integrated from DarTZeel outperforms and has a lower box and cable count. It is extremely impressive imho.
I also moved from a Naim 500 system, in my case 3 X 500’s driving Naim DBL loudspeakers, to a Dartzeel pre/power. Explaining to change in sound to my local dealer (he sells Naim but not Dartzeel) I remember saying that with the Naim a trumpet would sound like a trumpet but with the Darts every trumpet sounded different. Don’t get me wrong, the dynamic slam of three 500’s the Darts can’t quite live up to but almost every other aspect of the musical performance is improved. I recently bought new loudspeakers, new B&W 801 D4’s, an upgrade from my old 802’s and I can’t quite get over how good the sound is! Looks like the Dart has even more to give. When my dealer heard my set up I could see he was visibly shocked at how good it is. He said he had never heard anything like it before and felt like he was in the control booth of a recording studio before the signal gets processed and produced into media. High praise indeed and I have an early 18/108! Herve told me they have made many improvements since my pair were built, will have to ship them off to Switzerland to be fiddled with one of these days.
Anyhoos, to everyone, enjoy glorious sounds as much as you can in 2024!!

Reactions: jonathanhorwich

Synaxis

Jan 3, 2024
USA
I would love someday to hear the integrated based on the descriptions of how musical they are. However I'm afraid then I'd want one and have to find the money to buy it!

Hansen

Mar 12, 2023
Hong Kong
You won’t be disappointed. I’m really enjoying my Sasha DAW and DZ 8550 MK II combo
Thanks.

I also own a DZ 8550 MK II and have been thinking of upgrading my speakers (currently a small floor standing Sonus Faber).

One of the concerns i have is about speaker matching, clearly, the DZ isnt the most powerful integrated.

So i was surprised it manages to drive an WA Sasha DAW....definitely good to know.

I have been aiming to get a pair of Stenheim 3 ....target for 2024 and still saving$ :)

Btw, does anyone know if the grounding post at the back of the DZ integrated is for a signal or chassis grounding?

CJmooney

Feb 5, 2021
330 watts at 4 ohms is plenty of juice for Sasha DAW's! My room is roughly 18x16x9 (Length, width, height in feet). I listen in the 80-90 dB range and am probably only using a couple watts on average. The DAW has a sensitivity of 91dB/W/m at 4 ohms. That would give you at least 115 dB on peaks at 1 meter. Unless you have a small auditorium for a room, I think there is enough power! In my small room, 105 -108 dB peak levels are obtained easily and without strain (except for your ears).

I believe the grounding post is for the phono preamp. When in the phono setup menu, you can choose floating, chassis or signal grounding.

Reactions: Hansen and Dierkx1

Hansen

Mar 12, 2023
Hong Kong
330 watts at 4 ohms is plenty of juice for Sasha DAW's! My room is roughly 18x16x9 (Length, width, height in feet). I listen in the 80-90 dB range and am probably only using a couple watts on average. The DAW has a sensitivity of 91dB/W/m at 4 ohms. That would give you at least 115 dB on peaks at 1 meter. Unless you have a small auditorium for a room, I think there is enough power! In my small room, 105 -108 dB peak levels are obtained easily and without strain (except for your ears).

I believe the grounding post is for the phono preamp. When in the phono setup menu, you can choose floating, chassis or signal grounding.
Thanks for the sharing

mglik

Apr 10, 2022
I am a proud and ecstatic owner of a Dartzeel CTH 8550 MK2.
Was inspired by Michaels Fremmer and Lavigne. Fremmer is on the record, in print, of asking Herve why Dartzeel is so different. Indeed it is different from any amp I have experienced in 50 years at this. CHT stands for Close to Heaven and 8550 for 85% of the separates for 50% the price. Yea! Aside from all the audiophile platitudes, the Dartzeel reveals the essence of the music. The reason we listen to music. It has radically improved my listening experience to a point where I enter into a kind of meditative state.
It is surperb and unique. I feel sorry for all those who do not have Dartzeel!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Outstanding! That's what I'm talking about.

However, although their stereo MK1 amp was just about ok driving full range stats... (ML CLX's), the MK2 is supposed to have a higher current capacity. So that should be much better with stats, I'm thinking. I've only had the chance on a home trail with the older version.
Even that one, was in the range of 60grand down unda. The Vitus SS-103 and Aries Cerat integrated Ap model, were both in that same pricing range. So that's pretty much duck pond territory for me (it's a wifey issue nothing else).
Now, regarding those fancy looking monoblocks! Oh yeah! That was a stop the train moment... and so was the price tag! (Appox. 350grand AUD, no thanks, definite duck pond!)

So like you said, feel sorry for those who don't have Dartzeel... yep, can certainly see that! I'm so very sad...

Oh for the love of tooobs.
Cheers matey and do enjoy those finest Swiss tunes!
WOOF! RJ

OZ996

Feb 11, 2024
China
Just curious if 8550 is powerful enough to driver Avantgrade UNO SD (with 18ohms impedanc)? Thanks for all advices!

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Just curious if 8550 is powerful enough to driver Avantgrade UNO SD (with 18ohms impedanc)? Thanks for all advices!
G'day mate,

If those are the speakers that you're using: Avant Garde UNO SD, of course the Dartzeel amplifier will drive those! In fact, any high quality amplifier (tube or SS) will effortlessly drive horns. These are rated at 107dB 18 Ohm loads, which is a very benign load, there's absolutely no strain on the Output stage, so no issues there.

Just looking at the specs on the UNO SD, it clearly states, recommended amplifier power ratings of just 10W! So in this case, the Dartzeel is overkill.

I haven't heard this particular combination but I'm thinking that you'll be quite amazed at the ample power levels the Dartzeel will have driving high efficiency speakers with easy loads, and especially horns. I've tried that same amplifier (the Mk-1 version) on my CLX's, and it was just about right. Plenty of drive, and very good control on the stats. However, over in Aus, the price was off-putting compared to the other options available, such as Pass Labs, Vitus Audio and Burmester. So I passed on the Dartzeel offer, it was on sale end of last year.

BTW, nice one on the AG UNO SD, they're top flight horns, no doubt. When I was on my quest for that final speaker choice, back in 2018, my short list comprised of the AG DUO XD's. At the time I had a nice little Conrad Johnson CAV45 Control amplifier, 50w of EL34 tube power was more than adequate to fly! But then I ended up with ML Electrostats, and the rest is history.

The Dartzeel is a fine piece of machinery, meant for a certain type of clientele... so if you're serious about getting it, I can confidently say that you won't be disappointed at all.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
woof! RJ

OZ996

Feb 11, 2024
China
G'day mate,

If those are the speakers that you're using: Avant Garde UNO SD, of course the Dartzeel amplifier will drive those! In fact, any high quality amplifier (tube or SS) will effortlessly drive horns. These are rated at 107dB 18 Ohm loads, which is a very benign load, there's absolutely no strain on the Output stage, so no issues there.

Just looking at the specs on the UNO SD, it clearly states, recommended amplifier power ratings of just 10W! So in this case, the Dartzeel is overkill.

I haven't heard this particular combination but I'm thinking that you'll be quite amazed at the ample power levels the Dartzeel will have driving high efficiency speakers with easy loads, and especially horns. I've tried that same amplifier (the Mk-1 version) on my CLX's, and it was just about right. Plenty of drive, and very good control on the stats. However, over in Aus, the price was off-putting compared to the other options available, such as Pass Labs, Vitus Audio and Burmester. So I passed on the Dartzeel offer, it was on sale end of last year.

BTW, nice one on the AG UNO SD, they're top flight horns, no doubt. When I was on my quest for that final speaker choice, back in 2018, my short list comprised of the AG DUO XD's. At the time I had a nice little Conrad Johnson CAV45 Control amplifier, 50w of EL34 tube power was more than adequate to fly! But then I ended up with ML Electrostats, and the rest is history.

The Dartzeel is a fine piece of machinery, meant for a certain type of clientele... so if you're serious about getting it, I can confidently say that you won't be disappointed at all.
Cheers, and enjoy those fine tunes!
woof! RJ
Dear Big Dog RJ, so kind of you for this detail feedback. Really appreciated!!! I am also considering CJ’s new ART88+150. Still debating whether SS or Tube works better for horn speakers (learning a lot in the other related post here). How is your experience with CJ? Much better than SS like DarTZeel 8550? I remember in another post that you bought their classic ARTsa. Sadly this ARTsa model is out of the market already.

P.s. 90% of my listening is classic music like Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Chopin, etc. No rock and occasionally Jazz vocal.

Last edited:

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I am also considering CJ’s new ART88+150.

For AVG Uno, you wouldn't need 150, 27a would be more than enough. With a high sensitivity speaker reports suggest the 27a may even sound better.

Not heard of anyone running CJ with AVG but can't see why they wouldn't work well together

Reactions: Big Dog RJ

Big Dog RJ

Feb 2, 2012
Melbourne
Dear Big Dog RJ, so kind of you for this detail feedback. Really appreciated!!! I am also considering CJ’s new ART88+150. Still debating whether SS or Tube works better for horn speakers (learning a lot in the other related post here). How is your experience with CJ? Much better than SS like DarTZeel 8550? I remember in another post that you bought their classic ARTsa. Sadly this ARTsa model is out of the market already.

P.s. 90% of my listening is classic music like Bach, Mozart, Vivaldi, Chopin, etc. No rock and occasionally Jazz vocal.
Very correct as mentioned in the last post, the ART150 will truly be overkill for your AG Horns. The ART150 is a power house, using a quad set of KT150 tubes. These are wired in Ultra linear pentode mode and in push-pull config, they will blow your roof off driving the Uno's very high efficiency ratings. As mentioned in the post below, the ART27A will be far more suited, that's if you prefer tubes. Although rated at just 35w/ch, note this is rated in pure Class A, so very effortless drive with easy loads, such as Horns.

The Art88 is CJ's finest preamp ever made to date. It's a true all tube classic design with no SS buffered output stage, unlike CJ's previous preamps. It's a superb preamp!

Now comparing all this fine tube gear with SS devices, such as Dartzeel is quite simple, there's no comparison! In this case, especially at this level, neither of the two are superior. It all depends on your personal preferences. Therefore, you need to audition both types of gear or least similar type of gear, in order to determine which type of sound you prefer. Only You can determine that, no one else on this forum can determine that for you.

In terms of cost and maintenance, I can say that from past experience, the tube gear will cost a fair bit each time tube replacements are required. This can typically occur within a period of 3 to 4 years upon average operating hours. If you listen to music every day for several extended hours at a session then tube replacements will happen more often, perhaps every 2 to 3yrs... so it all depends on your listening habits. Also, if you happen to listen to very loud playback levels, the louder you go the sooner those tubes will wear out. Therefore, tube gear cannot be abused.

When it cones to SS, well no issues here at all! SS gear can be left on 24/7 without any sonic degradation whatsoever. In fact, most SS gear makes recommended leaving their components on all the time, unless you were going on a long vacation where you must shut down everything.
In nearly all highend SS gear, leaving the gear on also contributes to superior performance, where everything has warmed up nicely, reached proper thermal levels and it's all good to go. With tube gear you simply cannot leave it on, tubes will wear out in a matter of few months!

Once SS gear goes bad, it just stops working and then you'll know when it requires a parts upgrade or a complete overhaul. Whereas with tube gear, although tubes deteriorate over time, they can keep going for a very long time, even out lasting SS gear, just as long as it's well maintained. Just ask Eve Anne Manley (president of Manley Labs) she says, "tubes rule!"

So, that is the question! SS or tooobs? Only you can determine what you like. Hope it all goes well and keep us posted.
Cheers, RJ

Reactions: Stef

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing