New darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII owner experience

What are the upgrade paths i have if i wanted to keep my integrated yet have more driving power?
darTZeel integrated are rated 200W.
You probably do not need more power (watts) with Stenheim speakers (it very much depends on the distance from the speakers, and on the volume level you listen to).
If by "driving power" you mean the ability for the amplifier to drive the excursion of the speakers' cones, then I think an amp with a bigger power supply, but delivering the same "power" (200W) is appropriate. But, again, do Stenheims really need such a riot of power supply ( = even more that what darTZeel delivers?!) given that they are 8 Ohms (4 to 6 Ohms min, depending on models), and offer very good sensitivity? I strongly doubt.

Focus instead on the the model that will suit your room best, then on the setup.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hansen and Dierkx1
I never earth the Stenheim but because i see so good reviews I’m curious to give a listen.

I like to ear at high levels to feel the bass on my chest and using with the Wilson Alexia 2 i have that. One note, when i up-grade my cables from the Nordost Valhalla2 to the Synergetic research SRX full loom with the Galileo SX power cell the bass increase a lot, a new level.

The darTZeel 8550 II is a superb amplifier and mates exceptionally well with Steinhems. There are probably integrated amplifiers with more grunt, but few are more refined. Speaker cables, as always, will make a significant difference! Good luck with your search.

Reactions: Dierkx1 and Hansen
Hi Hansen,

I have owned by my 8550 for about 6 months.
It is, by far, the best, most advanced, and most powerful amp I have ever owned.
As far as I know, it is significantly more powerful than the quite powerful Dartzeel NHB 108 Model 2. And, of special note to you, Herve is a major fan and user of Stenheim speakers. The 8550 MK2 is 200 watts into 8 ohms and 350 into 4 ohms and continues to increase as the impedance goes down. And its more detailed and specific technical power characteristics make it capable of easily powering almost any load.
If I did not already own and love my Quad 2812X speakers (not a particularly easy load) I would probably get Stenheims greatly because of Herve.

Reactions: Hansen and Dierkx1
Stenheim and darTZeel is a great combination, as the higher efficiency of the speakers allow the amps to operate in a very comfortable power-handling zone.

Alumine 5 and the 108 mk2 as able to fill my large listening room with ease!

Reactions: Hansen
Thanks
darTZeel integrated are rated 200W.
You probably do not need more power (watts) with Stenheim speakers (it very much depends on the distance from the speakers, and on the volume level you listen to).
If by "driving power" you mean the ability for the amplifier to drive the excursion of the speakers' cones, then I think an amp with a bigger power supply, but delivering the same "power" (200W) is appropriate. But, again, do Stenheims really need such a riot of power supply ( = even more that what darTZeel delivers?!) given that they are 8 Ohms (4 to 6 Ohms min, depending on models), and offer very good sensitivity? I strongly doubt.

Focus instead on the the model that will suit your room best, then on the setup.

Good luck.
Thanks for the advice.

Reactions: orfeo_monteverdi
Stenheim and darTZeel is a great combination, as the higher efficiency of the speakers allow the amps to operate in a very comfortable power-handling zone.

Alumine 5 and the 108 mk2 as able to fill my large listening room with ease!

What he said.
I have a new pair of Alumina 5SE in my "normal" sized room (17' x 12'). No problem at all driving them with the 108 mk2.
I found the Stenheim's to work much better with my DarTZeel rather than the new Sasha V and Magico S3 which I also demoed.
Now just waiting on some new speaker cables and interconnect to be delivered.

What he said.
I have a new pair of Alumina 5SE in my "normal" sized room (17' x 12'). No problem at all driving them with the 108 mk2.
I found the Stenheim's to work much better with my DarTZeel rather than the new Sasha V and Magico S3 which I also demoed.
Thanks, curious what speaker cables are planning to hook up your stenheim and 108 mk2?

A set of Siltech Classic Legends 680 should be arriving shortly.
Stenheim used Crystal Cables at Munich (sister company of Siltech) and I have heard Stenheims with all silver cables before - WAY cables and Audio Pur from Massachusetts. I was impressed

What he said.
I have a slightly larger room (18' x 14') and am considering Stenheim 3SE to pair with my 8550. Curious as to why you went with 5SE vs 3SE?

I had the chance to demo both the 3's and the 5SE both fronted with a 8550 (I have the separates)
As per my demo, imho, the 3 presented as a normal speaker on par with my Kudos Titan T88 (one of the highest rated speakers in the UK however mostly only known by Naim and Linn users). If the choice was only the 3 I would have remained with my Titans

It was obvious the 5SE was a different animal. It easily showed why it is so highly regarded. Many at the recent Munich show named the Stenheim room (5SE with new base) as one of the best sounding of the show.

I had interactions with two different Stenheim dealers (one in Europe and one Stateside). Both stated the 5 was a different animal - with the upgraded crossover of the SE making a large and noticeable difference.

Perhaps if the 3 I demoed would have been the SE version my opinion would have changed.

The other thing I liked about the 5SE was its physical size. It is room friendly.

Thanks, appreciate the reply. I'll give both a listen. The local (San Francisco) Stenheim dealer doesn't carry Dartzeel so I'll need to bring my 8550 with me. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing