New darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII owner experience

The Dartzeel is without a doubt, "one of the best" A true top performer and one of those units that will perform very well in a top quality system on par. I also believe it's one of those amps where you're pretty much set for life!
I brought the version one on home trial, although it managed to handle the CLX's quite well, I realised the MK2 had the extra edge. It just had more of everything that the Mk1 fell short on.

This particular integrated of the Dartzeel was on my short list of top three SS amplifiers, which I've been compiling for a few years now, since the Mk1 version was released. I've home trialled 13 different amplifiers and still going... no clear winner as yet but soon.
However, since lately the Dartzeel fell off this list, since I came across this other particular integrated, at just less than half the price of the Dartzeel and performs flawlessly! Another superb product, none other than Burmester. Look out! This one's Outstanding with a capital "O"

Im not saying that the Burmester 032 beats the Dartzeel hands down... no such thing. The two are very different and both perform at the highest level of musicality with finesse! Pricing on the Dart is off-putting (for me...) at $AUD 65grand!
The Burmester 032, i can get at 28grand, that's a massive difference between the two. Also within similar pricing, Pass Labs XA60.8 and XA100.8 monoblocks, and the Vitus SS-103, another superb unit but more expensive than Pass Labs.
So as of now, my current top three:
1. Pass Labs XA60.8 or 100.8
2. Burmester 032
3. Vitus SS-103

The Dartzeel was up there in second position but our current dealer wouldn't budge on the pricing. Fair enough, coming from Swiss-NESS that thick gold face plate alone must cost 20grand!

For those looking out for a really top performance in integrated design, check the B-032, you'll be amazed from the first note onwards. And it can handle full range stats easily.
Woof! RJ
For those who lives in Europe, try APURNA™ Prélude and you will listen to an amplifier that is miles away from the competition. Most of my customers are skilled musicians or audiophiles and they all say "I cannot understand how Franck could design such a performing and musical amplifier". For those who want a sound that has the same DNA than APURNA™, listen to ABORA™ A400Si. At less than 25k€, "just fantastic", french audio dealer that ask to represent ABORA™

For those who lives in Europe, try APURNA™ Prélude and you will listen to an amplifier that is miles away from the competition. Most of my customers are skilled musicians or audiophiles and they all say "I cannot understand how Franck could design such a performing and musical amplifier". For those who want a sound that has the same DNA than APURNA™, listen to ABORA™ A400Si. At less than 25k€, "just fantastic", french audio dealer that ask to represent ABORA™
Thanks for the info. Always good to hear about new things and others experiences. Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near Europe... based in Oz Down Unda. We don't have this brand here nor have any of us even heard this make.
Looks quite interesting indeed, and not too shabby in pricing either. Perhaps something new that others can audition if looking for an upgrade in amplifiers I guess.

Until such time, do enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ

Reactions: PhP
This past year I’ve been searching for a new integrated amplifier to replace a Devialet D-Premier (upgraded to Expert) that has been my primary amplifier for the past decade. The Devialet was a wonderful match for Harbeth speakers (C7ES3) that I previously owned, and the Phono section is really good in my opinion. The Devialet allowed me to hear changes in my system as I upgraded, and two years ago I made some substantial upgrades including Wilson Sasha DAW speakers. Thereafter, my audio system took a huge leap forward in dynamics, imaging and resolution and ultimately exposed the Devialet shortcomings. I have been interested in darTZeel after seeing and hearing their products at audio shows over the years. This past June at THE SHOW, I met Ed Sudario at the Audio Association room and set in motion a demo of the darTZeel integrated at my home, which ultimately led to my purchase.

In my opinion, The darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII integrated amplifier is an absolute gem in the world of high-fidelity audio. Its musicality is breathtaking, effortlessly translating every note into an immersive sonic experience that sounds and feels like nothing else I’ve experienced in my home system. Images just float in space, are solid, and have depth that make my speakers virtually disappear. The soundstage it creates is expansive, with a nuanced and rich sound that brings out details I never knew existed in my favorite tracks. As I primarily listen to vinyl records, I wanted an excellent built in phono preamp and I got it with the darTZeel. My records have never sounded better. There is an analog richness, along with transparency and openness that is pleasing. Voices are dynamic, realistic and beautiful, horns have the proper harmonics and bite, bass is fast and well defined, treble is never harsh, bright or veiled. Surface noise is not accentuated. There is “midrange magic” to a high degree and it just sounds “pretty” to me. I played the Nutcracker from the Royal Ballet Analogue Productions LP last night, and the strings were just beautifully rendered by the darTZeel. I am smitten and very pleased with the overall sound. In terms of build quality, the darTZeel 8550 is precision built and is a testament to darTZeel's commitment to excellence – the 8550 exudes quality, contributing to its exceptional performance and user experience.

Lastly, a shout out to Ed Sudario and The Audio Association. Ed deserves immense praise for his exceptional service and commitment to customer satisfaction. Ed's knowledge and passion for audio gear shine through in his excellent communication, guiding enthusiasts like me with expertise and genuine care. The opportunity to home demo the darTZeel CTH 8550 MKII before purchasing was a game-changer, allowing for a firsthand experience of its capabilities. The overall buying experience at Audio Association was smooth, personalized, and truly elevated by Ed's dedication to ensuring customers find their perfect match in audio equipment.
I did much the same in that I had Devialet Expert and Harbeth SHL5+ for about seven years, then changed to a pair of Wilson speakers for a new room and decided I didn’t like the Devialet as much as I had in the past. The sound started getting a bit brutal. I now have Gryphon which is far more musically engaging, but I’m not suggesting the Devialet is no good (it’s very good). Gryphon integrated is a bit of a brute of an amplifier in a sensibly sized container, which I think is something that makes Dartzeel integrated products, and similar products from other manufacturers, attractive to quite a few people. One difficulty with the Wilson speakers is getting a double bass in a jazz combo to sound like a double bass, with a good hefty twang. With a lesser amplifier, I sometimes got the feeling that the bassist had gone to the bar for a drink or to take a leak.

congrats CJ on your new darTZeel! very happy for you and welcome to the darTZeel family!

the CTH8550 should be a sweet match for your Wilson's.

darTZeel get's the music right. and it's Swiss built like a tank. Ed Sudario will be there for you long term, known him for 20 years.
And now it appears they are out of business

Mmm... I came across this as well. I also had a close chat with one of my contacts in Spore- importer who also offers the full line-up of Dartzeel including the top of the line monoblocks ($220grand a pair) very very nice. He didn't specify anything further than waiting to receive an official update from the Swiss company. They still do have a few back orders of those 200grand monoblocks to complete and ship out... so I'm thinking it's business as usual. Only time will tell, other than that it's mostly speculation. No point in speculating unless we're sure.

Until such time, enjoy those finest tunes!
Woofty woof'n! RJ

Thanks for the info. Always good to hear about new things and others experiences. Unfortunately, I'm not anywhere near Europe... based in Oz Down Unda. We don't have this brand here nor have any of us even heard this make.
Looks quite interesting indeed, and not too shabby in pricing either. Perhaps something new that others can audition if looking for an upgrade in amplifiers I guess.

Until such time, do enjoy those finest tunes!
Woof! RJ
Very few people have hear about APURNA™ because this is a confidential brand which design amplifiers like ultra precision instruments and can make 10 to 12 units per year, 20 at the very last. These are fanatic electronics, and they are sold only in France and CEE + Switzerland. The price is around many competitors that bought parts cheaper parts. My best pleasure is when a melamine listen to them and say "I could not imagine hear so distinctively between 2 brands of piano". This audiophile is a very good pianist, his wife too. His wife listen and comment "these monoblocs are just fantastic". We plan to sell in USA next year.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu