Musical Fidelity A5 integrated

puroagave

Member Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
Felix, sorry if i missed it, what are these mystery speakers of yours?

i had an MF A3 from ~15-yrs ago and it was really good but not what i would call sunny. like i said, the naim is sunny, vivid and alive, vocals separate from the soundfield and seem to hang in front of the speakers - on the harbeths the bass kicks pretty good for just 80w and handles fortissimos with aplomb. btw, i recently sold off a classe cap-2100, as you pointed out the classe sound is relaxed way too relaxed for my steup.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Felix has Dunlavy loudspeakers according to his profile. Don't know if he's changed speakers since he wrote it.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Too bad about Belles..I honestly don't agree..but that is ok!

The McIntosh series I refer to is all solid state, and ANYTHING but mud.....

I know the Mac is SS.

I also think you may be over estimating the amount of power you need.

Why would you say that? Seriously. Best I can tell, you've never had the speakers I own, you've never been in my room, you have no clue as to my playback requirements, and you clearly do not understand the sonic criteria outlined earlier in the thread. I mean, I come here to talk to experienced audiophiles....

Hmm..it seems this going to be a frustrating search for you. ;)

I can always buy the Krell.

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I had the A5 pre & power combo a few years back.

I compared them to the A5 int along with the new back then Chinese made versions of Audiolab gear, the int, Q pre and power. Source was A5 cdp and speakers were Dynaudio Focus standmounts. The A5 was easy to listen to, nicely transparent but lacking a little in dynamic's and in particular slam. It sounded on the soft side by comparison to the other amps I heard, rather in the way a modestly powered tube amp can sound under powered driving inefficient standmounts, nice even beautiful but the midrange can be rather recessed leaving you thinking 'what's missing'. The Audiolab 8000s was a little grey sounding while the q/p delivered real drive and energy at the expense of delicacy. The A5 pre was a nice combo with the 8000p but ultimately I found the A5 pre/pwr to be the best of all world's and a step up that justified it's price compared to the A5. I ultimately bought them.

I've not heard them but others I spoke to said the A5.5 and A1008 addressed the areas I wasn't convinced about in the A5 int.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I had the A5 pre & power combo a few years back.

I compared them to the A5 int along with the new back then Chinese made versions of Audiolab gear, the int, Q pre and power. Source was A5 cdp and speakers were Dynaudio Focus standmounts. The A5 was easy to listen to, nicely transparent but lacking a little in dynamic's and in particular slam. It sounded on the soft side by comparison to the other amps I heard, rather in the way a modestly powered tube amp can sound under powered driving inefficient standmounts, nice even beautiful but the midrange can be rather recessed leaving you thinking 'what's missing'. The Audiolab 8000s was a little grey sounding while the q/p delivered real drive and energy at the expense of delicacy. The A5 pre was a nice combo with the 8000p but ultimately I found the A5 pre/pwr to be the best of all world's and a step up that justified it's price compared to the A5. I ultimately bought them.

I've not heard them but others I spoke to said the A5.5 and A1008 addressed the areas I wasn't convinced about in the A5 int.

Thank you very much!

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
I know the Mac is SS.

Why would you say that? Seriously. Best I can tell, you've never had the speakers I own, you've never been in my room, you have no clue as to my playback requirements, and you clearly do not understand the sonic criteria outlined earlier in the thread. I mean, I come here to talk to experienced audiophiles....

I can always buy the Krell.

I obviously did not make my self clear. Of course I have no clue about your system. Who else does here? You
are asking for advice on a forum.

Trying to determine the right amp for you based on a spec sheet is misguided in my opinion. I have had over 75 amps come through my systems.
I can tell you that I have had 60 wpc amps sound more visceral and do more woofer flapping then some 150 wpc amps. Numbers WILL not
tell you the whole story, not even close.

Secondly, your statements about despising the Belles sound and calling McIntosh SS mud really leave me perplexed, hence
my statement about a frustrating search.

Krell? Why not. I have no experience with the lower end but I thought the EVO series sounded terrific.:)

Above, all happy hunting.:cool:

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
I really can't imagine a $1500 integrated, nor for that matter a $3000 integrated (discussing used in both cases) doing justice to your speakers. JMO, of course, but I would think you'd be wanting to look at something like SimAudio or Pass Labs at your lowest (price) end.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I can tell you that I have had 60 wpc amps sound more visceral and do more woofer flapping then some 150 wpc amps. Numbers WILL not
tell you the whole story, not even close.

After doing this for ~30 years, I didn't know this about amplifiers. It's a revelation.

Secondly, your statements about despising the Belles sound and calling McIntosh SS mud really leave me perplexed, hence my statement about a frustrating search.

Clearly, I'm not the only one who questions your sonic assessments, as can be seen in the comments link'd below:

http://www.avrev.com/home-theater-p...io-hydra-hybrid-power-amplifier-review-3.html

I couldn't help noticing that your room is small and your speakers are fairly undynamic. No turntable, either, right? It's likely safe to say that the sound you get is different from my personal expectations of an actualized system.

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
I really can't imagine a $1500 integrated, nor for that matter a $3000 integrated (discussing used in both cases) doing justice to your speakers. JMO, of course, but I would think you'd be wanting to look at something like SimAudio or Pass Labs at your lowest (price) end.

Heh, I heard and used dozens upon dozens of amplifiers with these speakers, ranging from a humble Audiolab integrated to a MC225 to a DR9 to a CAT to a pair of MDAs to Premier 8As, etc, etc, etc. There's little left to imagine.
While we're on the subject, what is your experience with these speakers? I mean, I'm on my third pair over the course of 17 years, I've represented the brand trained my JD (personally), and I've demo'd and setup the speakers in seemingly every possible configuration. What is it that you know that I don't?

FWIW, I bought a KrellS300i. It should be here Monday.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
Heh, I heard and used dozens upon dozens of amplifiers with these speakers, ranging from a humble Audiolab integrated to a MC225 to a DR9 to a CAT to a pair of MDAs to Premier 8As, etc, etc, etc. There's little left to imagine.
While we're on the subject, what is your experience with these speakers? I mean, I'm on my third pair over the course of 17 years, I've represented the brand trained my JD (personally), and I've demo'd and setup the speakers in seemingly every possible configuration. What is it that you know that I don't?

Probably nothing, although I've heard a couple of different pairs over the years, including one pair driven (for a while at least) by a 30 W/ch Prologue tube amp (while waiting for main amp repairs). And what the heck, I've posted elsewhere about how impressed I was by the sound of TAD Ref-1's driven by a Peachtree integrated. None of that changes my opinion that the speakers would sound noticeably better (or would have sounded better) with a higher quality amp. Enough to warrant the additional expense? Only you can answer that question.

coolcobramatt

May 13, 2013
EDIT...I just read your last post and saw you went with the Krell. Leaving my thoughts on MF for anyone else that may have the same question.

I joined just to reply to your thread (after perusing Google for an A5) since it seems no one has any experience with Musical Fidelity. I'm a long time Agoner who loves changing equipment up every few years.

I have owned alot of integrateds, and sold my first MF A300 only to go back to it a few years later. In the meantime, I had a Plinius 8200 mkII and Krell 400xi to name a few. The Krell was highly unimpressive and simply ran out of steam on my Martin Logans (also on my Paradigm Studio Ref 100 V3's) compared to the Plinius and MF. The sound of the MF was the best of all but please note past owners do hint at the newer MF's losing some of the "tube-like" sound of the A300. I'm on my second A300 and it truly sounds wonderful. They do tend to get dust in the volume pot, causing a little crackle if you turn the volume up by hand fast. Use the remote or go slow and no issues. Mine is no different, same darn crackle. The A300 is rated at 150 wpc @ 8 ohms and 250 @ 4 ohms. I can tell you from years of ownership, it's a STRONG amp and has driven 4 different sets of Martin Logans (from large SL3's to smaller Aeon i's/Vistas to my current Theos) and drives them well. I've never had to turn my volume up past 40% to get an amazing level of volume and clarity. This amp would be well under your budget as well (running usually around $850-900).

I am selling mine to upgrade to the A5 or else I would not have stumbled upon your thread. If you have any concerns about Musical Fidelity, I can tell you I love the brand. The sound is everything you have probably read, only better when matched up to great speakers. If I didn't want to feed my ML's with even more power (think extended headroom for movie soundtracks), I wouldn't even consider selling it.

Hope this helps you in your research! Feel free to email me if you have any other questions matthewmartin@juno.com ...now to scour this site to see what it's all about :)

egidius

Member Sponsor
Feb 13, 2011
Switzerland
krell modified fantastic

As i said earlier, i know the 300iL, which made me move upwards..
the 300i has not a very good reputation, except there are some people who say: hold on, you can make very easily something great out of it:

In Germany it is clockwork.de, and I much later heard a modded 300, that was unrecognisably sweet without loosing the punch that I loved so much on first hearing.

Why don't you get in touch with them and see who does similar things in the states?

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
As i said earlier, i know the 300iL, which made me move upwards..
the 300i has not a very good reputation,...

I wish I'd heard of its reputation - I'm assuming we're taking about the latest S300i - before deciding to install it into my system and listen for myself. :)

except there are some people who say: hold on, you can make very easily something great out of it:

In Germany it is clockwork.de, and I much later heard a modded 300, that was unrecognisably sweet without loosing the punch that I loved so much on first hearing.

Why don't you get in touch with them and see who does similar things in the states?

I do appreciate the tip. Thank you.

FWIW, this is what I think of the Krell: Its presentation is mid-hall, the sound leans more toward smoothness (all around - it doesn't sound rolled-off); it is not harmonically rich nor would I call its sound dry. Not in the least. It's kinda unexciting at first. If anything, its operation doesn't call a lot of attention to itself. Neutral is an often misused term and I won't repeat the pattern. To my ears, it leans just ever so slightly toward warmth. Not hi-fi sounding. It's a presentation that's easy to live with day to day, and I (personally) don't feel like the system is lacking much. A better phono stage and a a new arm, but that's another topic all-around.

Room treatments: I didn't have much experience with the concept, other than installing the audiophile-approved products in the days I sold them. Ethan, thank you very much for the intro and for sharing your expertise. It helped a lot and gave me a bit to go on. I've since installed several products, after quite a bit of experimentation coupled with some book-learnin' and the results are better than I could have ever expected.

I also added a subwoofer to handle (don't laugh) a span of less than an octave. I chose the Outlaw EX. Not much to say about the sub that can't be imagined with a good sense of reality, but the Auralex Gramma platform I used with it was/is a revelation. The bulk of the benefit was floor-driven, but still... I can talk about that a bit more if anyone is interested.

Cheap wire: I mean, cheap. Chinese ribbon-type interconnects advertised as 80% silver from Ebay. Cost of a pizza. I decided to try some, along with a bunch of other wire I can discuss another time. I mention this product for two reasons: One, my home is located within 2 square miles of 9 transmission towers and I prefer LOMC carts. Do I have to explain the problem any further? This Chinese wire (with a bit of dressing) is the single quietest cable I've used in this application (ie. with a Black Cube). Two, it doesn't sound bright, but it certainly isn't mellow. Its mids are a bit thin, but it has the Bass of the Godz (as always, for the price, blah, blah, blah.)

All being said, I'm very happy and I'm having a blast spinning records (buying a ton, too), but, but, with the Krell the CDs don't sound so bad, either. So, I've been playing quite a bit of redbook, and buying those things too. I wouldn't mention that, it it weren't so ...well...shocking in Felix Land, for a lack of a better descriptor.

As a close to this installment of my audiophile saga, I've purchased two cassette decks - the per-requisite Nak and a Tascam pro unit. Inspired by the idea of Cassettivity and its offerings, plus the unyielding fact that I looove tape machines, I'm ready for something new and old at the same time.

Last edited:

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
EDIT...I just read your last post and saw you went with the Krell. Leaving my thoughts on MF for anyone else that may have the same question.

I joined just to reply to your thread (after perusing Google for an A5) since it seems no one has any experience with Musical Fidelity. I'm a long time Agoner who loves changing equipment up every few years.

I have owned alot of integrateds, and sold my first MF A300 only to go back to it a few years later. In the meantime, I had a Plinius 8200 mkII and Krell 400xi to name a few. The Krell was highly unimpressive and simply ran out of steam on my Martin Logans (also on my Paradigm Studio Ref 100 V3's) compared to the Plinius and MF. The sound of the MF was the best of all but please note past owners do hint at the newer MF's losing some of the "tube-like" sound of the A300. I'm on my second A300 and it truly sounds wonderful. They do tend to get dust in the volume pot, causing a little crackle if you turn the volume up by hand fast. Use the remote or go slow and no issues. Mine is no different, same darn crackle. The A300 is rated at 150 wpc @ 8 ohms and 250 @ 4 ohms. I can tell you from years of ownership, it's a STRONG amp and has driven 4 different sets of Martin Logans (from large SL3's to smaller Aeon i's/Vistas to my current Theos) and drives them well. I've never had to turn my volume up past 40% to get an amazing level of volume and clarity. This amp would be well under your budget as well (running usually around $850-900).

I am selling mine to upgrade to the A5 or else I would not have stumbled upon your thread. If you have any concerns about Musical Fidelity, I can tell you I love the brand. The sound is everything you have probably read, only better when matched up to great speakers. If I didn't want to feed my ML's with even more power (think extended headroom for movie soundtracks), I wouldn't even consider selling it.

Hope this helps you in your research! Feel free to email me if you have any other questions matthewmartin@juno.com ...now to scour this site to see what it's all about :)

Thank you for such kind, relevant, and thoughtful comments. Please post more often.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
Probably nothing, although I've heard a couple of different pairs over the years, including one pair driven (for a while at least) by a 30 W/ch Prologue tube amp (while waiting for main amp repairs). And what the heck, I've posted elsewhere about how impressed I was by the sound of TAD Ref-1's driven by a Peachtree integrated. None of that changes my opinion that the speakers would sound noticeably better (or would have sounded better) with a higher quality amp. Enough to warrant the additional expense? Only you can answer that question.

Sure, gauging the aural quality and the stranding of individual components by listening from alack of a specific point of reference works great. Sonic Nirvana every time.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing