My audio confessions, all the way from sunny Portugal

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Greetings all.

My name is Ricardo Canelas, I've been exposed to the hobby by a great friend and mentor in all music things here in Lisbon. I've been exposed to music all my life, as my dad made sure I listened to King Crimson by the time I was 10. Played bass for a punk band not late after, graduated to jazz double bass after that and that's where I found my limits as a musician.

I assume most here share the moving target audio goals syndrome, otherwise we'd have very little to discuss. I'm passionate about the experimental side of the hobby and supporting those that believe they have something worth sharing. At the moment my system has at its core a custom integrated push-pull 45W JP Amplifiers Viriatus integrated, paired with a fantastic Brutus MM phono stage, also from JP. My trusty SP10 mk2 keeps good pace, currently allowing a Pickering V15 on a Micro Seiki MA202 to do its thing. The SP10 has the most fantastic story. After shaking hands for it, I learned it was taken from the BBC studios in Glasgow, after asking about the weird stickers on the psu box.
My digital chain is in flux, inspired by posts here and conversations with fellow listeners. Don't have a large file collection, streaming is enough.

Academic by training, have a PhD in fluid mechanics and computing, for what its worth. I'm an engineer, identifying, modeling and solving problems is my jam.

The pandemic and resulting confinements have been taking their toll on the social aspect of this, but also good things have come out of it. Managed to gain enough momentum to put some long thought audio projects in motion and 'reconnect' with the online community. Then something very curious happened: a boutique manufacturer/importer got wind of my ideas, connected, and launched a challenge: think about your personal project as something others might want as well and go from there. Long story short, gained another mentor, had my first client from another country a few months later, Cinnamon (Canelas, sort of my name in English) was born and the party continues. I'm focused in producing bespoke components that incorporate my knowledge of wave dispersion from the acoustics perspective and the sota in frequency/time reproduction. Most of all, this is an amazing excuse to learn a lot, listen to a lot of fantastic systems and have fun, while being proud of enabling other to enjoy their music in their terms.

I'm in the process of starting heavy works at my house, resulting, amongst others, in a dedicated listening room, so these are very exciting times! Already have a utility pole just for us, half way there...

I expect to learn a lot from such a class act of a forum.

Ron Resnick

Site Co-Owner, Administrator
Jan 24, 2015
Beverly Hills, CA
Welcome to WBF, Ricardo! Thank you for introducing yourself to us!

A dedicated listening room is a very exciting project!

Reactions: RCanelas

RCanelas

Dec 28, 2021
Lisbon, Portugal
cinnamonaudio.com
Welcome to WBF, Ricardo! Thank you for introducing yourself to us!

A dedicated listening room is a very exciting project!
I still have no idea how I convinced my partner to go along with this, but its happening :)

Maybe due to historic momentum, our reconciliatory spirit here in europe has moved our systems to the living room. I'm not looking for reconciliation here, if I want to listen to DiDonato poking holes in Shubert's ceiling at 3am, in the best possible way.

Room will be irregular (non square walls) but symmetric, aprox 4.5x5.5x2.8m ( that's 14.8x18x9.2 ft, had to google it up). Separate power line, still need to figure our what to do about grounding (share the same rods as the rest of the house or have a dedicated rod/line).

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing